Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jammed Tram!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Bee
    How come then that QBC's are not filled with busses?

Or tram/rail lines are not filled with carraiges?

Or the sky is not filled with airplanes?

Are you living on a different planet to the rest of us?

QBC's (proper ones anyway) are filled with buses
    Irish Rail are spending millions to increase the capacity of the Dart through longer trains and more frequent services.
    Dublin airport is bursting at the seams, why do you think there are constant demands for a new terminal?

Simply because there is more space available than trams/busses/airplanes...Your arguement has many logical flaws Victor, not least is that you assume everyone wants to drive in the city centre.

Everyone (or as close to everyone as makes no difference) does. It is only because of financial and logistical (nowhere to park the offending vehicle) constraints that so many people use public transport now.

People of the calibre that gave us the Red cow MadAbout possessing the lack of foresight of an ant probably thought that "lets make it really awkward, we won't build roads/flyovers sure it will only encourage cars!!! and doubles all around for the geniass that stuck traffic lights on it!" Presumably the same cretins become aroused by reducing roadspace to hinder progress.Or beter still install tolls and make plenty of "donations" to your favorite political party to keep the status quo. Of course if you are not in a job that generates profits and are rewarded on results why be arsed about simple things like traffic! It makes perfect sense then to employ civil servants to engineer traffic in Dublin.

No discussion is complete without a rambling rant about all those one despises is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Various locations have been touted for bus stations, including many moons ago, the site at Wood Quay that now has the Civic Offices.

Two possible solutions would be (a) remove all the non-long distance routes from Busaras and (b) build a new station as part of the Grangegorman / Broadstone redevelopment or in the Docklands.
    Originally posted by Bee
    Any one got any realistic proposals on how to resolve the farce twixt Luas and Busses at Busaras.?
    Possibly by reversing the flow of busses through the station. I'm not sure if there are any technical restraints on this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Originally posted by Victor

Two possible solutions would be (a) remove all the non-long distance routes from Busaras and (b) build a new station as part of the Grangegorman / Broadstone redevelopment or in the Docklands. Possibly by reversing the flow of busses through the station. I'm not sure if there are any technical restraints on this though.

Now that's an idea. If the LUAS could extended down to the docklands and connect with the bus station and then eventually join with the red line. That would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Two possible solutions would be (a) remove all the non-long distance routes from Busaras and (b) build a new station as part of the Grangegorman / Broadstone redevelopment or in the Docklands

Excellent point Victor. Perhaps if they could find space to build a few major bus stations near motorways at major public access points that lead into Dublin via Dart/Rail/Luas it would do us all some service.

Why oh Why, can't they tackle the obvious screw up along Busaras prior to the Luas going live to ensure free flowing Luas movement?

Currently its a farce. You will have Luas blaming Busses and in turn they will blame Dublin **** ******* for its traffic control.

At the very least I would change the entrance/exit points and have it traffic light controlled.

All parties need to be sat around a table now! Prior to it going live and causing consternation.

Bee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Originally posted by John R
    Are you living on a different planet to the rest of us?

Yes, I have come to take over your planet!:cool:

QBC's (proper ones anyway) are filled with buses

Being more southside based perhaps I am missing something but anytime I cycle paralell to many QBC's I have never found them filled with busses. I also need to drive on frequent occassions and also have witnessed few busses in QBC's!:confused:

Please enlighten me so I can perhaps take photographs of the bus filled QBC's
    Are we reaching a situation of bus congestion in QBC's? I propose double decker QBC's to alleviate the bus congestion.;)

No discussion is complete without a rambling rant about all those one despises is it?

I don't despise anyone. I come from a long line of engineers that worked in mission critical situations where failure was not an option. If anything I get frustrated easily when I see tax payers money being mis- spent time after time when with a little fore sight and professionalism all of the major hurdles could be overcome.

Bee

I work in a different profession to engineering but believe me you would not want me to make any mistakes if I was err...doing something for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement