Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitos in Ireland???

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They were in Wexford for a few hours on Friday night and then disappeared and not seen since :confused:[HTML][/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

gozunda wrote: »
    Yes the females do....some years around Malahide the were right b*stards...

Still are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I posted about these in the Dublin 15 forum a couple pf weeks ago.

They are in other areas Dublin too though.

Pesky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wildwolf1

I had them about a month ago here on the East Coast, and they make the same sound as mossies - swatted over 100 of them in one evening after i had left the front door open! Luckily, after swatting the remainder that appeared over the next 4 days or so, I haven't had any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

My moth trap attracts large numbers of them. I have been bitten a few times. Every bit as bad as mosquito bites I got in Africa, but no malaria to worry about here thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do our native mossies bite though? I've seen these guys in my gaff too and can't say I or anyone else I know has been bitten by anything apart from midges.

Two or three of the 20 or so species in Ireland can bite. Five to six of the 30+ species in Britain can bite.

In each case it is the females that bite

gozunda wrote: »
    I believe that is indeed a mossie. I don't get it why people don't believe there are indeed mossies in Ireland! Not only are they indigenous but they are fairly common too. A number of years ago Fingal co co were out spraying stagnant water near the Malahide estuary because the lil buggers were breeding so well and eating people....

Yeah don't understand it myself why people are trying to say they are not in Ireland when there are roughly 20 recorded species for Ireland and have been on record for decades and decades at this point.

They are not new to Ireland at all, and certainly not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

They're still all over the place here in Cork. I thought they were supposed to die off when the cold weather comes in. I'm killing a lash of them every day.

I've incorporated mozzie murder into my daily routine. I get up, kill a three or four mozzies, then start my day, kill a few more through out the day, then always end up killing three or four more before I go to be. I'm starting to develop a real phobia, and jump whenever I hear a buzz. Sometimes even when my phone vibrates in my pocket.

I'm getting bit often. Those horrible little bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah ours in West Waterford are still here too. Haven't got bitten though, so I'm not sure they're same species as French mosquitos. The cats and dog have been scratching a lot though, and still are despite a slightly early re-treat for fleas etc... so I'm guessing they get bitten, maybe that's enough blood for the suckers. :D

We have a pile of turf for the stove outside under an awning, and when I rummaged in there a bit the other day, there was a cloud of mosquitos flying out... that's near a draining ditch, so obviously the perfect nursery :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

For anyone thats pestered by the little bas***s....
    if you get bitten and its still very itchy get a cloth/tissue and douse it with ALCOHOL VINEGAR and rub into bitten area.
    Hey presto, the urge to itch fades away:)
    source: I live in an area where I have to deal with the little bas***s daily especially the tiger one which has run rampant in the area in a short space of time....
    the ordinary mossie bites in the morning and evening....
    Tiger bites all day and all night:(

• Advertisement

kupus wrote: »
    For anyone thats pestered by the little bas***s....
    if you get bitten and its still very itchy get a cloth/tissue and douse it with ALCOHOL VINEGAR and rub into bitten area.
    Hey presto, the urge to itch fades away:)
    source: I live in an area where I have to deal with the little bas***s daily especially the tiger one which has run rampant in the area in a short space of time....
    the ordinary mossie bites in the morning and evening....
    Tiger bites all day and all night:(

You have tiger mosquitoes ( Aedes albopictus ) in large numbers somewhere in Ireland?

You sure it is not Culiseta annulata that is in your area as it is often mistaken for a Tiger mosquito.

If you do have Tiger mosquitoes then you should report them. They can carry and transmit West Nile virus to humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Kess73 wrote: »
    You have tiger mosquitoes ( Aedes albopictus ) in large numbers somewhere in Ireland?

You sure it is not Culiseta annulata that is in your area as it is often mistaken for a Tiger mosquito.

If you do have Tiger mosquitoes then you should report them. They can carry and transmit West Nile virus to humans.

I dont live in Ireland but give me a dose of midgets anyday compared to these tiger bst++ds, they dont bother the oh at all when Im around..... they just love to chew on me instead, all I have to do is step out for a smoke and I get bit if I dont keep moving, (i call this keep fit smoking) so I always have vinegar handy cos I hate the smell of anti mossie spray

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I dont live in Ireland but give me a dose of midgets
    Midges - no 't'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Kess73 wrote: »

I dont live in Ireland but give me a dose of midgets anyday compared to these tiger bst++ds, they dont bother the oh at all when Im around..... they just love to chew on me instead, all I have to do is step out for a smoke and I get bit if I dont keep moving, (i call this keep fit smoking) so I always have vinegar handy cos I hate the smell of anti mossie spray

I think you should be referring to "Midges"
    Some eegit in the recent past has managed to translate "Midges" to a term insulting to erm rather smaller people

Anyway the correct term is MIDGES
    ....otherwise known as Chironomus plumosus.

Calling them midgets is like calling bettles blick fellas or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Have killed about 6 of these fellas over the past week or so in the bathroom. Whenever I tell people about it the usual response is "there are no mosquitos in Ireland". :rolleyes:

Noopti wrote: »
    Have killed about 6 of these fellas over the past week or so in the bathroom. Whenever I tell people about it the usual response is "there are no mosquitos in Ireland". :rolleyes:

ya its like St patrick drove them out of Ireland along with the snakes :rolleyes:

The van must have been packed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Had a couple in the car, wasn't sure they were proper mosquitoes first but then had some in the house. Took up residency in the ensuite and bedroom. When I got a close look they were definitely similiar to one's that ate me alive when on hols in the past, with the back to fronty back legs & dangling from the ceiling on their front two when asleep. OH didn't believe we had them until he had a look but smushed them before I could take a pic. Spiders web got one as well,but wasn't much to see after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Literally swarmed outside my front porch door last night. The number was between 30 to 100. It was around dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I think these are what I have been dealing with too in my house! Increasing numbers of the last few weeks, killing 10~ a night now, not to mention the ones flying around during the day. I am pretty good with having windows etc closed at night but still doesn't seem to lower the numbers. Any idea how to deal with them, why there are so many?

http://imgur.com/a/ubkZE

Joseph wrote: »
    I think these are what I have been dealing with too in my house! Increasing numbers of the last few weeks, killing 10~ a night now, not to mention the ones flying around during the day. I am pretty good with having windows etc closed at night but still doesn't seem to lower the numbers. Any idea how to deal with them, why there are so many?

http://imgur.com/a/ubkZE

The wet summer and the late warm period has pushed the breeding cycle later than usual.

If you have areas of stagnant water / pond / open still water near you mossies can bred in quite large numbers.

You can get a plug in mosquito repellant from travel section of any dept store or large chemists such as boots. Plug them in at night to keep the little bleeders under control..

• Advertisement
Advertisement