Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitos in Ireland???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

With out any shadow of doubt I've killed several of these in the last two days. with their little whiz as they fly by your ear had to get out of bed twice last night and four times the night before to look for them in the room and they are most definitely a form of mosquito honestly I'm no expert but have seen many on my travels across many continents.
    And these are very similar to all I've seen before.

I'd just love to know why .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

I was out watching the meteor shower last night from 10:00pm to 12:15am. On about three occasions I heard that very same high pitched whine that a mosquito makes. Don't think it could have been anything else and I have to say it is the first time I have heard it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

I am certain that there was a mosquito here in my bedroom just now. It's what led me to this page, (it didn't type the url or anything). I killed the little ****er but I can't find the body (kind of like when they kill Micheal Myers).
    Certain it was a mosquito, it kept probing me. I'm switching to team Jacob now that I have had a run in with a real vampire. There was nothing romantic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

A mosquito borne disease is badly affecting the Blackbird (Tudus merula) population in Germany. First identified last year, the Usutu Virus has now spread from southern into central and north-western Germany.

http://www.fli.bund.de/en/startseite/current-news/animal-disease-situation/usutu-virus-bei-amseln.html

I guess this will likely spread to Ireland in the near future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Arachn

Had more then 10 of them last night here in Lucan. My forehead looks like a shooting target.. :)
    One little bustard was trying to suck my blood when I was watching TV even all lights were on.

• Advertisement

It was definetely a mosquito in my room the other night, I'm destroyed in bites. I'm only posting here, I don't know, out of sense of disbelief. I live in Cork by the way. It might be important in this instance to point that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have a few of these outside at the moment (Rathfarnham), bitten last week

218489.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Seem to be lots of them around. I have never been bitten as much as I have this year. I seem to have bites constantly. As soon as one lot start to go I get eaten alive again. Whatever that thing in the last photo is alive and feeding on me in Wexford!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I have an insectocutor (bought in lidl a few years ago) in my kitchen to catch any flies when I looked at it a few days ago I was really supprised to see a mozzie ( I googled images on them and it was definitely a mozzie. Dont know how true it is but if you drink marmite they wont come near you. He was like the above picture from joker77 but it had stripes across its back.

I emailed Samuel L Jackson about it and he said "We need to get the motherfu ckin mosquitos out of the motherfu ckin Ireland."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

I've noticed them in abundance this year and last. I killed 3 just now in my bedroom(Hence me jumping on the net to see if others have noticed this problem too). I had the window open most of the day. The worst time for them to come out is dusk. I've been bitten a number of times this year and last and have had the unpleasant experience of hearing them whirring by my head just as I was about to sleep. It never used to be that way in Ireland. Definitely a recent phenomenon(the aggressive ones that attack you that is). When I was living in Thailand I used to buy this electric plug in that let off some poison for the mozzies. Worked a charm, I'd see loads of dead mozzies on the floor just before I'd go to bed. I hope they sell stuff like that here. Having them in your room when you're tired is the worst thing ever. Impossible to sleep with those parasites whirring around the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

I heard there is a new mosquito tax coming in soon.

Blood sucking parasites

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Just caught 5 of them in my room buzzing around. Big ones as well! And it's getting worse, I'm seeing them all over the house now :( They're a nuisance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

bythewoods wrote: »
    Not the best thread to wander into after you've just studied Malaria pathology and anti-malarial drugs. OMG HYPNOZOITES EVERYWHERE. Or something. We're all going to die. Oh God. Drain the bogs.

Been saying for years there were mozzies in Ireland, the amount of incredulity I got -have moved to the States I just found out West Nile virus has made it to our state (New Mexico)

Now whilst there is only a 20% chance of showing any symptoms what sucks (pardon the pun) is not having any test to see if you got bit and infected and you are fine. T'would be handy not to have to bother with the DEET.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm in Dublin 13. Noticed mozzies last summer, but only a couple in the house. This year, I had a pond built in front garden and I am noticing mozzies nightly when going to bed. They are usually around the landing light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was talking to a Russian girl I work with and she recommended mixing vodka with water in a spray-mist bottle and spraying it on any exposed skin if you have mosquitos in your house/garden.They hate the smell of it apparently and won't bite you.Tried it after getting savaged by the bastards on my legs a few weeks ago and it works!

She also said to dab cotton wool soaked with neat vodka onto the bites to reduce swelling and relieve itching and that worked too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Was talking to a Russian girl I work with and she recommended mixing vodka with water in a spray-mist bottle and spraying it on any exposed skin if you have mosquitos in your house/garden.They hate the smell of it apparently and won't bite you.Tried it after getting savaged by the bastards on my legs a few weeks ago and it works!

She also said to dab cotton wool soaked with neat vodka onto the bites to reduce swelling and relieve itching and that worked too!

In fairness Vodka is to Russians as Windex is to Americans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 oldfart

I have definitely seen some too - a midge can bite and cause a large swelling, surprising saying they are so small. I have definitely seen mozzies though!! Horrible things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is there another small little ****er that buzzes by you're ear had one last night and killed him straight away not sure if a mosquito though pics would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

hhhmmm interesting this thread was revived.
    I'm French and living here about 15 years, and up to now I was like "nananana nahh" with my French family getting bitten every year, over there, and no sign of them here.
    But just 2 days ago, i saw one on my kitchen window, and it really looked the same as the mosquitoes in France !

No bites though so far... if it were a real mosquito, you can be sure he'd have had a snack at one of us (my family), but I think they're just impostors. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I lived on the continent for a few years and of course have also holidayed across it and expect to have to put up with mozzies. Just having one little sneaky hiding bugger in an apartment is enough to get a few nights of getting bitten. But I don't really expect the same in Ireland or the UK so I've been pretty disappointed to have had an invasion of them over the last few days. I've killed scores of the feckers (living in East Meath btw) and frankly have never seen so many indoors. And if they aren't mosquitoes then they sure look and sound like them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've been bitten by mosquitos in Cork City a few times in the last while.
    They're are absolutely definitely mosquitos too with the classic high pitch buzz noise.

We'd enough of them in the house to actually have to plug in defusers we bought in France.

There are some essential oil combinations you can use in a defuser that produce smells that mosquitos detest and humans find like a nice pleasant room fragrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Danny Baker on BBC radio was wondering about Mosquitoes this morning - "its like the battle of Britain in my back garden these days"

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

The Dr00g wrote: »
    I just wondered what was the official stance on this now?

I found one in my house a few nights ago. I trapped the little sh1t under a glass and starved it to death. Took 3 days to die. :rolleyes:

Make sure you didn't get malaria:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They've definitely been around in Cork for the last few years though.

I'd say the very damp summer probably just increases numbers as it means they've loads of stagnant pools of water to breed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah, I heard the high pitched flying right by your ear as well recently, and it's true it totally sounds the same as the French mosquitos flying, had never heard it before with the other bugs we get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I've noticed a few around the house these past few nights. Got badly bitten a few years back in the West at around this time of year which is when I always notice them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 oldfart

there were several in my house last night - must have left the light on and window open - they are discusting, and hang from the ceiling - waiting like little vampires. hoovered them all up fast little blighters

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

oldfart wrote: »
    there were several in my house last night - must have left the light on and window open - they are discusting, and hang from the ceiling - waiting like little vampires. hoovered them all up fast little blighters

Just killed one of the little feckers there ! ( Dublin )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

ive killed another today....can anyone tell me an i right in saying that they dont fly like a normal fly does....mozzies seem to fly slower and its more hovering ?????? hard to describe other than they are more easier to swat as they are a bit slower..am i right???

Advertisement