Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Oireland's second fcuk up

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Thread moved and merged.

Crikey. It must be failed links, cos they wouldnt have pulled the plug on it so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Originally posted by mike65
    I quipped that he must have spent the afternoon going "Grainne Seiao-Seiga-Sioga ah ****!" :D

Mike.

Why do all the female newsreaders have to have Irish names these days ?

There's a newsreader on Newstalk106 called (something like) Chlioooohhna Ni Chrrrruellllly. I'm sure she's normally Cliodhna Crowley or something.

Grawwwwnnnyeeah Sheeeohiga has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

well, im glad it wasn't my fta receiver acting up anyway;)

(.....thanks for the move dmc, forgots about this thread sillyme)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

They had serious breakups on one prerecorded report, and a lot of pixelating on another during the seven o clock bulletin, with Grainne having to cut to the Sport report early so it must be technical problems in the Dublin studio.

The active rerun is still being broadcast, so at a guess it will be back to normal tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well so much for their commitment to Ireland. There should have been a notice in place. If Sky wants to build up a loyal Irish base, they want acknowledge our existence. Tonight was a joke to pull the plug as if nothing had happened....
    Perhaps they don't want to mention SN Ireland on the UK channel??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Perhaps they don't want to mention SN Ireland on the UK channel??

They have, and they will. A feature on Adam Boulton's Sunday programme, and numerous mentions about Sky News Active... Something cocked up and reverted to Plan A. They are a rolling news station, don't expect a test card!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by DMC
    They have, and they will. A feature on Adam Boulton's Sunday programme, and numerous mentions about Sky News Active... Something cocked up and reverted to Plan A. They are a rolling news station, don't expect a test card!

Sundays Adam Boulton wasn't 10pm Thursday night. Surely one of the Sky News at Ten Presenters could have said something? Perhaps even during the ad break a 5 second caption put in place? I realise it's a "rolling" news channel, with dedicated separate Irish segments (semi-contradicting it's rolling element). As the head of Sky Ireland said this week, it now provides choice....not tonight.

OK maybe I'm a bit harsh here, technical faults can be excused, but a little "apologies to our viewers in Ireland, but due to technical difficulties we're unable to join your news team this evening" wouldn't have gone amiss?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    I liked the idea of having Lisa live over Dublin. I long for the day someone will have a "window to the world" like NBC's today programme. Just imagaine Ireland AM on TV3 broadcasting from Dame Street, with people able to wave in the window!
    One of the British breakfast shows used to do that with their weather report - until they had a streaker live on breakfast TV one morning at least. :)
    Originally posted by Charles Slane
    Why do all the female newsreaders have to have Irish names these days ?
    (a) Gaeltacht conspiracy (b) tis sexseh and they want to compete with Riverdance

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Flicked over to Sky News last night at 10.10pm and they hadn't switched to the Dublin feed. Checked on interactive, and they were still replaying the 7pm bulletin. The English bulletin continued live.

D'Oh!

EDIT: merged with the other Sky News Ireland thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Go Figure!

According to Sky News Ireland, there was a major power failure at the Dublin Studio last night which prevented the show been broadcast as normal. They expect it to return at 7.00 tonight. It is very unfourtunate after a promising start to the week this project has turned into a nightmare for Sky. You can be sure the Evening Herald will pounce on this story following up on their article yesterday. I for one hope the bulletins survive this crisis because I believe that given time and a chance to grow that they can become a valuable and constructive edition to the Irish Broadcast News scene. They have only been on less then a week after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there had been some power problem in parts of the City Centre near Stephen's Green yesterday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You think that they would have back up power available either as a UPS or a generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Ah some fool on his bike probably crashed into the luas overtaking traffic. :) tekkit seamus!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

I noticed earlier active wasn't working during this evenings 19:00 bulletin.....suppose there has to be some gremlins during the first week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can anyone remember if Lisa Burke did the puff piece on Dromoland Castle by Helicopter? I did'nt think so but this report says she did -

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=45&si=1182470&issue_id=10879
    Lisa Burke, Sky's popular Irish weather girl, has returned home to help launch the new franchise, but her report from Dromoland Castle, where she breathlessly extolled the virtues of the building that will be playing host to George Bush on his forthcoming visit, was an item more suited to a lifestyle programme than a news channel

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope, that was Eibhlin Ni Chonghaile. Hmm, I suppose they have a vague resemblence.

Advertisement