Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Oireland's second fcuk up

Options
  • 10-05-2004 7:09pm

Well what do you think of it?
    I'm watching it as I speak and I'm impressed.
    I thought a new thread for the reviews and comments.
    Outside broadcasts and their integrating of the Sky news worldwide team into the Irish news presentation is good imho.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I forgot when is the late broadcast?

Mike.

9pm I think .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

It's actually 10PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Impressive show, but she said "and after the break we return to Sky News in Dublin" when she clearly meant London.

Other than that, flawless. icon14.gificon14.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well that answers that question that the papers were asking....

Trouser Suit but no skirt.......

How disapointing......:( :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

Yes I also thought it went very well. One small point however. I at first thought the link to the Sky reporter in Iraq was live, but I now think they used an earlier recording and pretended it was a live report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Go Figure!

Hugely Impressed, I'm delighted that they integrated the Graphics and Logo's with the main channel. Good reports and I too like the fact that we had some international reports as well. Did anybody notice that Adam Boulton came over here especially to launch the channel, so it looks like it will have good backing from the HQ in the UK. Hopefully as time goes on they will have the resources to break in to the main channel when major Irish News Stories are breaking and provide special coverage of Irish Elections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It wasn't live, as it didnt say "LIVE" under the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I liked the idea of having Lisa live over Dublin. I long for the day someone will have a "window to the world" like NBC's today programme. Just imagaine Ireland AM on TV3 broadcasting from Dame Street, with people able to wave in the window!

Anyhow I thought it was too seperate to the news channel, it could do being more intergrated with the main news service. No sooner was it over, but we where straight back in regular UK news, with no mention of the historic event which had just taken place. Perhaps with time we may see some sort of hand-over to the Irish studio, making it feel more seemless, and perhaps even more opt outs during the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I'm really impressed too. It's the first time I've seen the studio & it looks really well, the reports were good, the weather was good.

I can't fault it at all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I saw sky news had a big hudge screen at college green facing dame street showing the station

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed I saw that this evening, they were running a promo at the time!

One fault I would have is that their coverage of Irish news was a bit limited. RTE carried lots of stories on its Nine O'Clock News that weren't even mention on Sky News at 7. Hopefully this will change as time goes on.

The major test will be a major Irish breaking news event and how if any they cover it. Might not be too long to wait what with the elections coming up!

Well it was another 30 mins of news! I'm not going to say how professional it looked/felt as that would be condesending - there is no reason why it should'nt be.

I thought Grainne was looking a little lonely though - she won't have Adam Bolton in studio more often than every blue moon. Also she seems to have been on a face weight reduction programme (maybe it was the lighting).

It'll be interesting to se what % of story time is Irish and whats international i.e. from London.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by mike65
    I thought Grainne was looking a little lonely

I'll keep her company if she want's. I can see the news headline's tomorrow, "Sky News ancor shagg's internet freak with funny name!!!"

: me off to ring The Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i thought it looked pretty slick

with the exception of the interview with lisa holland in bagdad...that looked like a pre-rec to me.

i liked the way the got in the shot of the chopper!

i'm wondering what happens when grainne goes off on holiday or pulls a sickie...who fills in?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I thought it was impressive. Grainne was wearing a bit to much make-up but apart from that it was very good.

It will be interesting to see when they do sport news will they do GAA??

cause all they talked about leeds and liverpool, what about the eircom league and GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Did know else not notice the fact that

They only had two Irish Story's which were both "Exclusive" to sky news?

1. about government over spending which we knew
    2. about president bushes visit

The sports news had little to say about the matches over the week end, actually they said nothing about them.

Did anybody notice that Adam Boulton came over here especially to launch the channel, so it looks like it will have good backing from the HQ in the UK.

Yes Adam Boulton

How much money do you earn from Subscription fees, pay per view and fees charged to NTL and Chorus. Plus the 15,000,000 euro in Advertising revenue.

Thank you for spending 3,000,000 over the next year on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Personally I believe that Sky News Ireland will be as blatantly a Charlie McCreevy mouthpiece as it dares it can be. This would be in line with Murdoch's policy of supporting the status quo that supports him. By the way Colm MacCarthy who was on rubbishing Luas also did the same to DART twenty years ago. The more things change, the more they remain the same.

The main story about infrastructure cost overruns was tempered by an exclusive that the Government will impose a cap on future expenditure projects. So, this cap wont apply to the Port Tunnel or to Luas but the gist is that the Government will set the price of a project and that if a contractor runs under they will keep the difference but if runs over the contractor reimburses the government.

In other words, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Sounds familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Perhaps with time we may see some sort of hand-over to the Irish studio
    AFAIK, while Sky News Ireland is on over here, they are just watching the normal Sky News in the UK so that will never happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Dewey
    It will be interesting to see when they do sport news will they do GAA??

cause all they talked about leeds and liverpool, what about the eircom league and GAA.

They did mention some results from last nights Eircom league cup matches on the 10pm show IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

yep they did and they had some cross border soccer thing for children too

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Looks great, would like to see morning and lunchtime bulletins also at some point in the future.

As Grainne said in a link up to the main studio yesterday evening before airtime (5:45PM) Sky News is on in so many pubs and places where there is a television throughout the day, in Ireland. It would be good to know you could get regulatr news from Sky, but I suppose they are a bit limited with staff on the ground in Ireland yet.

One small niggle, the voiceover in the opening titles, and indeed all the presenters in UK have difficulty pronouncing "Seioge" and this sounds dreadful, perhaps an Irish voiceover on the titles.

Other than that, looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I missed this last night but did go into the Sky News Active to check it out later. Admittedly I only watched a couple of minutes of the sports section, but it was all about liverpool and Leeds. I turned it off then.

I for some reason expected Sky News Ireland to be different to Sky News UK..i.e. different stories. Not the same crap I had watched a few minutes earlier. Surely they can come up with enough Irish stories to fill a half hour programme every day (gaa, irish horse racing, irish rugby, eircom league just for sport section alone etc etc).

What is the point if they are just going to be repeating more "Uk/World" news again?

I will tune in again to it but if they are just going to be rehashing the same stuff with a couple of token Irish stories then I wont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

Eh, Ludo, by your own admission you did not watch the full bulletin.

The rest of the bulletin was comprised of either 'original Irish reporting' or 'genuinely international stories'. You obviously turned off before the story about cross-border soccer and the Eircom league squad announcement that followed the Leeds and Liverpool stories.

Besides, in fairness, RTE and TV3 would have been covering the Liverpool and Leeds stories fairly prominently - both clubs have huge Irish fan bases.

While I would share your concern about Sky News Ireland becoming a token UK service fronted by an Irish face, I am going to wait until they are guilty before decrying them.

Maybe have a look tonight and we can discuss tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I am not decrying them just yet Genghis...I'll give it a few days before that :-)

My point is that I expected a "totally" irish news bulletin from them.

RTE and TV3 have to provide a Irish and World news service as they only have a couple of news programmes a day on those channels so people need that. Sky News however have the same rolling news stories 24 hours a day so for some reason I expected the Irish section to be just that...Irish. I honestly dont see the point in an Irish service for half an hour if it won't consist entirely of Irish stories. I will just stay watching my news on RTE if they are just repeating the major world stories to fill out the half hour.

Originally posted by mickeyboymel

One small niggle, the voiceover in the opening titles, and indeed all the presenters in UK have difficulty pronouncing "Seioge" and this sounds dreadful, perhaps an Irish voiceover on the titles.

I quipped that he must have spent the afternoon going "Grainne Seiao-Seiga-Sioga ah ****!" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I quipped that he must have spent the afternoon going "Grainne Seiao-Seiga-Sioga ah ****!"

More like

GRRA GRRRA NNNEEEE SSEEE OOO GEEEE

GRAAA NEE A SHOW G A

Why cann't she just change her ****ing name to

Grace Joyce

edit: just thinking about the name Grace Joyce, its like a superheros name

Grace Joyce is Mna Na Heireanne:D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

just flicked over to sky to get some irish news now (22:00), low and behold i'm getting the uk version. Anyone else seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Only today, four days into it's new Service, did the Evening heard report about failing rating for Sky News Ireland. I tuned in at 10pm to watch it ..well either it's been canceled or there has been a major technical fault. It's not on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Only today, four days into it's new Service, did the Evening heard report about failing rating for Sky News Ireland. I tuned in at 10pm to watch it ..well either it's been canceled or there has been a major technical fault. It's not on!!
    Are you serious? Thats a weird one.

Advertisement