Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWN Persistent World

Options
  • 29-04-2004 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

I've decided to change the nwn server over to a persistent world while the games arent on.

So give me opinions.

Which world should we go with ? 2 votes

[FONT=courier new][b]Seviss R3[/b] ---------> [url]http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1051160677968.shtml[/url][/FONT]
    0% 0 votes
    [FONT=courier new][b]World Of Rhun[/b] -----> [url]http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1062889833165.shtml[/url][/FONT]
    100% 2 votes
    [FONT=courier new][b]Arcanium[/b] ----------> [url]http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1042991643717.shtml[/url][/FONT]
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The world of Rhun sounds great but is HotU only. Arcanium gives a good variety of choice and the fact that it's author allowed comments and seems to be constantly working on it to improve it tipped the balance in it's favour over Sevriss for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Arcanium actually requires both expansion packs!
    Think at this stage we're better going with either none or just hordes

Yeah, to use the NWN only version you have to forego any fixes he has made since v2.6.

I think it is about time we went for a HotU server. I've been keeping the modules to basic NWN as much as possible but it is getting much harder to find suitable ones. And anyway, HotU is well worth buying for the scenario alone :)

Ok, for now I've put world of Rhun up on the server.
    The server page on darkkeep shows that it requires both expansions but that may be just an error, since the nwnvault page says its HotU only.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Serviss R3 looked interesting with the vampirism and lycanthropy

• Advertisement

Tell u what I'll extend the poll until sunday, and then switch over to Serviss on saturday evening.
    that way ppl can see a bit of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Mouserat

I discovered something annoying about Ruhn last night.
    Sunday night I bloodymindedly spent the best part of an hour
    wandering around Etum taking notes in my journal on where the
    people who gave each mission were standing. This worked out great
    as after doing this I managed to complete 7 quests in around an hour
    and a half, rather than what used happen was you'd complete a quest,
    but then couldn't find where to get your reward.

Unfortunatley, when I connected last night, all the quest people had
    been moved, and this is a bit of a put off. If it only happens every time
    the server is rebooted than it's not so bad, but if they move around
    every 24 hours or so then it would mean surveying most of the city of
    Etum each time you want to go completing quests. :dunno:

I know they move after you complete their quests, but as far as I know
    there aren't that many high level people running around on Ruhn
    completeing the real tricky stuff? Or are there....??

Anyway, if anyone wants to get together on Ruhn during the week sometime, I've found a minotaur maze which should have a wizards tower at the end of it, and I think 3 quests in the place...sounds difficult, will need backup.

checked back into Ruhn last night for a few minutes...the people havn't moved, so I think it's something that happens when you shut down the server and restart.
    So anyone doing quests on the persistant world, note that all the locations for them get reset each monday.

Thats lolth not saving the game and relaoding the save point

tut tut tut

eeek!

Does the PW not reset whenever the server is empty? I logged out last week and logged back in straight away and all quests were back, all people I killed were alive again (after all my hard work.. the ingrates!).

• Advertisement

the people you kill for quests respawn fairly quickly (within a few minutes usually), and the people who you do the quests for just reappear somewhere else in the city after you claim your reward (also within a few mintues, maybe even instantly).

It can be a right bastard to find them again though. I re-surveyed Etum over last night and the night before and came across one or two new quests, but i'm still missing 4 or 5 of the old ones. And I killed a vampire in the castle cellars, has anyone ever come across anyone looking for a vampires heart?

Oh never mind me, just rambling. I've got a character there up to 10th level though, he's meaner than my monday nights character by a fair bit...got better kit too :ninja:

The vampire in the castle cellar is the initial clerics quest. You could try the guy in the temple but it may be clerics only

if any of you are going to go playing one of the nights this week let me know and we can team up. Im working late this week too, so sometime after 9:30 or 10 is best.

I'l probably see you there at some stage so (though by now I may just end up slowing you down as I haven't been in for a few days)

I doubt it. On your own you're still very vulnerable - went back to Prourks cave last night to get his sword, and the goblins killed me the first time round after he paralyzed me for a few minutes straight. They'd been beefed up with lots of extra warriors though, so by the time I found him I was still marginally up in XP.

MarVel - pity you got disconnected last night, I was looking forward to killing that thing. After you left I went off to the glacial hills and like I expected, found a shop with better equipment and spent around 30,000 there (i'm broke again now).

Next time we arrange a game I can teleport back to town, you can give me money for items you want, I can zap back to the shop, then back to the town, then we can both teleport back to that fight.

I can do this as I discovered another teleport in town that I can use, so I havnt wiped my recall point from my guild teleport. Very neat.

Also, realised we should also get some sort of true seeing spells for that fight...darkness you know.

Damn PC bluescreened twice on me. I really need to get more RAM / upgrade whole PC as I'm on the bare limit for NWN a lot of the time. As far as the true seeing goes it was me who cast darkness on him so I could run away :) Might see you in there tonight

I'll probably drop in myself in an hour or so

more bluescreens last night?

Yes and now the PC is lying scattered around the room. Hopefully it will be back together and working by tonight. Only seems to be NWN though. Must check drivers etc

• Advertisement

Mine has been hanging around once a day as well during NWN for the past few weeks. It may have digital herpes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

are we allowed to port chars in?

As a rule most servers will not allow people to import characters in, to much chance of hacked characters etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Djeryv

Hello All,

In response to some issues I read on the forum...

To Mouserat...

There are 40 quests in Etum for people to do (not counting the guild quests). When the server restarts, they randomly start in one of a number of locations. If you complete a quest for them, they randomly teleport to another location in Etum. I did this so people could not run back and forth all day long, doing the same quest. The Vampire Heart you speak of is for the Cleric's Quest only. These guild quests are a way for a character to get the special recall item for their guild. I made travel as painless as possible in Rhun so people can log in and (hopefully) have fun right away without running for a 1/2 hour to get somewhere.

To LoLth...

The people in the towns/cities of Rhun will respawn back (just as everything else). The townspeople respawn alot quicker than monsters because I didn't want a ghost town for other players. So this is by design.

- Djeryv

Thanks Djeryv and welcome to the forums :)

quick lads, pump him for spoilers and hidden stuff!!!

cheers Djeryv, I enjoyed playing Rhun, it's a good layout.

Nicely layered challenges too.

There are some nice hidden goodies I've stumbled across - an example is theres a nice shortcut to get from Etum to the Tuger swamp, and theres a secret grove where the little folk will trade a few fancy magic items with you....

Make sure to check the Mage Guild if you are strong enough...

Has anyone made it to the Island of Taer?

-Djeryv

couldn't find how to get there! Not for lack of looking.

I've one high level guy on the server who I think could make it to the abyss (he can take the Ice Blade hold easy enough), but he's scared to go without backup. Volunteers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Reading this thread has convinced me to re-install NWN + SOU + HOTU.

:)

• Advertisement

!!!WARNING!!!
    !!!SPOILER BELOW!!!

I might of have made it too hard to find. There are a couple of ways to get there. One is from the tower in Hagar Swamp. Bryban (the dragon on the south shore of Rhun) will also take you there. There is an obelisk on the island so if you find that, you can teleport out there in the future.

- Djeryv

Advertisement