Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill Bill Volume 2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

I'm baffled as to why people didn't like it. I thought it was fantastic, I thought the fight scene in Vol. 1 against all the crazy 88 was slightly OTT to be honest and much preferred Vol.2. As said by everyone Pai Mei was super. I think people are disappointed because it's a Taratino film with a relatively low level of extreme violence, same reason Jackie Brown was slated. Once again aswell it's another super soundtrack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

I think people are disappointed because it's a Taratino film with a relatively low level of extreme violence, same reason Jackie Brown was slated. Once again aswell it's another super soundtrack!

no not at all. i like Jackie Brown alot actually i think its great and one of the reasons its great is because of the characters are developed very well and the performances are excellent. kill bill vol 2 tries too hard to be some sort of character development film but it falls flat on its face

pai mei was a deadly character. there was glimpses of brilliance in vol2. but it just did not live up to the standard that vol.1 set at all

oh and the soundtrack while brilliant in most parts lapsed into some serious unessecary cheesiness in the latter part of the film

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Originally posted by briano
    Can anyone remember the name of the song that was playing when
    Kiddo was walking down the hallway to see bill after her kid had fallen asleep
    ? I remember being impressed by the version of the song, but I can't remember what it actually was. Its killing me.

Its called "About Her" by Malcolm McClaren, according to the soundtrack. I'd never heard it or of him before, but that song is fantastic, and very fitting ("Its too late to say you're sorry/ how would I know?/ Why should I care?") to the mood of the scene, sort of "From now on, its deadly serious." After that there's no more cheesy in jokes, which, while I enjoyed, that song and that scene made me wonder what the movie might have been if Tarantino had used a relatively straight-faced score. Compare it, and the Nancy Sinatra to the song after O-ren Ishii for impact...I loved the movies, thought they were near perfect, but still I wonder...
    The action fans who preferred one might have known what to expect of Vol 2 a little more, and people who wouldn't consider watching Vol 1 might have been a little more open to it. Then again, part of the reason he got away with the Crazy 88 fight is that its not entirely serious....I dunno, I really should form a set opinion before rambling on next time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

that there's no more cheesy in jokes, which, while I enjoyed, that song and that scene made me wonder what the movie might have been if Tarantino had used a relatively straight-faced score. Compare it, and the Nancy Sinatra to the song after O-ren Ishii for impact...I loved the movies, thought they were near perfect, but still I wonder...

i think they would have been worse with a straight faced score would have lost alot of its uniqueness. i thought that song "about her" stuck out like a sore thumb and was a horrible attempt at changing the film into something else. the music when shes trapped in the coffin, the clip from the ironside theme tune, the music when shes looking at the swords, when oren is walking into the club, all the music in the crazy 88 fight scene and when shes fighting oren, elle driver whistling bernard hermann as she walks to kill the bride, its this range of unique selection of music thats one of the key elements to volume 1 anyway and the majority of vol 2.

actually the music in all of tarantinos films have a big part to play and hes managed to stand out and be unique in all of them in terms of the music used

im always open to directors changing their directions and tarantino has done that well in the past with Jackie Brown. but the magic of vol.1 was only visible in bits and pieces in vol2. it just seemed to be missing whatever it was that made vol1. so great
    all those scenes i mentioned from vol.1 in regards to the music in the above paragraph i dont think there was anything in vol2. that matched any of those scenes and theres plenty of other stuff i could mention in vol1. aswell. anyway huge disappointment and i noticed a few bits in past trailers that werent in vol2. maybe he will bring out a directors cut with both films and extra bits and that will persuade me otherwise....i hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Saw it today. Thought it was absolutely fantastic. The two films counterpoint each other so well. I cant believe the amount of bad reviews it has got.

Love the fact that
    instead of a long drawn out battle, bills death (or atleast the fight) is so quick and clinical
    as I said I think it was the perfect counter point to all the battles with the DiVA's.

Would have rather seen a scene describing how Budd goes from international assassin to bouncer, rather than the scene at the titty bar. Loved the fact that
    he didnt really pawn his sword

The reviews I saw all slagged Micheal Madsen - I thought he owned that role.

Loved it when the Bride walks into the diner...

And the barefooted goo scene...I just know thats gonna get discussed with my mates who have seen the film....so gross. Echo's of Reservoir Dogs anyone?

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's a whole lot of Budd Luvin' going on....one question I have though. I read somewhere that Budd swaps boots with the Bride. Now, if you've seen it you know it could be important, but is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Is that when she is wriggling her feet out of the boots to get the switchblade in the grave?

I didn't think they were budds, but maybe I missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I watched this on friday with my g/f. We both thought that Zatoichi well and truly owned Kill Bill (combined).

I felt that most of Vol.2 was spent explaining the background to Vol.1 and what little bit there was to Vol.2 itself felt rather lacking.

It looked good, and was a usual Tarantino quality flick, but overall I was quite disappointed with it after the fantastic start (in the guise of Vol.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I felt Zatochi was spoiled by the special effects.

But to be honest, I never even thought of comparing the two of them togther. Especially not vol.1 and zatochi. I mean, they have very little in common aside from the fact that both protaganists are out for revenge and use swords.

Vol2 has more in common with it, but still not really that much imo.

Briano, yes, thats the scene. I was sure they were her boots, which would explain how she knew what was in them, other than her having watched Reservoir Dogs. But somebody reckoned that the boots we see under the trailer foor have the red flames up from the toe. It would certainly add a new dimension to Budd if he did it on purpose...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Im sure she had funky boots like that in parts of vol1. Bugger Im going to go back to UGC now and check....

Oh, I dunno, I think for any touching, dramatic climax, you can't beat the Savoy to f**ck it up.

"You're not a bad person. You're my favourite person. But sometimes...you can be a real-"WHO'S THIS HE IS NOW???!!?? AH WE'RE OUT OF F**KING WERTHERS!!! I TOLD YOU TO GET THE BIG BAG! DIDN'T I TELL YA?"

Advertisement