Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Dubs wear jerseys when out of Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just as a little bit of a question - I'm Irish but I bought an England football jersey there last week while over to watch a match. I wear it and some people find offence in it. What is your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

if you're irish why do you want to wear an england jersey? People must reckon you're doing it just to wind them up and I don't blame them. I've no problem with people wearing what they want but it does seem odd to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by kensutz
    What is your opinions?

Go for it man! It reminds me that there was some Irish guy on BigBrother last year who was getting great backing from the Irish press & public - great backing that is until one day in the house he started wearing replica England 1966 jersey! He did well but I got the marked impression that our press at least weren't AS enthusiastic to back him after his display.

But I say wear whatever the hell you like. People over here don't care a toss when you wear France or Germany or Brazil but when it comes to England it's thought a bit 'odd' which I find rather pathetic considering our collective obsession with their national game and national league.

Anyhoo, must dash now and order my Rangers jersey for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by Adeptus
    lol. You never know! But going to Spain they'd be more likely to wear an Ireland Jersey. :)

more likely to wear Celtic jerseys:rolleyes:

Why do Dubs wear jerseys when out of Dublin ?

as you said, they were on a stag!

you get it all the time in dublin. groups of people on stags and hen nights wearing the same t-shirts usually with their name on it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

My point was missed altogether, they were not doing it as a "fun" stag thing to do like have your name and face printed on their t-shirts this was unintentional,,,,and it was not just these guys but a lot of other people from all counties galway included...do the same thing i.e. go out for a night in their jerseys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Originally posted by daveirl
    I wear Ireland jerseys outside of Ireland, I wear Munster stuff outside of Munster. What's wierd about that.

no sense off fashion whatsoever, just showing off something nobody gives a fukc about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Slightly off topic, but at the Ireland v Brazil match a couple of months ago, there was a shower of D.4 goons at the back of the south terrace wearing Brazil jerseys. Now that pissed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

GAA jerseys should be taken from their owners at the airport, they are worse than english unibond league jerseys (carlow, wexford, the "international rules" jersey)

Nuttzz...agree whole heartedly...lol:) :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Originally posted by dsimpson
    Wearing their jerseys in another town in ireland has more meaning than wearing them at home.... Sure Dublin is full off spaniards and italians!!!

Yeah right, but they don't wear the spanish/italian jersey when they hang out in pubs/night clubs here in Ireland. And if they do they probably wear some other team's jersey (Brazil, Argentina, etc)......but only during day time.
    But if you travel to some summer holidays destination in europe you will see plenty of Irish/British wearing their national teams t-shirt 24/7 ...how stupid is that?? what do you need to demostrate??

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by DUX
    But if you travel to some summer holidays destination in europe you will see plenty of Irish/British wearing their national teams t-shirt 24/7 ...

Poor mites are homesick! :)

Just picture them in their apratments at night wearing ruby slippers clicking the heels saying "There's no place like home. There's no place like home"... "And Toto too!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

it goes for all counties really but only bothers me when they stick it in your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Probably because dublin owns, and we have to remind all of you boggers about i! :cool:

Just kidding. Maybe because there is a match on? I have NEVER seen a bunch of dublin lads in a pub somewhere outside dublin wearing a dublin jersy when there was not a match on. Although, some poeple I know, where there dublin gear nearly everyday... But they are major GAA players and have an excuse.

thought about that also but no, there was no match on this weekend!!

sure, i suppose each to their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    I noticed this before why when Dubs are out of Dublin do they always seem to wear their beloved jerseys when the go on the piss??
    Cork people are as bad. And they get to wear a big red thing with big Cs on the sleeves. I've a cousin who used to live in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Dunno about anyone else here but I usually bring an Irish Rugby Jersey with me when out foreign, like Galway and such, and find people much happier to talk to me etc. when they know I'm Irish.A friend of mine who travels a lot swears by it and thinks it helps in America among other places when people realise you're Irish and not English.This is other countries perceptions, and my mates experience as well as mine, nothing against the English but their perceived persona abroad seems to be much worse than ours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I wear my clare jersey alot. And I have brought it when I was living abroad. It was a great conversation starter with other Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

thought about that also but no, there was no match on this weekend!!

Actaully there was beauty of a game too we creamed offaly 4 - 21 to 2 -6 , but it was hurling so you probably never considered that.

lot of people wear their dublin Jersys in dublin too just depends where in the city you are, i.e. up my way in killester its very common to see people in the local pub wearing dublin Jersys.

c22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

dwayneburke

Im from Dublin, I have never been in a pub (in or out of Dublin)where everyone in one group of people were wearing the same jersey...unless it was for a particular sporting event. Such as A Dublin Hurling or football match. I find it hard to imagine any group for friends that would all say "wouldnt it be cool if we all wore our dublin kits tonight"

So I come to the conclusion that those group of Dublin jersery wearing people had a specfic reason for all being dressed the same.

I have never worn a dublin Jersey on a night out ..cause frankly who would ?
    But I do wear it casually, and I wear it regardless of where I am ( I live in Galway at the moment) But I think most sports supporters do that. People are proud of their team and they show it by displaying the latest replica kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

When I was over in New York I wore my Dublin jersey because it was hot... I was surprised to see lots of GAA jerseys there. The Dublin GAA jersey is actually quite nice looking, compared to most other counties. Come to think of it, I only notice GAA supporters from other counties wearing their jerseys when there is a match on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

although to be fair when dubs are in a group together they seem to have a superiority complex about themselves when outside the pale
    doesnt matter if its a girls hockey match or a boys soccer match
    but one thing is true there is nothing worse then a scumbag dublin accent

maybe us culchies can get a lynch mob together and do the world a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

yes,,,,but would you go out for a night on the piss with 8 other lads wearing the exact same jersey....???

If we were celebrating our teams victory then yeah - sure, why not?

My team is Munster btw. F*ck the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

god.jpg
    Didn't realise Arnold Schwarzenegger played from Belgium in the 1980's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Well if they hate culchies so much why do they choose to go drinking in amongst all the "culchies " in Galway???

Because the drink is cheaper and the culchie women love dubs!

Have you been in Galway lately....Drink is anything but cheap :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Have you been in Galway lately....Drink is anything but cheap :):)

Haven't been there in a few years but it couldn't be as bad as some kips in Dublin charging €6 and more!

True,,,not quite as bad....but getting there...LIDL and ALDI for take out are really looking tempting now esp with the no smoking ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Why do people from Manchester/liverpool wear their jerseys outside manchester.... actually, why do people that aren't even from manchester wear the shirts.... OMFG!?!?!?!?

John

Advertisement