Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Dubs wear jerseys when out of Dublin

Options
  • 17-04-2004 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was out in Galway last night for a few pints and was in a pub when i looked around me and noticed a group of guys who were obviously from Dublin!!

Why, there was about 12/13 lads and 9 of them were wearing Dublin football GAA shirts....

I noticed this before why when Dubs are out of Dublin do they always seem to wear their beloved jerseys when the go on the piss??

BTW i do not wish to cause offence to dubs whatsoever and i am not generalising all dubs its just an observation...and yes i know galway ppl do it also but dubs seem to really take it to a whole new level...They looked like the dublin team were on the piss (and no they were not a team they were on a stag----i asked)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

so they wont be mistaken for "culchies" i imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Well if they hate culchies so much why do they choose to go drinking in amongst all the "culchies " in Galway???

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Maybe you should clarify and say "Dublin GAA fans out of Dublin"? :) I've never worn, and never will wear a Dublin GAA jersey anywhere. I'm sure there were plenty of Dubliners lurking in the shadows dressed normally like everyone else, infiltrating the pub. ;) Perhaps the guys in the Jerseys were decoys? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

So they don't puke on our hallowed streets.

The thing im getting at are these guys actual GAA fans or are they wearing the jerseys to purposely distinguish themselves from everyone else

(i.e. did they buy the jerseys on their way out of dublin and when they get back throw it in the corer and only wear it when they go away on holidays to Spain etc??)

:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Maybe they are proud of their county. Why do you ask,have you a problem with it?

not at all , just an observation!!

Originally posted by dwayneburke
    The thing im getting at are these guys actual GAA fans or are they wearing the jerseys to purposely distinguish themselves from everyone else

(i.e. did they buy the jerseys on their way out of dublin and when they get back throw it in the corer and only wear it when they go away on holidays to Spain etc??)

:):)

lol. You never know! But going to Spain they'd be more likely to wear an Ireland Jersey. :)

Interesting observations though. Tribalism in the City of the Tribes! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's so we can rally our numbers quickly when 'dueling banjos' starts playing on the dukebox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When i go away with Pats i always wear my jersey how else would the Cork/Galway/Kilkenny/Waterford scum bags know to throw a bottle at me?

I thought it helped them out by giving them easier to see targets.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pigman II
    It's so we can rally our numbers quickly when 'dueling banjos' starts playing on the dukebox.

Not surpised you edited that post.. :p

How soon do you have to edit a post before the "Last Edited" notification appears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1 or 2 minutes before Edited shows up.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Originally posted by Adeptus

How soon do you have to edit a post before the "Last Edited" notification appears?

Oh you gotta be quick! Jason Biggs in American Pie quick. :)

lol That's quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was at Witnness two years ago, and headed into Ratoath to see the Kildare/Dublin Leinster final in one of the pubs. When I walked in Kildare were winning (I'm from Kildare, by the way) so I was quite happy. Then Dublin score a goal and all of a sudden the pub is full of Dublin jerseys. :rolleyes: If they follow their county, fair enough, but this fair weather stuff really grates with me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Because they have no sense of fashion and from my experiance most people wearing them...smell bad.

And are from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Originally posted by damnyanks
    And are from Dublin

I think that was implied by the previous comment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

yes,,,,but would you go out for a night on the piss with 8 other lads wearing the exact same jersey....???

All im saying it looked a bit stupid two-thirds of the group wearing jerseys in a fairly upmarket pub!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What pub was it?

sallys!!!!!

only messing.....living room:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dsimpson

Wearing their jerseys in another town in ireland has more meaning than wearing them at home.... Sure Dublin is full off spaniards and italians!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dsimpson

Wearing their jerseys in another town in ireland has more meaning than wearing them at home.... Sure Dublin is full off spaniards and italians!!!

A real viewpoint from real people......

www.nitalk.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Whenever I left Dublin I used to go around naked. Then I realised I have no pockets for my money or ID. Every now and then I would paint a blue streak across my bum cheeks of steel. This one time I forgot the blue paint and could only find Green and Black... I thought back to art class and was sure they would make blue. They didnt.... now I'm on a sex offender list for trying to show my dublinism!

Culchies have terrible double standards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

So they can remember their way home after a long night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by PrecariousNuts
    So they can remember their way home after a long night out.

Your attempt at humour is really clutching at straws there - I don't see how that would work unless it had a detailed map on the back. And they would probably need to find their way back to their B&B/Hostel in Galway - not Dublin, so to "remember their way home after a long night out" in Galway would mean adapting the map.

It's pretty sad going out wearing a football jersey anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I'd guess there's a strong mathematical correlation between those who'd wear said jerseys and ownership of the following items;

1. Moustaches
    2. Forearm tatoos
    3. Taxi plates
    4. Subscription to the evenin hedild

- as a Dub myself tho what gets up my nose is the Kildare stuff. A couple of years ago Dublin played Kildare(and beat them)- in the weeks coming up to the match there Mullahs driving into town with bunches of lilywhite roses in the back window and every piece of Kildare paraphenilia obtainable on view, just to antagonise. Yet the rest of the year the same people are all wannabe Dubs, only too glad to get caught up in the urban sprawl and lose their culchie tag(referring to Leixlip, Maynooth etc. specifically here). They need to face up to the fact that they have been assimilated IMO:)

Advertisement