Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Case Mod's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Of course dell released black inspirions in the recent past :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

should do a custom spray icon on the lid would make it Urber:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

dubdvd wrote:
    here we go again

43e1vr8.jpg

You gonna sell that cube anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

:D just thought i'd put up my last two builds to keep this thread alive
    DSCI0109.JPG

DSCI0137.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cool :D like the case ! also the 1/2" tubing is way better.

what pump is that the d5 or swiftech version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

D5 vario, picked it up in the states for $48, keeps it all flowing however it has a temp limit of 60 degrees in the water and then it doesn't work too well, but with the fans full blast i get my cpu at 22 degrees and my 8800 at 37 degrees. I'm feeling anti's problem with the pink water cause i have that too. I@m thinking of buying some danger den red primo flex and changing the setup to res>pump>double rad>cpu>singlerad>>graphics>res and also changing the res to one of the EK multioption res's cause the bay reservoir is annoying for refilling. If i do i'll repost the picks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

requiem1 wrote: »
    :D just thought i'd put up my last two builds to keep this thread alive
    DSCI0109.JPG

DSCI0137.JPG

Nice Build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Fuddmillbyrne

Hey All

Not sure if anyone is still alive on this thread but gonna post this up anyway, ghost town or not!!!

Just recently started modding PC Cases after a few years, and many electric shocks, modding Xbox's/360's for fun. Looking for tips on what not to do when cutting etc.

I've added a recent 360 case mod (No Mocking, it was for a girl!) The case was custom painted too. I've thrown up a few shots of the PC I'm finishing at the moment. This was on a Dell inspiron with a custom paint job that filled in the dell imprint in the steel (you can still see it on the back)

All criticisms welcome (except for the fact that horses were used in the making of this post)

Lookin forward to hearing something back

Fudd

2a9xw86.jpg
    x247ko.jpg
    fcev6.jpg

wow that looks awesome! , I painted my Dell matt black with Hammerite :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Got bored with the look of my Dell Dimension 9200 and decided to give it a face lift yesterday, I got most of it done and hopefully I'll get to finish it off next weekend.

All I've left to do is to spray the remaining primed side panel, put an air vent on top (I fabbed it using a piece from a car bumper and fibre glass), and then spray it. Will post more pics when it's all done, but here's it so far :D

Before:

dd92001.jpg

After: (filled in the Dell logos)

bpc1.jpg

pc1f.jpg

pc2x.jpg

pc5.jpg

• Advertisement

I like it , reminds me of when i painted my dell 5150 Black :D cant wait to see the top grill

papu wrote: »
    I like it , reminds me of when i painted my dell 5150 Black :D cant wait to see the top grill
    Here's the vent / grill I made, just have to fab and mould it to the top, put in the fan and lights :)

pcv1.jpg

pcv2.jpg

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Got bored with the look of my Dell Dimension 9200 and decided to give it a face lift yesterday, I got most of it done and hopefully I'll get to finish it off next weekend.

All I've left to do is to spray the remaining primed side panel, put an air vent on top (I fabbed it using a piece from a car bumper and fibre glass), and then spray it. Will post more pics when it's all done, but here's it so far :D

That's an excellent finish on the paint. Care to detail what you did?

That's an excellent finish on the paint. Care to detail what you did?

First off I filled in the Dell logos on the side panels with car repair body filler and sanded that down flush with the panels when dry, then sprayed the case with primer.

Paints I used are car paints; the blue on the sides is a custom paint my brother had got made up for one of his cars, I added a metal flake to it and then finished off with a coat of lacquer.
    The red/wine colour on the front is Ford Mondeo red, decided not to apply a lacquer to it as without it, it gives a flat / metal type apperance and I think it suits it :cool:

The vent / grill for the top was made from a cutout section from the middle lower part of a Ford RS back bumper. The back end of the vent was bent down to shape by heating it with a blow tourch and bending into place.
    I then made sides for it using fibre glass, they will be fibre glassed onto it (lights and fan put in place) and then the whole vent will be mouled onto the top using more fibre glass, sanded down into shape, made flush to the case and then sprayed.

Hopefully I will get it all done this weekend and will post up pics of it then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Some very impressive case mods here- I did my first "mod" today, though it is not strictly speaking a case mod.

Problem:

I have an OCZ GameXstream PSU, which was initially very quiet upon purchase two years ago. Fast forward to this week when I get a new case (Antec P183), GPU (Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X) and CPU cooler (Nexus Xir-3500), which are all known for being very quiet. I kid you not when I say my PSU sounded like an airplane in comparison to the rest of my system.

Solution:

Took apart my PSU, cut the wires to the 120mm fan and spliced them with the wires for a new, much quieter fan. The new fan uses less current at full load (0.24 vs 0.45) is 12V aswell and is also rated at 80 CFM, but seems quite content to push significantly less air through my PSU (you can really feel the difference). However, all the voltages (3.3V, 5V etc) are all fine under load and it is waaaaaaaaaay quieter so I'm happy.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning for any boardsies who like quiet PC's- much cheaper than buying a new PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pokes

Chieftec CH-03 casemod.. I wanted a new case but money is tight.My system was running a bit too hot so i added a 120mm exhaust fan in the top and two 90mm fans as front intakes. I still have a bit of work to do on it , I want to put in a side window and fit fan filters on the intakes. Going to replace all fans with blue LED ones too.

Before

1.jpg

P1140603.jpg

Re-Worked Front (Looks like it needs some more work :D )

P1140604.jpg

System is

Amd Phenom II 720be x3 @ 3.4ghz
    MSI C770-C45
    4gb OCZ Platinum 1600mhz DDR3
    Radeon 4850
    Spire CPU cooler
    2x 1tb Samsung F1's
    550w Enermax PSU

Finally got my Dell case finished (didn't put the vent on as I couldn't get a fan in due to the side panel release system) , went from this:

dd92001.jpg

to this:

delllt1.jpg

delllt3.jpg

delllt2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

Bump bump any modders out there!!!

Odd you should ask that today. I haven't done anything in years, and today I'm covered in saw dust.

I'm making a clock/photo frame/news ticker/weather widget.
    It'll be another few days.
    8291.jpg
    Old 14" laptop, Dell 630m, that doesnt charge anymore is becoming this.
    FrameClock01.JPG
    FrameClock02.JPG
    FrameClock03.jpg

Tomorrow I need to finish the wood, and should hopefully be receiving an 8GB cf card and an IDE-CF adapter. Hopefully it'll be silent.
    I'll be doing a write up on it when it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

that is quite a big clock lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Odd you should ask that today. I haven't done anything in years, and today I'm covered in saw dust.

I'm making a clock/photo frame/news ticker/weather widget.
    It'll be another few days.
    8291.jpg
    Old 14" laptop, Dell 630m, that doesnt charge anymore is becoming this.
    FrameClock01.JPG
    FrameClock02.JPG
    FrameClock03.jpg

Tomorrow I need to finish the wood, and should hopefully be receiving an 8GB cf card and an IDE-CF adapter. Hopefully it'll be silent.
    I'll be doing a write up on it when it's finished.

any update on your project... it looks fecking cool! are you wall mounting in a particular room? / was it just an old lappy you had lying around?

Access wrote: »
    any update on your project... it looks fecking cool! are you wall mounting in a particular room? / was it just an old lappy you had lying around?

Only a small update I'm afraid.
    I ended up getting a new job and moving, so didn't have much time, but I'll hopefully be sorting out the last few bits in the next few weeks.

It was an old laptop, few bits needed replacing and I bought a new one that's a bit lighter for travelling/dual core etc.

FrameClock04.JPG
    Was just a quick demo of it. Unfortunately it was a regular mechanical hard drive.
    The CF card I orderee, or else 1 of the 3 CF to IDE adapters i got have a problem. The system can't boot from it. As far as I am aware, you need some special utility from the manufacturer to turn the CF card from Removable to fixed type. As far as I can figure out, the laptop BIOS won't boot from something that calls itself removable. If I can't change the type I'm going to think about making a PXE boot image.
    It'll be a few weeks weeks before I get time to do this.
    The plan is to have a clock running, but maybe also a photo slide show and a bluetooth/wifi interface from a phone to chnage radio stations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm buying several litres of cooking oil tomorrow..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

I'm buying several litres of cooking oil tomorrow..... ;)

Fishtank pc? I hope you got unscented/distilled oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Without meaning to necrobump...

Why buy a case when you can doll up a shítbox! :D

IMG_00000022.jpg

IMG_00000024.jpg

IMG_00000026.jpg

IMG_00000029.jpg

Obliga-show off of my AMD Hackintosh :p

IMG_00000038.jpg

that reminds me , Hl2.jpg , Counts as a case mod right? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

wow is this thread dead ?

Hi all,

I need help adding another fan to my sapphire 4890, normal temp usually range from 60 - 70, while in use an 50 - 60 while idle.

so I removed the heat sink and cleaned an added a fresh thermal paste, I also added an 80mm fan just to the side to see how it will get on. so the temperature now is under 50c.

The problem is that the PC itself is lying flat so the fan is basically on top beside the gpu, i need a way to stick it on it permanently, any ideas ?

A picture would help , I'd suggest some hot glue , sticks plastics quite well and comes off easily enough when wanted , other than that zip tie it or use double sided tape.

I just did a job on Nibbles old v2000 , made some plexi brackets for the Psu , fixed in a plexi window and covered 2 top fan openings with plexi , Sleeved and did a big cable tidy up ,. I'll try get pics up tomorrow!

Hi all,

I need help adding another fan to my sapphire 4890, normal temp usually range from 60 - 70, while in use an 50 - 60 while idle.

so I removed the heat sink and cleaned an added a fresh thermal paste, I also added an 80mm fan just to the side to see how it will get on. so the temperature now is under 50c.

The problem is that the PC itself is lying flat so the fan is basically on top beside the gpu, i need a way to stick it on it permanently, any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Hi all,

change the case, atleast they are cheap...
    and get one of my cards, atleast they will run better and colder that your

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

papu wrote: »
    A picture would help , I'd suggest some hot glue , sticks plastics quite well and comes off easily enough when wanted , other than that zip tie it or use double sided tape.

I just did a job on Nibbles old v2000 , made some plexi brackets for the Psu , fixed in a plexi window and covered 2 top fan openings with plexi , Sleeved and did a big cable tidy up ,. I'll try get pics up tomorrow!

thanks for the reply, I'll try to add some pics later, as I don't have access to a heat gun and a I'm low on funds I'll use a zip wire instead.

At erper i just bought a new case so that's a no no and your gpu is out of my price range.

Advertisement