Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First cinema film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Mine was E.T. on holidays in Waterford. I had a Wispa. Mmm chocolate.

What year was it in the cinema in Ireland? 84/85?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ET late summer 82

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

the jungle book - 80's release

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ghostbusters, when i was 4...
    i remember beng 4th in the Q with my dad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

To stick with the trend, 'The Black Cauldron' was one of the first movies I saw in the cinema, if not the first.
    Also remember seeing 'Return to Oz' in the Savoy when it came out. 'Carebears' and 'An American Tale' are other early cinema memories.
    The day we were going to go see 'Basil the Great Mouse Detective' in the Ambassador, the car had a flat tyre so we couldn't go :mad:
    I've seen most of the ones that have been mentioned -- BMX Bandits, saw that one on video after it was in the cinemas :D

I have an awful memory of seeing 'Empire of the Sun' with my entire family, think it was 1988, talk about depressing for a kid!
    I wanted to see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit', but 'Moonwalker' was out @ the same time, and my older brother insisted on going so the rest of the family caved. Suffice to say I enjoyed the fact it was so crap. Went to see Roger Rabbit very soon after that. ;)

'The Mario Bros. Movie' in the Carlton on O'Connell St is another fairly memorable cinema trip hehe.
    'Mac and Me', anyone remember that 'E.T' clone with the kid in the wheelchair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

****Cough ****- The ****Sound ******of******* Music -**** Cough.******

Many moons ago. My mother decided to bring us out for a treat to a cinema in Castlebar. At least the sweets were nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

my first film in the pictures was Annie.. tomorrow tomorrow, i love you tomorrow :D

it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monkeymagic

I think BMX Bandits might have been the first movie I saw on video... so long ago, adn the fact that we had a video in the house was far more exciting than the actual film lol

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my first film experience was star wars.

ever since i saw that little rebel cruiser fly pass, and then the bohemoth star destroyer rumble by for about 45 seconds, i still love the film.

although it has to be said, the close up of darth vader when he kills one of the rebel officers on the ship made me cry :(

i think star trek was the next film, but that sucked cóck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Originally posted by LoneGunM@n
    The earliest I can remember was The Aristocats at the Classic in Harold's Cross ... would have been the very early 80's

That's the earliest movie I remember going to as well. I saw it on or not long after its first release around 1970/71.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

The first film I was taken to was soe cowboy my mother and father wanted to see. Absolutely no memory of that. I was about 6 moths old...

My mom was big into the whole Star Wars craze right away though (She used to wear this little badge that said "May the force be with you" clipped to her leather hippie-handbag) her friends had told her about it before it came out in South Africa so I was dragged along to that... Freaked her out a bit by remembering what was going on and knowing what was coming a couple of years later when we watched it again in the lead up to "Empire..."

That big ol' Star Destroyer (Devastator for the geeks among you) whooshing out from over me is one of my earliest memories. That and Darth Vader are two of the only things I remember from the movie the first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It was either The Jungle Book or The Black Cauldron in the early eighties in a cinema in Wexford. Which was out first? It just shows how many of us are around the same age!

On Star Wars, I'd never thought I'd seen it until I went to the digitally remastered versions in the late nineties and recognised the final attack on the Death Star which I remember sitting on the carpet watching it with my Dad one Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

First one that I can remember was Bambi in The Ambassador and yes, I cried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SocialReject71

"The Black Cauldron" in The Ambassador too... can only remember bits of it... think I might have fallen asleep during it

For those of you who don't remember this classic - Film Poster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

the little mermaid - don't ask me why my parents brought me and my bro's to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

look whos talking too.........its the earliest one i can remember in the cinema.

but the earliest movie experience i ever had was Dark Crystal....must've been on video. loved that movie soo much. me and my sister still say "gelfling" repeatedly in stupid voices when we get drunk and nobody ever seems to know what its about!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The Jungle Book.

It has to be said though, when I saw Shrek in the cinema for the first time, I was almost crying with laughter..... I think I was 19 at the time....

Shrek would be the first kids movie that I went to see as an adult. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

ET with my dad in the Classic in Harold's Cross. I was inconsolable!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Mine was santa Clause the movie also

http://imdb.com/title/tt0089961/

man I hated Birr cinema as a kid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

but the earliest movie experience i ever had was Dark Crystal....must've been on video. loved that movie soo much. me and my sister still say "gelfling" repeatedly in stupid voices when we get drunk and nobody ever seems to know what its about!

Man Jim Henson created some freaky looking monsters for that movie! Those Crow things still freak me out *shudder*

'Gelfling'....I can hear the Crow Thing shrieking it now, noooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

It was probably An American Tale, I remember seeing that a good few times back in 86, in the old ambassador cinema (which is a live music venue now).

Another Don Bluth favourite was The Secret of NIMH. Super intelligent rats 'discover' electricity and set up shop in a farmers rosebush. Looking back on it, that film was pretty twisted :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

First film I saw in the cinema was "Into The West".

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES
    (i think it was 1973)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Originally posted by K2
    SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES
    (i think it was 1973)

it wasn't 73... think it was either 76 or 77 ... as thats my first cinema memory..
    old ambassador cinema , i screamed my head off when the evil queen showed up and my Uncle had to bring me home ( i must of made some racket) ....

I also really remember Star Wars and Empire ...
    went to a B-day party and we where told we where going to see Empire .. was some cartoon thing instead .. so 4 of us sneaked out and into Empire . Got in trouble there too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

"Return from Witch Mountain" in either 78 or 79 in an old cinema in Gorey. Don't know if the cinema still exists but I doubt it as I recall it was falling apart back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My first was Home Alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lyonsy

turtles the movie, i think it was the one with vanilla ice; go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go! go ninja go ninja go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,833 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First film i remember seeing in the cinema was the original Batman.

Though a mate of mine i first met when i started college - the first film he ever saw in the cinema was "Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King"

He's 19 (!!!) years of age!

:D

Advertisement