Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

Im feeling really stupid now, last night with a few drinks a girl i met and paid into hotel and everything with her, she refused sex with condom cuase she said she gets a reaction from the material and im annoyed now becuase i have no symptoms of anything but may have given myself anything.

Is there like a statistic? like 1 in ever 10 or something? i will have to visit sti clinic me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mrDuke wrote: »
    Im feeling really stupid now, last night with a few drinks a girl i met and paid into hotel and everything with her, she refused sex with condom cuase she said she gets a reaction from the material and im annoyed now becuase i have no symptoms of anything but may have given myself anything.

Is there like a statistic? like 1 in ever 10 or something? i will have to visit sti clinic me thinks.

There'd be different statistics for every infection. Most are curable though. You'll have to wait at least three months for HIV but I think you can get checked for almost everything else straight away.

Clinics on the first page of this thread, your GP will most likely be able to test too. Ring just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Would chlamydia show up in a urine sample? Have a small sharp pain in my right testicle when I pee. Went to doc, took urine sample. Asked all the usual questions, have I had unprotected sex, I said only with my girlfriend of 7 years. He gave me Augmenton. It went after 6 days (about 1 week ago). It came back last night. He said if it comes back to go back to him and he'll organise an STD test. I'm nervous its chlamydia, my girlfriend has showed no symptons. All I have is the small sharp pain when peeing and sometimes during the day but not often. The doc diagnosed it originally as dysuria. Can chlamydia be caught with long time partners? I don't really want to go to James for a test, can any GP do an STD test?
    One of the symptoms of Chlamydia is a pain in the testicle yes, but dont automatically think it is chlamydia.

Are you an office worker, sometimes if i sit awkward i get this re-occuring pain as well.

Put your mind at ease and get a chlamydia test, it a simple test and you'll find out within a few days.

do you have any other signs like discharge?

And i hate to say it but yes, you can get chlamydia in a long term relationship but the bad news is one of you has been unfaithful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

Mightnot wrote: »
    One of the symptoms of Chlamydia is a pain in the testicle yes, but dont automatically think it is chlamydia.

Are you an office worker, sometimes if i sit awkward i get this re-occuring pain as well.

And i hate to say it but yes, you can get chlamydia in a long term relationship but the bad news is one of you has been unfaithful

7 years is a bit suspect, but chlamydia can have no symptoms in many people for many years, thats why it is such a problem and dangerous.

Chlamydia itself poses little fertility problems, but is a root cause of pelvic inflamatory disease or pid which is a severe cause of fertility problems and ectopic pregnancies. having chlamydia does not mean you have pid, but the longer you have chlamydia the more at risk you are of developing PID, im not sure if men can get pid, or is reserved for the fairer sex, but if you have chylamdia so does your partner and it is something she should look into. Get yourself tested and put your mind and your gf's mind at ease,

I just recently went through the whole testing process in St. James's, there was a post a few pages back that outlined someone's experiences of this which I found really helpful in letting me know what to expect so I thought I'd share mine. I'd never been tested before, but decided to go due to some recent drunken stupidity where condoms weren't used.

I went for the 1pm-5pm session on a tuesday, I would echo the previous poster and say that you need to get there early. I didn't want to have to come back so got there super early (10.30) and was 6th in line (25 are seen). By 11.30 there was only about 3 seats left and by 12 all seats were gone. At first I felt a little bit uncomfortable being there, but I relaxed as time went on and when I realized everyone was in the same boat. There were all sorts there, from couples to friends going in together, even a couple of prisoners chained to guards!

At 1pm someone came out and handed the lucky 25 a ticket. You then get called individually to go through and register, and then....more waiting. It seems that as well as the walk-in people, there are loads of people with appointments who get seen first. I think I got seen around 3pm. We got seen in order of registration so getting there 2.5 hours early proved to be some benefit to me.

I was seen by a female doctor (I'm male btw) who went through a bit of my sexual history (only the last 3 partners). Whether they were Irish or not seemed to be significant as she asked that in each case. She then did the infamous swab. For all the lads who let this put them off being tested, there's nothing to it. It was blink-and-you'd-miss it, I hardly felt a thing. She then did a quick test of the sample which showed negative for chlamydia, this was then sent to the lab for further testing. I next had to provide a urine sample and go for a blood sample with a nurse. The swab results came back in about 20mins (all negative) and then I was free to go at about 4pm or so.

The standard line is that they call you within 2 weeks if you have anything. I wasn't really happy with this in case they had a wrong number or the tests took ages to come back etc. etc. So I rang in about 3 weeks after I was tested and spoke to a health adviser who asked for my patient number, intials and birthdate. She then went through my test results. Thankfully they all came back negative which was a relief to me.

So, in conclusion, quite a painless process, just very time consuming. You really need a whole day to get tested, the actual consultation is 10-15 mins the rest is just waiting around. From now on I'm going to get tested at least once a year, twice if I can, and be more careful in future!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

After what period of time does a postive STI result take after a check up? If you got the test done 2 months after your last partner is it safe to assume the no STI result is accurate or could nasty stuff appear later on when u least expect it?:confused:

I think people also need to remember that condoms aren't 100% I got chlamydia when a condom broke and I also got genital warts, I'm absolutely disgusted because I've always been so careful and I've only ever slept with long term boyfriends, the chlamydia I can forget about because thats cureable but the warts are always going to be contagious which means I have to risk men running a mile from me and it's not exactly an easy subject to broach with a new boyfriend!! I will never sleep with anyone again until they've been tested.

Can anyone recommend a GP in the city centre or southside for STD tests? I really don't fancy going to James'. There's been something weird going on with my vagina for ages - don;t think its an STD as I've been tested multiple times and have very little sexual activity anyway (one person, protected), doctor concluded it must be recurrent bacterial vaginosis, but it'd be nice just to be sure. I got a chlamydia test at my GP but Im sure they wouldnt be up for doing all the tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ok trush can be sexual transmitted but it can happen with out that.

http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-040.jsp
    What is thrush?

Thrush is a vaginal yeast infection that affects approximately 75 percent of women at some time in their lives. Many women suffer recurring attacks. Although easily treated, thrush can be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for a woman, affecting her sex life and her confidence.

Yeast (candida) is a fungus that occurs naturally in the vagina, mouth, digestive system and other parts of the body. Symptoms only appear with over growth. Yeast growth is normally kept under control by the friendly bacteria in your body. However, if the balance of bacteria is upset and the yeast cells are allowed to overproduce, a yeast infection (candidiasis) can occur.

Infections are most common in premature babies, in adults who are debilitated by general ill health and in those with a suppressed immune system - either by the nature of their disease e.g. HIV, or by treatment such as chemotherapy.

Look they are not sympthomes of hiv but of a person who as been sexually active as condoms don't prevent the spread of thrush, moluscum contagiosum, herpies or genital warts.

IF the dr gave you the all clear and don't be freaking out jsut wait and get the second test in 3 months time.

• Advertisement

HIV has an incubation period of 3 months you need another test 3months after the first one to be 100% all clear
    or you can ask your bf to get tested.

A virgin can have an abnormal smear, a virgin can have thrush, hell a virgin can have both at once only the moluscum contagiosum is solely transmisted from one person to another.

What is happening with your abnormal smear ?

if this is freaking you out that much go back to your dr and talk to him/her.

Dont trust the internet talk to your dr and believe him or get a second opinion from another dr.

http://www.dublinaidsalliance.com/helpline.htm

HELPLINE

Drugs/ HIV Helpline
    1800 459 459
    10am – 5pm
    open 7 days a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

i could really do with some advice! i have alot of what looks like pimples on the testicle region. i've had them for a while, it hasnt caused me any problems. i have only had sex once and it was protected.

Go to your dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

i will but i wanted to know if anyone else had this problem or knows what it might be?

It could be nothing it could be 1 of 300 things, go ask your dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

anyone have experience of the cork clinic? think i need a check-up but would like to know more...

danh789 wrote: »
    i will but i wanted to know if anyone else had this problem or knows what it might be?

You won't get peace of mind until you see a doctor. Could be something that could spread unless you get a doctor to clear whatever it is. What's the point in an opinion from strangers on the net who can't help a physical illness?

Needless to say see a doctor asap. Who cares about embarrassment etc, just get it over with

hi, bit worried after giving oral to a guy didnt know him and wondering what are the main things that can be caught from this.. suppose it depends on the guy..

• Advertisement

you can get many things from unprotected oral sex- Gonnohrea, HIV etc. You should go get tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JD444

Rite here is my sorry tale!!.Got tested in James in October after having sores on my genital area - 23 days after my my possible contraction .Results came back and all was negative.However since then I have had outbreaks along with the symptons of Genital Herpes such as headaches, tingling sensation and pain passing urine.They took a swab in October and nothing showed.I read somewhere that the swab testing is less efficient after further outbreaks.I rang James today and they said I would have to get re-checked and show up at 11 on a tuesday or a Thursday and go through the whole process again even though i havent being sexually active since(and wont be for a while:().Do James provide a blood test for Genital Herpes and if so does the blood test even distinguish between HPV1 and HPV2???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

shin-shin wrote: »
    But everytime I look up HIV on the Internet these things keep popping up. Am I worrying over nothing?

dont worry - hiv is related to numerous illnesses, especially the symptoms,and thats a fact, if your test is negative then thats a good sign, if its less than 3 months, then your not out of the woods yet and will need a retest but you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

This is more of a just a general question rather than one specific to me.

I've read in places that it is proper to get tested for STI's once every six months or so, i've seen others say once a year and once every three months. I've made a decision to be once every six months as anymore and it would start becoming troublesome to do once every 3 months.
    However I also have seen that HIV is not checked for in the normal STI tests (in the guide clinic I reada bout).
    I figured once every 6 months for this too?

Do these guide lines sound fair/correct enough in your opinions?
    I want to obviously be safe and to not do any others harm.

I'm trying to set up my first appointment in the Jame's GUIDE clinic but their phones have been ringing out for the last 3 working days.... I tried the drop in approach twice before but was not allocated a ticket. Second time, I had waited nearly 3 hours but missed by 2 people. I cannot keep affording to take time off work like that, multiple times every 6 months. They need much bigger facilities like the rest of the health care system. Website says Fridays by appointment only so i am hoping i can set up a test for one of those slots??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

The magazines are full of grown ass people asking if they stand while having sex "it doesnt work" or "we french kissed, am i pregnant" No wonder we have so many unwanted pregnancies and std's here. Also i know a girl who was cheated on by her boyfriend of 2 yrs and got an std so there are exceptions to the rule. Not everyone sleeps around to get one.

hey,

why dont you (if you have the money of course) go private, you get the results in a week and the doc does everything. they guy i used before is

Genitourinary Consultants
    Derek Freedman MD FRCPI 88 Ranelagh Vlge 6 Co. Dublin
    (01)4975826
    (087)9332578

seriously this guy is good and he tells you there and then what tests he does, what results he can give you on the day and what tests take a week to get back, hes 160 quid

p.s. hope im allowed stick hes contact info up...if im not mods will you remove the contact details.

I went to Freedman - he works in James' on Mondays and privately in Ranelagh.

Started off asking me questions about why I was there - thought him a bit rude at first but no, he was just being thorough.

He was very good, very nice and also gave me some very good advice.

All the doctors and nurses I've dealt with in James' Guide Clinic have been great - also, I'd rather be in the public system than at a private clinic if there was something up. They also have counsellors you can talk to about any issues.

Ok, So I got rather a bit of a shock recently when I found out that my GF had a former partner (Mr. X we'll say) who I know as a real player but she hadn't a clue about him.

Basically I'm afraid I may be infected with something from her which she may have caught from him and passed it onto me. I know this as a former platonic GF of mine told me one of her friends caught something from Mr. X.

We both intend to get tested ASAP, however my question is how long is the incubation period for HIV, Syphilis etc? I last had sex with this girl 3 days ago and she had sex last with Mr. X two weeks ago which was before we really hit it off.

I read you have to wait 3 months before the signs of HIV become present in your system so that they can be detected by the test. I intend that we both get tested for every STD under the sun, although I wore condoms it is no guarantee and she said she gave Mr. X oral which is worrying.

Also has anyone been tested in Tralee, Cork, Limerick or Ennis? Ennis or Tralee would be our best bet to get tested. I am visiting a GP (not my own regular) tomorrow and hopefully she will point us in the right direction.

We are abstaining now until we get the 100% clear on everything

scared and afraid

regular poster here.

have a major problem, going out with my gf about 8 months and prob have sex 4-5 times a week. she is on the patch and we always had unprotected sex. before my gf i was seeing 3 girls on and off for 6 months before it and always using protection.

problem is my gf wants me to get checked out because himself is after getting very smelly. a wart has appeared halfway between my belly button and my penis. do ye think i have something??

• Advertisement

Yes, not neccesarily an STI but if the lad starts smelling you'd wanna get to the doctor asap. Get em to check out the wart too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement