Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

keynesian wrote:
    It freeks me out when ppl don't want to ware condoms. Ever some times the person I know well, well, we have fights over him not wanting to ware condoms. I love him so I don't want to give him any thing, caz, well, I'm a slut and I may have some thing. It takes three month for HIV to show up. It has alot to do with alchol, I naver had this problum when I smoked hash, but that breings it's own problums.

The Survice for STI is a dicgrace. To atends the free clinic is a 10 to 4 on one day a week and it's over crowed. The Gay clinic is for gay.I brought my str8 friend and he was told he should indentefy himself as gay/bi. Even that clinic is getting full, caz awarens is rising, whitch is good. but the rescorses are not there.

I hope to god your foreign or buy a dictionary for Christmas! But your right the clinic in James's is a joke and DISGRACEFUL, we are still living under the stima of catholic Ireland - where theres no need for these clinics!Total bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭Victor

keynesian wrote:
    I brought my str8 friend and he was told he should indentefy himself as gay/bi.
    Be very careful with things like this. If everyone does it, it destroys the service and statistics for high-risk groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Victor wrote:
    Be very careful with things like this. If everyone does it, it destroys the service and statistics for high-risk groups.
    But perhaps better than someone choosing not to get tested because of the wait/cost and infecting other people...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Right while it is fresh in my mind i'll tell you from a females side exactly what happened for those wondering what they ask do blah blah.

On entering got a form to fill in. Just asking name, address, dob etc. They give you a number, as it is a confidential servive they do not call you by your name, they call you by a number eg, A0452

Sat and waited for about 15 minutes. A nurse called me in and she took two vials of blood. She said it was for HIV, Hep B and something else. Left there and back to a waiting area.

Waied about 20 minutes to see a doctor (female). She called me in and asked personal questions.
    No of sexual partners? Length of last relationship? Was i with anyone else during that relationship? With anyone new in last three months? Ever tested before? Last smear test? Last period? Check list of vaginal, oral and anal sex? Ever pregnant? Ever pay or been paid for sex? Any sympthoms and a few other questions.

She then told me to get undressed from the waist down and called in a different nurse. She then done what she had to do there. Just took a bit longer than it would take to do a smear. Got dressed.

Then went a peed in a bottle. And that was it.

Waited around for 15 minutes for some result of something to come back from the lab. First nurse called me back in and said everything looked fine but i have to wait 14 days for results.

Have to call them back then, quote reference number and get the results.

Bit embarrassing but that bit only last 5 minutes, and you have to go to the doctor for smear anyway and its just the same kinda thing they do. All over and done with in one go.

Right while it is fresh in my mind i'll tell you from a females side exactly what happened for those wondering what they ask do blah blah.
    Where was this?

• Advertisement

empirix wrote:
    didnt enjoy the needle thing being stuck halfway down my cock
    That's a complete exaggeration...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

OFDM wrote:
    Where was this?

It was Waterford STI clinic on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Hi Anybody who knows Anything about genital warts please give me some advice? Where is the best place to go in Dublin for sti tests. Im kind of broke so St.james might be my only option- has anybody gone to this clinic with genital warts, do they treat you on the day, is it frozen, or can you get cream, do you have tio come back another time for treatment? What about the well woman place? Im so worried about it, not long out of a relationship and think I have got genital wart, pretty sure, so have to go, and have to talk to ex again about it! Please help, is it something that can be treated effectively? Thanks

can be treated completely effectively. a guy i had broken up with called to say he had been diagnosed with an unidentifed urinary tract infection so i had to go to james and get myself checked out, discovered i had warts. they froze them on teh day and gave me cream, went back in two weeks and they were completely gone. no sign of them since either tg. was awfully upset at the time. they said there was no way of knowing where i got them, that the virus can be dormant for a long time. they also said the are extremely common and in fact they would not make you tell a partner. made me feel a bit better. all in all they were very nice. tho it was absolutely packed. for the return trip i went in the morning and was seen straight away. was good to get all the tests anyway, all clear too.

so don't worry, just go and get it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Does anyone have some suggestions on where to get a free or good value sti check on the Southside of Dublin? Somewhere that I could be confident is clean and professional. Or if there is nowhere free or cheap, just somewhere good. Cheers Rob'

'Its been asked a few times in this thread, but i cant see where its been answered.

If you go to an sti in a hospital, is the service confidential, or does the information go on your medical records? and does this depend on which one you go to?

I've found hospital details for sligo, mayo and galway but nothing says about the cost or confidentiality issues.

Thanks'

• Advertisement

'Most places use a separate file and patient number system for a STI clinic, which is kept (and usually stored) completely separately from any other chart you have.

Many clinics in the following list are free, though waiting times for free clinics can be longer than going privately. Just ring them up and ask about cost and confidentiality, they get asked that numerous times every day!

http://www.aidswest.ie/sti_help.htm'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

i would suggest all girls go for a smear swab test at least once a year if they are sexually active, as it stands 3-5 years is recommended for a smear by most gps but if you have more than 1 partner in that time than you stand the risk af contracting chlamydia which in approx half of all cases has no symptoms. Also a smear will not show up this infection, so when going to the gp ask for smear swab.

Chlamydia itself poses little fertility problems, but is a root cause of pelvic inflamatory disease or pid which is a severe cause of fertility problems and ectopic pregnancies. having chlamydia does not mean you have pid, but the longer you have chlamydia the more at risk you are of developing PID,

Men need to take responcibility here aswell, as chlamydia can also cause fertility problems in men, and also may not show any symptoms. Guys can get tested just as easily as women. infact more easily as they dont have to get undressed from the waste down, just unzip!!!

On a final note, statistically speaking if you have Ghonnorea you are at a higher risk of also having chlamydia, but the reverse is not true.

A scary statistical fact is that people who have contracted Ghonnorea are more at risk for contracting Aids and hep b,

patient.co.uk is an english website that has excellent sti information for anyone worried,

anyone on a budget can go to an Sti clinic in a public hospital. The ifpa.ie site has a list, they are free, confidential and the staff are used to dealing with the emotional side of getting tested so are comforting and friendly. A 14 day wait for results is about the norm.

'Some posters here seem to think that you can only go to an STI clinic. I just rang my local Medical Center, which is just two doctors sharing a premises. They told me that they do full STI screening and gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning.

I don't know what the cost will be but I'm working and I'd prefer to get seen privately for my first such visit.'

'Just to follow up. It was €60 for a full STI screening. The doc did a penis swab, which is painful but nothing like giving birth I'm sure. He also took bloods and a urine sample.

He asked me a lot of questions about my sex life and went through a lot of symptoms of STIs to see if I had noticed any of them.

I'll have the results at the end of next week.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

bored and tired,

All that's needed to test for Chlamydia is a urine sample so it's as easy for men and women to be tested for this.

A.

Just wondering where my post is gone, I was genuinely looking for help or advice. Looked in recycle bin but couldn't find it. It stayed up for several days, not sure whan I posted it but think it was in last 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ bacardi gal what post are you referring to?

'It was a post about being diagnosed with an std and asking peoples opinions about it. It stayed up on the site for several days though noone replied to it, it was a genuine post using this username and I really was hoping for some feedback. I don't want to write the same things again as I don't understand why the post was removed and don't want to risk having it removed again. My post was however not offensive.'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's on Page four of the PI forum, it hasn't been deleted, all old threads go on to the next page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055068604

'Thanks for that, but why is it out there on it's own and not part of this thread, I replied to this thread and it was initially at the end of this thread, now it looks like I started a new thread, but I had checked back to see if any replies so am positive it was here.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You created a new thread, that's why it's a new thread. It's better that way though, keep it to a new thread.

hows it goin - another question to add to the 9 pages...

Ive been to my doctor and STI clinic
    and had all the biggies eliminated but stil not convinced that i am
    herpes free. Have these symptoms which doc says is skin inflammation and nothin to worry about but it hasnt gone away. I asked my doctor and she said blood tests for herpes (1or2)
    arent done in Ireland, that only swabs of suspected infection are taken when
    blisters break. For my own piece of mind i am determined to find out via a
    blood test to be as sure as possible. Does anyone know if anywhere in Ireland wil do this? I have found a private clinic in London which will do it for €200 and il go for it if last resort but i find it hard to believe something similar doesn exist in Ireland?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DublinDan

To 140407, my advice is don't waste your money.

That blood test is an antibody test which shows if you've ever been exposed to the herpes simplex virus (HSV) in your life, even years ago. Probably 80-90% of the population will be positive for HSV 1 (if you've ever had a cold sore you'll be positive) while 20-40% of the population will be positive for HSV-2. It doesn't mean your symptoms are anything to do with herpes.

I'm unaware of anywhere in Ireland doing this and the reason they don't is it is expensive and doesn't answer questions like yours.

DublinDan wrote:
    To 140407, my advice is don't waste your money.

That blood test is an antibody test which shows if you've ever been exposed to the herpes simplex virus (HSV) in your life, even years ago. Probably 80-90% of the population will be positive for HSV 1 (if you've ever had a cold sore you'll be positive) while 20-40% of the population will be positive for HSV-2. It doesn't mean your symptoms are anything to do with herpes.

I'm unaware of anywhere in Ireland doing this and the reason they don't is it is expensive and doesn't answer questions like yours.

i know but itmight help me rule stuf out. its not the annoyance of the skin condition (watever it is) but ive been to everything from gp to clinic to dermatiologist and nobody can tell me. for instance in sti clinic i asked could it be herpes and instead of lookiung or replying she goes oh but sure we cant cure that (as if then theres no reason to test for it). Id want to know if i have it passing it on to someone else is not something id like to do. Of course i could be opening a major can of worms too because if i did have it dont know hoiwd i handle women side of things n future. neone have ne advice/similar situation?

@ 140407

i had a scare a while back, saw 3 doctors, one said it was herpes, the other said no....... they refered me to an expert, she said it was just a little friction burn, nothing to worry about.
    now, like an idiot, i've got another scare afer a condom broke. there's a tiny bump, nothing like the classic pictures of herpes.

the problem is, there's so much differing information about it online, they say, generaly a first outbreak is severe, a cluster of blisters on irratated skin, but that it could also be very mild, but not as likely. i'm watching it like a hawk.

so, i can understand why you would want the blood test, seems doctors opionions differ about this.... a visuale diagnosis is not conclusive in my opinion.

best bet is a swap, and that can only be done when there's fluid coming from a blister.

anyway, good luck.

887766 wrote:
    @ 140407

i had a scare a while back, saw 3 doctors, one said it was herpes, the other said no....... they refered me to an expert, she said it was just a little friction burn, nothing to worry about.
    now, like an idiot, i've got another scare afer a condom broke. there's a tiny bump, nothing like the classic pictures of herpes.

the problem is, there's so much differing information about it online, they say, generaly a first outbreak is severe, a cluster of blisters on irratated skin, but that it could also be very mild, but not as likely. i'm watching it like a hawk.

so, i can understand why you would want the blood test, seems doctors opionions differ about this.... a visuale diagnosis is not conclusive in my opinion.

best bet is a swap, and that can only be done when there's fluid coming from a blister.

anyway, good luck.

feel ur pain, blisters dont appear in the classic sense i nmycase never seen fluid comin out of it. my advce dont bother searching online, just fuels ur anxiety. so whats ur nex tstep, abck to the doctor? im trying to decide is it worth paying about €350 to get to london to do a blood test for the fecker. Apparently though half population has been exposed to it at some stage (only some show symptoms) so mite show up cause of that

140407 wrote:
    feel ur pain, blisters dont appear in the classic sense i nmycase never seen fluid comin out of it. my advce dont bother searching online, just fuels ur anxiety. so whats ur nex tstep, abck to the doctor? im trying to decide is it worth paying about €350 to get to london to do a blood test for the fecker. Apparently though half population has been exposed to it at some stage (only some show symptoms) so mite show up cause of that

agree, there's alot of forums and the symptoms are pretty vague, i did find medhelp.com good, as there's qualified doctors answering questions, and there seems to be loads of people in the same boat, alot of which, the doctors/dermatoligists on there say should be ok, which is a bit comforting.

i'm going back to my doctor tomorrow for a full sti screen. hopefully i haven't gotten anything too serious, but the chances of that are very low.

as for what this tiny bump is...... well, judging from previous experience and depending on what doctor i get, they could say, it's more than likely herpes, not sure or i've nothing to worry about.

i read somthing on a forum before which stuck, guy said, when you think you've gotten somthing, you're looking alot more and over analysisng.

the last time i went to my doc, had a few red patches, she said it's skin, and this happens all the time, and if it was a first outbreak for herpes, i'd know all about it, lots of blisters, fever etc...

anyway, fingers crossed.

what clinc in london did you find, did a search myself, they're not very informative on what the actual test is.

887766 wrote:
    agree, there's alot of forums and the symptoms are pretty vague, i did find medhelp.com good, as there's qualified doctors answering questions, and there seems to be loads of people in the same boat, alot of which, the doctors/dermatoligists on there say should be ok, which is a bit comforting.

i'm going back to my doctor tomorrow for a full sti screen. hopefully i haven't gotten anything too serious, but the chances of that are very low.

as for what this tiny bump is...... well, judging from previous experience and depending on what doctor i get, they could say, it's more than likely herpes, not sure or i've nothing to worry about.

i read somthing on a forum before which stuck, guy said, when you think you've gotten somthing, you're looking alot more and over analysisng.

the last time i went to my doc, had a few red patches, she said it's skin, and this happens all the time, and if it was a first outbreak for herpes, i'd know all about it, lots of blisters, fever etc...

anyway, fingers crossed.

what clinc in london did you find, did a search myself, they're not very informative on what the actual test is.

http://www.samedaydoctor.co.uk/index.aspx
    ver pricey though 140 sterling for test ( iemailed them specifically askin wt that 1test would cost, website just has full test prices) and den back and forth for flights. ud have results in short time so they say on website. some sickner of a situation to be in isnt it. id agree with the thinkin u have it thing, ive become obsessed with it. back on monday for clinic in Ireland, maybe more answers. Anyway as mods keep saying, tis no medical forum and we just fuel our obsession by going in circles! best of luck ( i know il need it)

'does anyone know anywhere other than the limerick regional (and barringtons) that does tests? These places have very long waiting lists.'

• Advertisement

All, just a quick update here.

I attended the St James guide clinic yesterday.

I had anticipated this wouldnt be a flyin visit so called in sick to work.
    The clinic starts at 1 and Everyone had advised to be there 1 hr early.
    I got there 1.5 hrs early and the place was packed. They would only see 25 patients and I was in the early 20's.

I got registered at 13.30, then it was just a case of sit n wait.

I was seen at about 15.45, the doctor was very reassuring and very concise going through my sexual history etc.

Hopped up onto the bed, she made a quick inspection.
    Admittedly the swap of the urethra was a bit uncomfortable but minor.
    That was the "physical" over.

Went next door for the blood test - nothing to fear here.

Then there was a 30 minute wait to see the counsellor, who just reassures you, puts your mind at ease etc.

Tom Petty must have had an STI test in James before.

The waiting was the hardest part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement