Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaun of the Dead

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by koneko
    If you like Spaced you'll like this. Plus I love zombie flicks. It mixes the two very well. Very enjoyable.
    That's the thing. My friend is a big "Spaced" fan and he was very disappointed with this. We both much prefered the recent remake to this. Down with it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

The first hour was so great. I laughed at everything. Pity the annoying flatmate used his normal voice not the really annoyingly "cool" one he puts on in Spaced. He made a great
    "Z" word
    though. The atmosphere was really well constructed with sirens in the back the whole time and Shaun oblivious to it all made everything funny.

Brilliant at the start when the girlfriend says "We never have time alone to.."
    "F!*K" shouts his mate up playing pinball :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It was boring. Some funny parts and yes as everyone said the social commentary was good. Overall a big letdown though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Found it enjoyable enough. Some parts were boring but overall, a good enough film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fantastic film! :D

The characters really made the film work, and I concur greatly with what Zaphod B said.

The sheer amount of references in it nearly makes it worth watching again, just to see what I missed out on the first time. Such as "We're coming to get you, Barbera!" or "Join Us" or that Shaun works at 'Foree' electronics, or the resteraunt Fulci's, or the "Rage infected monkeys" comment...

Brilliant! :D

Edit: Actually, did anyone else hear the rumours of the sequal "From Dusk 'Till Shaun"??? Could be interesting indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ebony

I thought it was totally class!:D

I loved that they didnt sacrfice drama for comedy and it made me realise what an AMAZING actor Simon Pegg is, so in love with him now!:)

the jokes were great! love dark humour and it was the best I've seen in ages.

for me it was everything a horror/zombie movie should be: dont take its self seriously, build the characters so we care about them, make the gore funny or else its just twisted.

and yeah I saw simon pegg on screenplay saying he had half written a sequel "from dusk till shaun" but he said he was only half serious about it doing at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If they can lampoon Vampire movies half as a good as Zombie movies, then it would be brilliant altogether.

Im just after seeing. I thought it was very good. If only the two behind me could have shut up for the first 45 minutes. They were constantly laughing, shame it wasnt because of the film.

I heard that they plan to do a trilogy of films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

28 days later meets men behaving badly

that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

As a big Spaced fan, I was delighted that this turned out to be a quality comedy AND horror film. I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw the trailer a few weeks before it was released, but (unlike trailers for U.S. films) they wisely left out the best bits. Hopefully, if SOTD is a success, it will help rescue British comedy films from the Richard Curtis/Hugh Grant stranglehold.
    Was also a welcome relief from no-brainer American comedies that seem to be released every other week. The last five minutes of SOTD (the TV montage on the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse) had more wit and imagination than all of Adam Sandler's movies put together. Looking forward now to the League of Gentlemen film next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Half decent film.

Very enjoyable first half full of good situations, one-liners and social commentary but the film totally loses all interest and humour as soon as the 6 of them hop out of the Jag and begin their trek to the Winchester.

This and stuff like 'The Parole Officer' has convinced me that the top British cult TV comedians should just stick to tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

4/10

- i thought it was all over the place, plus i could have done without the social commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I thought it was great as i love channel 4 black comidies and spaced so i though was a great film gave a new meaning to thr queen son dont stop me now ;)

Advertisement