Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaun of the Dead

Options
  • 07-04-2004 12:23pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Went to see a preview of this last night. Very funny. If you like those Channel 4 type black comedies you'll love it. Some great scenes like flicking through a vinyl collection to see which ones can be used to throw at a couple of zombies. Highly recommend it anyway!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Can't wait to see it myself. Looks like an feature-length episode of the excellent Spaced, with zombies! What more could you ask for?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Watched the Res. Evil episode of Spaced again at the weekend to whet my appetite.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by satchmo
    Can't wait to see it myself. Looks like an feature-length episode of the excellent Spaced, with zombies! What more could you ask for?!

Yeah, very like Spaced but with a lot extra. Some great moments. Some silly moments. Small cameo appearance from Tim from the office. Some dark moments. Mostly funny though with the odd serious bit thrown in to give your sides enough time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I was at the Pigsback screening Tuesday night, it was very funny, a few good belly laughs, especially when they first encounter the zombies.
    when they see the first zombie girl and think she is drunk and the girl gets on top of shaun and all his mate can think of is taking a photo, and the shaun pushing her back and her being impaled on some garden yoke, very funny!
    I thought that when they ended up in the pub the comedy disappeared :-( but I guess it ended well enough

Originally posted by WezzyB
    I was at the Pigsback screening Tuesday night, it was very funny, a few good belly laughs, especially when they first encounter the zombies.

when they see the first zombie girl and think she is drunk and the girl gets on top of shaun and all his mate can think of is taking a photo, and the shaun pushing her back and her being impaled on some garden yoke, very funny!
    I thought that when they ended up in the pub the comedy disappeared :-( but I guess it ended well enough

I love the bit when
    they're in the basement and the fat guy is about to die and he says sorry 'cause he's farted again. Great way to break up the morbidness of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I really wanted to love it but the film just stops being funny in the 2nd half. Really strange considering how fantastic the first hour is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    I really wanted to love it but the film just stops being funny in the 2nd half. Really strange considering how fantastic the first hour is.

Although it not a sitcom spin-off directly it sounds like it sufferes from the usual problem of stretching a 30 min script idea into a feature film.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

As a whole it was very good. The first 30 was a bit on the slow side but once it got going it great. The comedy did disappear a bit towards the end but the acting was pretty impressive I thought, so that kept it suprisingly gripping.
    It ended well too.
    Everyone I was with enjoyed it so I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

I've just got back from seeing it.

I loved it to bits but i do have to agree that when it got overly sentimental it tended to drift a wee bit. I quite liked the pub scene the use of Queen in it was great!

SPOILER
    I quite like the idea that his mate, played by jess stevenson, blatantly had a much more exciting time than he did, with the army and stuff... i think her name was Yvonne which would make her "Yvonne of the dead"...

Anyways, top film. I'l go again in a week i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i saw it 2nite ,it was very very funny the 2nd half not as funnyn as the first half tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Saw it last night, loved it. Thought the plot hung together pretty well and there was some funny sub-text about how people in London think nothing of the weirdest behaviour from complete strangers. I live in North London and it was very odd, a zombie film based on my life :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LemmingBoy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH its Over 18s NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'm just back from seeing it. I have to say, its was a very enjoyable movie. Lots of funny puts.... that really shouldn't have been funny, but where none the less :)

A good watch all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Minor spoiler
    When they woke up after the night drinking, and Shaun comes in and asks your man does he want anything from the shop, and he looks for a corneto, i swear i didnt think id ever stop laughing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye asking for a correneto and dogs cant look up where so funny i laighed for 20 min cause of both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My favourite bit:
    The big guy slowly winding on the camera when the girl stood up in the garden
    :)

Genius...

I thought the second half was almost as funny as the first half... There were still lots of laugh-out-loud bits in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Originally posted by TmB
    My favourite bit:
    The big guy slowly winding on the camera when the girl stood up in the garden
    :)

Had forgotten about that hahahahahaha, im gonna go see it again today :)

The bit at the end showing using the zombies for various crap jobs and using them on the game shows HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw it in Galway on the weekend and will most likely be going to see it again during the week because it's great. I haven't laughed this much at a film in ages. Dylan Moran's character was brilliantly annoying and I love the way that he keeps getting called a c*nt to his face :D.
    And the ongoing thing about "yes, but he says dogs can't look up" was brilliant

Sheer class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I loved the little sound bit at the end:
    Where you hear on the tv "Theories that it was caused by rage filled monkeys have been dismissed as bollo-" and then they change the channel
    Class film over all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I though it was great i like it when
    his mate ed crashed the car so they would have to take the Jag [/spoler] or when
    his girlfriend is trying to have a deep conversation with him and ed keeps swearing in the backround

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I thought it was good, brilliant in parts, easily a better film than Dawn of the Dead 2004, in my opinion. Not even just as a comedy, as a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Pure bloody class.

Emphasis on the 'bloody' though - really gory in parts especially in the bit where...
    Dylan moran gets all his bits ripped out then gets pulled apart
    in true Romero style. It even had a bit of social commentary;
    like being totally oblivious to the zombies, flicking past news channels as they're reporting a zombie takeover of the world etc
    . So overall it's like a proper George Romero movie - plus comedy! And damn good comedy at that! What more can you possibly want in a movie?

Couple of my favourite bits...
    When the step-dad turns into a zombie - "He's not my dad!" "Oh let's not start that again dear!"
    Anything and everything Ed did or said... right from the start with Shaun discussing how "Ed doesn't have many friends..." "Any of you c*nts want a drink?"
    When they find out the rifle works and the landlord was 'connected'.... "Ok... but dogs CAN look up!"
    There's far too many brilliant moments for me to list and a lot of the ones that come to mind at the moment have already been mentioned.

I didn't really mind that the second hour wasn't as funny because by then I actually cared about the characters (infinitely more than I did with Dawn of the Dead 2004... even more than the characters in the original Dead trilogy now that I think about it!) and I was happy with whatever they did. The bit where
    Shaun had to shoot his mum
    was more moving than most movies actually attempting to be serious have managed in the last few years.

Er I'm just being petty here but personally I thought it should have been Sean of the Dead... but I guess the number of people who would misread that would be astronomical.

In summary I'd say this is not just the funniest but one of the best new movies I've seen in years. Except I really wish I hadn't said that now because once something's been hyped that much it never quite seems as good as it should.

Originally posted by Zaphod B
    Er I'm just being petty here but personally I thought it should have been Sean of the Dead.

Maybe he spelt his name Shaun as some people do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I love it!

Oooooh he's got an arm off! Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Here lads, sound for the info, i hate Tv and the only thing i ever went to see in the cinema after that whole teeniebopper phase was Lord Of The Rings and as soon as i get my money changed im gonna see that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Am I the only person who didn't find this movie funny at all?
    It should have been called Shawn of the dead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Blisterman
    Am I the only person who didn't find this movie funny at all?
    No. I was very very dissapointed with it. A few laughs, the social commentary was amusing enough, but it wasn't funny nor dramatic enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Eh? That... doesnt even make sense!

As for the film I'll accept the humour and action weren't really spread out well enough - the pacing was definitely a bit odd - but overall I thought it easily good enough to overcome that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's not an American film, so no :p

I thought it was great. If you like Spaced you'll like this. Plus I love zombie flicks. It mixes the two very well. Very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Interesting to see a cross between "coupling" and a zombiefest flick, superior to that piece of crap remake dawn of the dead anyway.

davej

Advertisement