Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie advice on bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by paulj13

One that struck my interest without any major investigation was the sliver fox by Muddyfox. Here the details from one of the sites selling it so forgive any over the top sales jargon.
    Does it look anything like this:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=1751&productId=95499

TBH, most of the big manufacturers make entry-level bikes. At your price range, things like front and rear suspension will either be a) A big pile of dogs turds, or b)removing cash from somewhere else on the bike. Things like disc brakes will be the same.

Go for a fully rigid, 21 or 24 speed bike, with as much chromoly or aluminium in the frame as you can find. A good frame is a basis for upgrading. The most expensive and incompatible part of any bike to upgrade is the frame. You're better off upgrading components bit by bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Seamus

I’m in told agreement. However finding one is very difficult and most entry level ones seem to try and entice the mammy’s and Daddy’s with the cheap bells and whistles like front suspension crap.

The actually bike in question only had front fork suspension and can be seen here:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1001&langId=-1&searchTerms=3303395

I would ideally like to go of a fully aluminium rigid frame but I’m nor sure if one exists inside my price range, or do they???? Answers on a postcard please.

Originally posted by paulj13
    I would ideally like to go of a fully aluminium rigid frame but I’m nor sure if one exists inside my price range, or do they???? Answers on a postcard please.
    3 good examples:
    http://www.gtbikes.com/mountain/catalog/detail.php?id=726
    http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/2004/mountain/hardtail_recreational/3500.php
    http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=282

*Almost* in your price range :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Thanks Seamus great info

I think the GT and the Schwinn seem to be the way to go (depednign on the Euro price of course). I'm leading towords the Schwinn from what I've reseached.

Does anyone know shops in Dublin (or Newry/Belfact for that matter) that stock both of these?

Kind Regards,

The Cycle Superstore in Tallaght stocked schwinns when I last checked. www.cyclesuperstore.ie
    If not, these guys import them:
    http://www.moorelarge.co.uk/
    So you could give them a bell and ask if they supply to anyone in Ireland

Most good shops will stock some GTs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah Paul, I understand your quandry - it's almost impossible to find a half-decent bike at that price range - when I started looking at new bikes instead of 2nd hand I immediately realised I had to up my budget 200E more.

That said, from the links seamus posted the 2004 GT Aggressor doesn't look bad and 179.99 STG comes out about 268.620 EUR, you might be able to find somewhere here selling for around that price.

--

Uber - re: suspension fork, I'm going to have a test ride on the 4300 today and see how it goes. I'm pretty happy with all the other components on the bike, and it beats the entry level Hardrock (at 399E) on pretty much every spec - it's more comparable to the mid-range Specialized, which are at about 6-700.

Got my 24/15 working with a little effort (pushing derailer with my foot :)) so now I can cycle along Clontarf coast against that nasty wind we've had lately! :) Thing is when I'm in 42/15 I have to hold the gear shift in place with my thumb otherwise it drops back to 34/15! I need a new bike!

Originally posted by Trojan
    Got my 24/15 working with a little effort (pushing derailer with my foot :)) so now I can cycle along Clontarf coast against that nasty wind we've had lately! :) Thing is when I'm in 42/15 I have to hold the gear shift in place with my thumb otherwise it drops back to 34/15! I need a new bike!
    Easily fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I put a deposit down yesterday for the 4300. Here's what I'm gettting:

4300 (non-disk)
    Continental Sport Contact slicks
    BBB Dual Choice spds

That lot is ~440. I'll probably spend another 60 in there on LEDs, a decent lock and a water cage.

Final question: should I ask the guys to replace the quick release mechanisms with allen-key or nuts? Comments on that?

Thanks for all the help and comments
    particularly to seamus, uberwolf, silverside & bedlam (who I've been annoying on irc) :)

Originally posted by Trojan
    Final question: should I ask the guys to replace the quick release mechanisms with allen-key or nuts? Comments on that?
    That's purely up to yourself. If you're going to be leaving it in an open place for remotely long periods of time, I'd advise it.

You can get Allen-key replacements for them quite cheap IIRC. It's a trivial replacement you can (and should) do yourself. Quick release levers are independent of the hub mechanism, so there's no bearings, grease or nuts to mess about with, it's a simple as sliding the quick release bar out, and sliding the replacement bar in.

Advertisement