Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important debate for SG form + Anubis poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Originally posted by User45701
    Use a spoler tag!

[spoiler@] type spoiler here [/spoiler@] except type it without the @ and then it will be hidden like so
    type spoiler here

I dont see how there is even a remote chance that you will read the text in a really light colour, but miss the text above written in bold in a darker colour.

Yes, it could have been hidden, I could have made the spoiler warning in bold, I could have written the post in a textfile and attached it etc etc etc etc... but I think I was clear enough the way I did it.

Are you seriously saying you missed the warning and read the post by mistake??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i didnt read it but its still better to spoiler tag it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gotta agree with User again - spoiler tags are the common way to treat spoiler information on boards. That's why they're inbuilt! If ever we get our moderator powers, I'm sure that'll go into a charter, just as it would elsewhere for any material that is not yet available to a reasonable audience in Ireland.

For your benefit, Sir, I added spoilertags...
    spoiler tags are the common way to treat spoiler information on boards. That's why they're inbuilt!

No, they are the common way BECAUSE they are built in.
    Just because everyone does it a certain way does not mean you have to. I was clear about the fact that it was a spoiler and I didn't ruin anything for anyone (unless they were so thick they read the post and missed the warning).
    ever we get our moderator powers... bla bla bla...

.. but we don't have a mod, and I don't understand what difference it would have made (except that people might stop complaining about stupid things like spoilertags). If I had done something wrong I'd understand people being upset, but right now you are asking me to follow rules that don't exist, even after I didn't spoil anything for anyone...
    just as it would elsewhere for any material that is not yet available to a reasonable audience in Ireland.

It's common to be CLEAR ABOUT THE FACT THAT IT'S A SPOILER (do you not see how the text in bold stands out when the rest is in a lighter colour??).

I was clear, I didn't use the tags because I don't like having to highlight stuff to read it, and I don't know if everyone knows thats how to read it. I still made sure I was clear so that people wouldn't read it even by mistake. Guess that wasn't enough for some people!

Well, you have your spoilertags now...

I just quit smoking about a week ago, and stopped using nicotin inhalers yesterday, so pretty much everything annoys me like hell right now, so please, lets start the spoiler-tag argument... I'm more than ready.

Thanx for the spoiler tags.

Why the
    ever we get our moderator powers... bla bla bla...

Why blah blah blah?

All we asked for was spoiler taghs what is so bad about that?

• Advertisement

All we asked for was spoiler taghs what is so bad about that?

You didn't ask for them, you told me to use them and then continued on telling me how to use them.

This is your post:
    Originally posted by User45701
    Use a spoler tag!

[spoiler@] type spoiler here [/spoiler@] except type it without the @ and then it will be hidden like so
    type spoiler here

Had you asked atleast a little nicely, I probably would have changed it without saying anything.

The blah blah blah wasn't from your post or aimed at you in any way....

Originally posted by muffen
    Just because everyone does it a certain way does not mean you have to. I was clear about the fact that it was a spoiler and I didn't ruin anything for anyone (unless they were so thick they read the post and missed the warning).
    I've spent a long time on newsgroups before this and have become aware of proper netiquette. On newsgroups, discussing TV programs, there are hard and fast conventions dictating how to approach spoilers, including the minimum use of spoiler space. You do not - in such cases - decide to make up your own rules. For example, in your case, there was very little lines between the spoiler warning and the body text. Anyone, with a high resolution, would easily have paged down and seen both on screen at the same time. I happen to be able to often absorb a lot of the information onscreen, so could actually have been spoilt despite the warning. Hence the 25-30 line rule used.

I just quit smoking about a week ago, and stopped using nicotin inhalers yesterday, so pretty much everything annoys me like hell right now, so please, lets start the spoiler-tag argument... I'm more than ready.
    Well that's my response. I'm readily going to admit that I can be very anal about spoilering! I think spoiler tags are the best way to avoid information escaping into the hands of those who would rather remain blind.

Decided to remove the post cause I just cant be arsed anymore.

The spoilertags are there... case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Decided to remove the post cause I just cant be arsed anymore.

The spoilertags are there... case closed!

well thank god for that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

EDIT: Apperantly the space above, the message in bold and the lighter colour of the text below was not enough for user45701 and ixoy to understand that the text contains spoilers, so I added spoilertags.
    [/spoiler]
    It's rather difficult to continue reading the rest of the thread in the absence of spoiler tags if you're the type of person who doesn't want to read the spoilers.

any chance of continuing about the original topic or something near to it? Wouldn't that be more fun?

• Advertisement

It's rather difficult to continue reading the rest of the thread in the absence of spoiler tags if you're the type of person who doesn't want to read the spoilers.

... ummm... did I not put them there like 2 days ago?

Well now we have an answer to our question that we asked some time ago.

User45701 wrote:
    Well now we have an answer to our question that we asked some time ago.

Just saw Atlantis this weekend, I was impressed with how right I was :)

Atlantis looks really good... might even become better than the original SG1, it definately has the potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

What do ya mean how right you were?

ANyone who read the spoilers on other sites would have been able to provide the info you did back then.

Still off the smokes?

As far as i know there was no spoilers on 22-03-2004

Draupnir wrote:
    What do ya mean how right you were?

ANyone who read the spoilers on other sites would have been able to provide the info you did back then.

Still off the smokes?

When I posted, the info wasn't up on any other site that I had seen.
    I got it from a post on slashdot, which is why I was impressed that it was so accurate.

Thanks for the input though, very informative and helpful... now, regardless of well.. everything.. why did you feel it was necessary to post something like: "Still off the smokes?"
    It's pretty obvious to me that comments like that can only lead in one direction... towards yet-another-internet-forum-argument. Haven't you had enough of those (I know I have)?

muffen wrote:
    why did you feel it was necessary to post something like: "Still off the smokes?"
    It's pretty obvious to me that comments like that can only lead in one direction... towards yet-another-internet-forum-argument. Haven't you had enough of those (I know I have)?
    And I'd agree, so you may as well both know: don't think about it. No time for petty insults and arguments, clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Not wanting to annoy anyone but for me spoiler tag's are of no use.

At the moment I have up to season 6 on dvd and am waiting for 7,I have seen none of 7,8 or Atlantis.

I enjoy reading your post's about episode's I have never seen it just make's me all the more eager to see them. My knowing this will not stop me enjoying the episode.

Global.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Same here, will still see the episodes...if you have a link, story etc. then will read it.

Advertisement