Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a historical Jesus Christ

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

If he was just some poor nobody from the arse-end of Isreal he would be considered a crackpot - but there are some convincing arguments that he was actually a member of high society, which makes the idea of a Jesus-led rebellion a lot more believeable than "dying for our sins".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Originally posted by Dar
    He formented armed insurrection

Are you quite certain it was armed insurrection?

its funny in a way, because nowadays if someone claimed to be a messiah etc they would laughed at , mainly because so many people actually think or claim they are a messiah.

Jesus was often mocked, according to the Bible.

In my opinion, he definitely existed as a human being. I also believe he was Messiah as per Scripture - but I have read that there is a wealth of non-Scripture evidence (Roman military records, and such) of his human existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Are you quite certain it was armed insurrection?

Yes. Years ago I read up about this in a few places and aforementioned convincing arguments did include evidence for Jesus as a military leader. I can't remember them off the top of my head, but the one I can remember was the moneylenders at the temple. Beforehand he told his followers to get weapons, and later he walks into the temple and turns over the tables. Just like that. He walzed into a guarded jewish temple with his followers and noone said a word to him.

It smacks of cut and paste history. Remember a hundred years later christianity had to integrate into Roman culture to survive, so any evidence of the messiah (who was now the all-singing all-dancing son of god according to the christians) being anti-roman would be buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Yes. Years ago I read up about this in a few places and aforementioned convincing arguments did include evidence for Jesus as a military leader.

Indeed? I was of the impression that he was an Essene, according to certain archaeologists and historians, both Christian and anti-, researching the Dead Sea Scrolls. Being a member of this non-violent mystic sect of Judaism would seem to preclude his leadership of an uprising. I shall look into the matter.
    He walzed into a guarded jewish temple with his followers and noone said a word to him.

If, on the other hand, they had no weapons, why would anybody try to stop him and his followers entering what was a place of business? Bearing in mind that a spiritual leader with followers would be a common sight around the streets of Roman-era Jerusalem.

Advertisement