Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new first for TV3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Television Adspend for RTE One N2 and TV3 (Source www.medialive.ie)

TOTAL 2003 = €194,900,00
    RTE = €144,190,000 est.
    TV3 = €50,710,000 est.

Taking that

RTE One = 27.4 National share
    N2 = 10.7 National share
    TV3 = 13.4 National share

TG4 = 2.7 National share

Estimate on TG4 Adspend = €10,218,000

the total adspend for RTE AND TV3 is down on last year prehaps down to the number of UK channels providing advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Originally posted by Elmo

Fir Agus mna Na Heireann - Revoiced Programme from RTE Library

An Arts Programme -
    Produced By Rte as compulsory content to National Language channel

7 La - News From Throughout week(Like TV3's Week In Review)

Ardan - dont know it
    Cogar - Dont know it
    GAA Beo (They Have rights to it - TV3 show Eircom League, Champions League and Irish Internationals)
    Rugbi Beo(Rights issue again got because of RTEand the irish side of things)
    Ard San Aer - dont know it
    Dubbing for Childrens Programming (All easily done in house as i said b4)(Cula 4)
    Short Films( More film content output on tv3)
    Etc. Etc.(Being ...what>?)

so what youve really pointed out is that they produce the gaa and rugby in irish from the license payers money, and without any of the money(except for a small amount as pointed out by earthman) they produce same amount of programming:)

so your point is....:D :D:D:D

I like the way that you point out certain thing that I have said yet have forgot the money aspect of things.

I amn't looking for anything major from TV3 in the line of Prime Time TV what I am looking for is Prime Time TV from TV3.

I think TG4 do a very good job with the little money they have.

They have 30mil from the Irish Exchequer (not the licence fee), 6mil from RTE and maybe 10mil from Advertising (But since there not a very attractive station to advertise on I assume (ASSUME) that it is much less then this).

TV3 on the other hand have 50mil (perhaps more since they have a the 15 to 45 year old age group, there the magic numbers you know) yet most of the production is out side prime time plus that production is not anything major.

As you point out ted TV3 make the excellent Adgenda yet it is just a sunday morning show, its also cheaply made yet I am sure very popular with the aduience they have, Prime Time gets 400,000 viewers, why not allow Adgenda have this amount of viewers. (And before you say it a realise that Adgenda could never get 400,000 viewers they would be luck to get 200,000 viewers during prime time on TV3 but then thats much more then what TV3 generally gets out side of Coro St and Emmers).
    Fir Agus mna Na Heireann - Revoiced Programme from RTE Library

This show is hosted by Cliona Ni Buallicha, its an one on one interview style programme.
    7 La - News From Throughout week(Like TV3's Week In Review)

I beleive that this is more like TV3's Adgenda programme or RTE's Week in Politics, their other news programme Suil Siar is more like the Week in Review.
    Ardan - dont know it
    Cogar - Dont know it

Ardan - an hour long chat show
    Cogar - a documentry series (not Fiorsceal their redubbed doco)

Why not comment on the 50mil. Why not give out about RTE. but When it comes to TG4 they are still doing a far superior job of make TV.
    Ard San Aer - dont know it
    Dubbing for Childrens Programming (All easily done in house as i said b4)(Cula 4)
    Short Films( More film content output on tv3)

You seem to know very little about TG4.

Ard San Aer is a weekly sports programme
    Dubbing of Cartoons is out sources as is most of the production on TG4
    By short films I ment Irish short movies not American or British movies. They call these series of short films Lasair and Oscailte.

RTE must provide 1hr per day free of charge to TG4.

TG4 is a Government initiative for public service broadcasting and is funded by the Exchequer. In 2002 the annual amount of current funding it received from the Exchequer was €21.8m. The programme provision it receives from RTÉ each year, at no cost to TG4, has been valued at €7.5m by RTÉ.

TG4 invests over €15m annually in original programming from the independant production sector in Ireland. This investment supports 350 posts in small private sector companies throughout the island.

TG4 (Teilifís na Gaeilge) was established under the statutory and corporate aegis of Radió Telefís Éireann (RTÉ). The Broadcasting Act 2001 allows for the establishment of TG4 as an independant statutory body.

From TG4 sport

As a publisher-broadcaster, TG4's coverage is outsourced. Programmes and facilities are commissioned programmes from independent companies.

ok Elmo, from your post finally im getting 2 things. Firstly

1. You know alot about TG4 and i dont

and like wise

2. I Know alot more about TV3 than you do.

This conversation could go on for Hundreds of more posts, but there seems to be no solution to either of our problems. I Feel you have a bit of a tie with TG4 and therefore you are going to be pro Tg4, same as i am pro TV3. I Look forward to reading the others comments on this whole thread, but as i havent got any straight answers from you yet on HOW to do all of your great ideas, im going to do the sensible thing and get on with my life without wasting my time with any more input.

• Advertisement

Dear Ted,

You are just not listening to me.

I amn't anti TV3 I am just disappoint at the way in which TV3 are going. Generally I am dissappointed the way Irish Television is going.

I prob don't know how do answer, what should TV3 do?

My only reply is, It does not make sence to me how they can provide 3hrs of television each morning and only provide Popcorn as there only Irish Content during prime time.

I am complete discusted at RTE since the took up EastEnders, I would have rather they kept Gelroe.

I think that TV3 could have provided something more but they didn't.

I don't feel that TV3 have give what the Irish people wanted and that is competition. TV3 don't provide very much competition to RTE thus RTE continue to produce the same old same old the TV charts remain static. Coro St, Fair City, Late Late and Winning Streak remain high in the charts. The only change there is that EastEnders has joined them. We needed a shake up really bad back in 1998 and what we got was TV3. A company that makes TV to fulfil it remit to the BCI.

What TV3 will do?

Prob just become ITV Eire. But I hope I am wrong.

Also while you seem to think you know lots about TV3 you have not show us this. Please and I am being nice here let me know what you know. I am interested.

Do reply. then maybe with the information that you give me you might be able to change my mind. Don't resort to name calling etc.

in relation to Earthman's comments and yours

1. Yes you were being a tiny nasty to me (i dont care)
    2. Earthman like other board users never take on favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

The Underdogs on TG4 was the first Irish program I've watched in years, TG4 is ten steps above the rest, just look at their on screen logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

Originally posted by Round Cable
    The Underdogs on TG4 was the first Irish program I've watched in years, TG4 is ten steps above the rest, just look at their on screen logo.

What are we looking out for here??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you subtract the programming from TV3 that almost 100% of population can watch from UK, then TV3 would be about 2 to 3 hours a day tops.

TV3 does almost NOTHING for any minority interests, Ireland outside the "Pale" or English Speaking Irish Culture.

TG4 existance is no excuse for an Irish station (TV3) to do NO Irish (I speak none and never learnt any being from "North").

TG4 fullfills a valuable Public service role, that a purely commercial station would not do.

The News Mag TV AM in the morning, while the best home produced TV3 show (almost the only one), is heavily indulging more and more in "in program" advertising. All the text and phone in numbers are premium rate to make money, not really relevent programming. TV3 and Phonavation must make a packet out of that show.

More and more of the "magasine" articles are simply advertising promotions and not much informative.

A commercial TV station *is* there to make money, but as part of reponsibility of having a broadcast lincence, all Radio and TV must meet standards of culture, advertiseing, editorial independance and balance, rather than an accountant's percieved LCD "popular" money maker.

Irish TV generally has gone downhill seriously. All the stations need to really rethink. TG4 at least is closest to their "remit" or PSB charter.

In terms of Licence fee, there is a commitment to give ANY / ALL stations a proportion toward Irish production of suitable programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Morgans

As someone who wakes at 7 and with only 3 channels in my bedroom, I regularly watch the Ireland AM. I cant believe it is being labeled the best produced Irish program. I think everything about it looks cheap and to anyone familiar with how breakfast programs ideally should be developed, it is nothing short of a waste of time. I, in fact, in my 28th year have lately been turning over to Socky or Open House, as i find both more intellectually stimulating.

In the GMTV newshour, often topical guests are creating or adding to the previous days news are interviewed, and the news develops with the program. Not unlike Morning Ireland, i supporse. Andrew Gilligan's report was broadcasted at 6AM. TV3 - maybe by their location - arent attracting any worthwhile guests, (i'm surprised at how much is being invested in the prog) and while some (2 in particular) of the analysts are top class, it is generally just an iditic rehash of yesterday stories, with no reflection added, and passed off as current affairs. It is a sad state of affairs when this is classed as good television. Back to the radio for me.

The have a sky news style add with Alan cantwell and Claire Byrne about how successful their news is. I would have it on a par with 98fm or 104fm news. Fine in its place, but no reason to take themselves seriously. Most of the other prime time program are somewhat watcheable, but the general aura i feel about teh station, is one of a base, tacky, nature, centring around the quick buck. (Its a commercial station, nothing wrong with that) but not concerned on the production of quality television. Agenda the only possible program excluded. Where is 20/20 gone - a program which began with teh station but was left go after a season.

RTE have had many failings but at least they are trying with some success.

• Advertisement

"If you subtract the programming from TV3 that almost 100% of population can watch from UK, then TV3 would be about 2 to 3 hours a day tops"

Almost 100% of the population where did you get this figure, I think you'll find a lot of people still only have 4 channels if even that especially in rural parts of Ireland, and what about the people who just cant afford Cable or Sky should we discriminate them because we can afford these services, maybe they might like watching these program’s and they can’t get them any where else. Keep it up TV3 you rock…

over 70% get ITV now.

100% can get BBC without subscription (once off 200 Euro).

ITV may be FTA in 9months.

Why should spectrum, resources, money, advertising be wasted on a regional clone of a UK station.

Why did we bother becoming an independant Republic then?

No, taking the bigger picture Irish TV has turned into a disaster, and the most disasterous irrelevent part of it is TV3.

Is the sole value of TV3 that it is the same thing as UK TV on Chorus/NTL but cheaper for viewer?

As I said above a lot of people can't afford Cable or Sky, so they don’t know what’s on the UK channels TV3 offers them something different.

"Why did we bother becoming an independent Republic then?"

What’s this got to do with Television??
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Mr-X
    What’s this got to do with Television??
    :rolleyes:

good question. please keep this on topic please :)

There is not (IMO) much point in a TV channel that reflects mores and culture purely of a foriegn country. If TV3 was in Berkshire and had English presenters it would not be out of place.

Of course certain parts of Dublin *ARE* just like living in Britain (having lived in one such area for about a year, and both Great Britain, NI, Co. Clare and Middle East for significant periods I beleive I'm somewhat qualified to make a comparison).

Media is an important Cultural influence. Our "nationhood" and culture (both English speaking AND Irish speaking, also "Catholic" and "Protestant" and other newer influxes) are ABSOLUTELY central to judging the content of Irish TV.

The fact is MORE people can in theory get BBC than TV3 because they arn't on enough (or wern't) repeaters.

TV3 is NOT free on Satellite. BBC is.

TV3 is free on about 86% only of Terrestrial reception, other people don't get it. The very high proportion of viewers with Chorus, NTL or Sky Family pack don't use the Free off Air.

But *BECUASE* TV3 is the free local *IRISH* station, not the imported "pay TV" version of ITV, it should be an Irish Station. (I'm not talking about Language Gaelge). It is the *LEAST* Irish station the State has ever had. It is effectively simply "Irish Branding" of yet another "Granada Franchise"

A terribly wasted oppertunity for the newest TV channel. It does not fill one with good expectations for any future new Digital Platform Irish Channels.

Originally posted by Morgans
    ...Ireland AM. I cant believe it is being labeled the best produced Irish program.

No one said it was the Best Irish Produced Programme!

...In the GMTV newshour, often topical guests are creating or adding to the previous days news are interviewed, and the news develops with the program. Not unlike Morning Ireland, i supporse. Andrew Gilligan's report was broadcasted at 6AM. TV3 - maybe by their location - arent attracting any worthwhile guests, (i'm surprised at how much is being invested in the prog) and while some (2 in particular) of the analysts are top class, it is generally just an iditic rehash of yesterday stories, with no reflection added, and passed off as current affairs. It is a sad state of affairs when this is classed as good television. Back to the radio for me.

Ok so GMTV Use Guests from Previous days news, but....TV3 is just an iditic rehash of yesterdays stories...hmmm.... correct me please, but this is same thing friend. Tell ya what why dont TV3 send 10 crews out between 2am till 6am to make stories up for ya, will that be ok??

"I'M Suprised at how much is investted in the Programme" eh read the previous posts before makin sily comments, I Said earlier it costs very little to make the programme...sheeesh!!
    ...Where is 20/20 gone - a program which began with teh station but was left go after a season.

Was on for 3 years man, were ya asleep? It served its cause and was mainly bought in material apart for 1 section. Agenda took the Budget from it

"I'M Suprised at how much is investted in the Programme" eh read the previous posts before makin sily comments, I Said earlier it costs very little to make the programme...sheeesh!!

If there so cost effective with their morning show, which gets the highest amount of viewers for that time of day. Could they not be cost effective with there prime time output, and prehaps get the highest viewing figures for that time of day. Or perhaps you expect me to get up at 7 and watch that show.
    Was on for 3 years man, were ya asleep? It served its cause and was mainly bought in material apart for 1 section. Agenda took the Budget from it

Did agenda and 20/20 not run for a year together?
    Where there not internal probs at TV3 thus the reason for 20/20 being aked mid season?

Also I see Adgenda is now a TV3 production what happened the indo production company behind it?

If there so cost effective with their morning show, which gets the highest amount of viewers for that time of day. Could they not be cost effective with there prime time output, and prehaps get the highest viewing figures for that time of day. Or perhaps you expect me to get up at 7 and watch that show.

Jesus man, let the prime thing go!! As i said in a reply to you earlier in the forum, it costs little to make it, but youve just noticed it this time..hmmm.interestin:)Itll be alright in the end, i know the name of a good counseller if ya would like the name..think ya should man! Dont worry about gettin up at 7 either, its on till 10 i'm sure you can see it after 9.

Did agenda and 20/20 not run for a year together?
    Where there not internal probs at TV3 thus the reason for 20/20 being aked mid season?.

No they did not, and there was no problems mid season, the reason it was axed was cos the ratings were atrocious for the time and date it was on. Also there was too much american stories in it. Fair enough they show american progs on 3 but if ya wanna see american news too turn on NBC or CNN., and if they had of kept putting out the american stories, people like you would have had a field day about "Not enough irish" or " Blah Blah More Irish" or maybe "Too International not enuf irish..." Ya get my drift
    Also I see Adgenda is now a TV3 production what happened the indo production company behind it?

Jesus man, for a person who seems to know all about "Internal Probs" In TV3, its actually quite amazing how much you dont know. The production company called "Fastnet was run by a guy called John Kellegher. Hes now Film censor in ireland..ya know the guy who's name is on bottom of cinema screen with the classification :)

Originally posted by father_ted9t9
    , i know the name of a good counseller if ya would like the name..think ya should man! Dont worry about gettin up at 7 either, its on till 10 i'm sure you can see it after 9.
    For heavens sake,this is my second warning on the personal abuse, there will not be a third-cut it out please.
    You are doing a good job presenting your case without it thank you.

• Advertisement

Jesus Earthman, its a feckin forum,but its like being back in school! There is nothing Abusive in it, no bad language and its not threatining, you should relax too! Ban me if ya want, wont bother me, but thats the way i post!

Father Ted, I've no intentions of banning you if you stick to the topic and quit doing stuff like suggesting other posters need therapy.
    This is a civil forum and lets keep it that way.
    If you disagree with or don't like the post say so, and back up your argument but do not attack the poster.

:p

Look Ted

I have heard that Ireland AM cost little

I have heard you say that it gets the viewers for that time of day

Now FFS hear me when i say

I DONT CARE WHAT TV3 DO JUST AS LONG AS THE DO SOMETHING DURING PRIME TIME EVEN IF IT IS SMALL **** ETC ETC JUST AS LONG AS THEY DO IT.
    it costs little to make it

I had notice on several ocassion you just don't see what i am saying.

I DONT CARE WHAT TV3 DO JUST AS LONG AS THE DO SOMETHING DURING PRIME TIME EVEN IF IT IS SMALL **** ETC ETC JUST AS LONG AS THEY DO IT.
    ok elmo..tell me what are you tryin to say to do? :confused::confused: :rolleyes:

1. I would like to be proud of what TV3 has acheive however they have only acheived this on the back of ITV, there is nothing new or innovative to be proud of on TV3 its does not serve the Irish public well.

2. TV3 could produce Irish Prime Time TV if they wanted to. They don't.

3. I am not looking for expensive Prime Time TV from TV3, I am just looking for prime time TV from TV3. I dont think that this is a bad request, I would also like to see more Irish Prime Time TV on N2.

4. Even take a look at how well Eamonn Dunphy's show did, fine it didn't really to all that well but it was consistanly in the top twenty shows for TV3 and it nearly always beat Judge Judy and Malcome In The Middle and even Law And Order SVU. TV3 shouldn't have expected anymore then the amount of viewers Eamonn Dunphy got. Maybe if they hadn't put it on a friday night, prehaps had it in a stuido and prehaps if Eamonn Dunphy hadn't presented the show. Generally in realation to Eamonn and TV3 both where being far too big headed. (especially for this country). Up for the Match and The People of the year awards on RTE on 3 saturdays in a row had 400,000 viewers, RTE never get this amount of viewers on a Saturday night.

5. I have no problem with the amount for Foreign TV on TV3

a) I don't respect there attitude toward The EU's Television Without frontier Directive.
    b) I don't think that it is innovative that the insist on becoming ITV Eire (I complete dissapprove of RTE having EastEnders)

6. €50,000,000 advertising revenue for a cheap Morning show, well done TV3 go show RTE what your made of. Go on prove to use they shouldn't get the licence fee.

Now ted tell us something about TV3 we don't know because you have yet to show us all what you know about TV3 that we don't already know.

Your next post will prob be more of the same repetition, but then it just show how much you don't know about TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭I.J.

My own problem with TV3 is that they quit showing Miami Vice during the night after season 1 last year. I got hooked on that show. I never watched the channel except for that. If there happens to be any other Miami Vice fans, e-mail info@tv3.ie and ask then to return it. Its not in anybodys way so there should be no need for complaints. Better than another 30minute American commercial for kitchen knives.

(It probably will not be long until that classic show is turned into a Big budget Hollywood blockbuster too)

LOL @I.J i agree man the fools!!!,

But What are you trying to say elmo...please tell me!

You are an ignorant f uck ing bastard, with f uck all to say.

• Advertisement

You are an ignorant f uck ing bastard, with f uck all to say.

Thats nice, very nice, your true colours are showing now my friend. Well Done! Maybe you should grow up a little instead of using bad language on this forum. There are under18s who read these aswell. Earthman, im takin that as offensive! Please Change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement