Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new first for TV3

Options
  • 11-03-2004 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah you think I am going to praise them, YOU SO DON'T KNOW ME.

For the first time in the history of Irish TV TV3 will broadcast a little over an hour per day of Simultaniously Televisions Show with there parent company ITV.

So starting this Saturday right through to Friday and from ever more enjoy the delights of

Saturday 7-8 Saturday Night Takeaway (TV3/ITV)
    Sunday 7.30 - 8 Coronations Street (TV3/ITV)
    8-9 Heartbeat (TV3/ITV)
    Monday 7-7.30 Emmerdale (TV3/ITV)
    7.30 -8 Coronation Street (TV3/ITV)
    8.30 - 9 Coronation Street (TV3/ITV)
    Tuesday 7-7.30 Emmerdale (TV3/ITV)
    Wednesday 7-7.30 Emmerdale (TV3/ITV)
    9 - 10 Footballers Wifes (TV3/ITV)
    Thursday 7-7.30 Emmerdale (TV3/ITV)
    Friday 7-7.30 Emmerdale (TV3/ITV)

THIS EU TELEVISION WITHOUT FROUNTIERS DIRECTIVE IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY TV3. (WE ARE REQUIRED ONLY TO SHOW 25% EU PROGRAMMING WE SHOW 50% UK PROGRAMMING)

AND DON'T FORGET INNOVATIVE IRISH PROGRAMME FROM 7 TO 10 EACH MORNING.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So you don't like TV3 then? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i still dont see The Bill. TV3 pick the worst of ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

i still dont see The Bill. TV3 pick the worst of ITV

Grrr Grrr Grrr.

Oh how I think It is just the worst. But soon Mossy I feel that Your days of The Bill on ITV Eire will come. Grrr Grrr.

And then some more, what a pathic waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I would prefer watching the Bill than some of RTE's home produced programmes.

The Big Bow Wow - Hoew much licence fee maoney was spent on this?

Still, RTE has friends & ER.

The Big Bow Wow - Hoew much licence fee maoney was spent on this?

Have you seen Footballers' Wifes lately Cork, your not giving out about that are you.

Far worse then the Big Bow Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

We now get Ant and Dec at the same time as ITV every saturday. This weeks was hilariously out of sync for the first half. Gave up caring after the break though and looked at the stains in the carpet instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV3 AM is the only decent TV3 home produced show...

(Erm, is it the *ONLY* home produced show?)

And cheifly because our Public Service Broadcaster MANY YEARS after every other TV channel has a rolling breakfest news / magasine, still does nothing. At least no more repeats of "Open House" (Yuuch!)

Easy to be "best" with no competition.

Still TV3 AM *IS* a sterling effort given total lack of Irish programming otherwise!

TV3 AM is the only decent TV3 home produced show...

Can anyone tell me if Socky's Little Big Morning show on the Den is still getting more viewers then Ireland AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Elmo
    Have you seen Footballers' Wifes lately Cork, your not giving out about that are you.

Far worse then the Big Bow Wow.

Q: What's worse; a baseball bat to the kneecaps from Mr. RTE or from Mr. ITV/TV3?

A: Mr. RTE, because he has the cheek to demand you give him your baseball bat to do it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Can anyone tell me if Socky's Little Big Morning show on the Den is still getting more viewers then Ireland AM?

Ha.Ha.......hold on...Ha very funnyy! Actually youll be quite suprised to know that TV3's IrelandAM actually has higher viewer ratings than EVERY OTHER CHANNEL AT THAT TIME IN THE MORNING! So get your Facts straight Elmo, also in relation to the big bow wow being not being worse than Footballerrs Wives!! HAAHAHAHAA!!! i could leave it at that but at least the Drugged, Sexed, Life is some Reality in footballers wives as opposed to the Drugged, Sexed, Life that is being shown in Big Bow Wow!

Granada have a huge share in TV3 therfore TV3 are going to show their Programmes. If you can come up with a way of funding Irish home made programmes without the millions that RTE Get, Please, Please let us know. If Not Sit Quiet and Take what your given...Its FREE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TV3 has maybe only 80% coverage.

Nearly Everyone can get it on Satellite. But you have to pay Sky a Family Pack or higher, so TV3 is NOT free for perhaps up to 20%.

To a lesser extent this is true for TG4, and lesser again for RTE1 and NET2.

I get over 800 NON Ireland TV channels and over 700 Radio channels (excluudes Today FM) FREE, on satellite, no card, no piracy, no subscription. Just pay the TV licence and the ESB.

Originally posted by LurkingIcon
    TV3 has maybe only 80% coverage.

Nearly Everyone can get it on Satellite. But you have to pay Sky a Family Pack or higher, so TV3 is NOT free for perhaps up to 20%.

TV3 actually has 98%coverage and when worked out that a percentage of the remaining 2 percent doesnt actually watch tv3, it nearly has 100% Viewership availability. Therefore It Is Free.

Ha.Ha.......hold on...Ha very funnyy! Actually youll be quite suprised to know that TV3's IrelandAM actually has higher viewer ratings than EVERY OTHER CHANNEL AT THAT TIME IN THE MORNING! So get your Facts straight Elmo,

Eh ... Excuse Me .... Ted .....

But please reread my post

See its a question. I think you will find that at one stage Socky's little big morning show was doing better then Ireland AM.

Does anyone know if it still is? that's my question can you answer that.
    Q: What's worse; a baseball bat to the kneecaps from Mr. RTE or from Mr. ITV/TV3?

A: At least RTE paid for some people in this country to bat me in the kneecaps.
    If you can come up with a way of funding Irish home made programmes without the millions that RTE Get, Please, Please let us know. If Not Sit Quiet and
    Take what your given...Its FREE!

Well.... Ted .... at moment the most popular programme on the television is Ireland AM (An Irish Programme) what would it be like if TV3 had the most popular Irish Programme on during Prime Time. Now while I don't think TV3 is much use I do beleive that if they were to invest the kind of money the do into Ireland AM as there Prime Time Schedule they might just get viewers outside of Granada Productions.

TV3 is a joke if the only thing the can do is kick RTE in the butt during the morning, who the **** gets up to watch the telly at that time (50,000 people maybe, but then as you point out I don't have the facts but maybe someone could answer me this....

Would TV3 not prefer a big share of the audience during prime time when there are 1.4 million viewers watching, rather then having the No. 1 morning show? (If you invest you get return TV3 got return with the Morning show and well done to them for doing that, but it is nothing special and doesn't make anyone take very much notice of them)

Oh and by the way Ted have you see TG4 lately.

They make plenty of TV on only 30,000,000 euro per year plus a tiny bit of advertising. TV3 have two of the biggest media companies behind them plus a 15% audience share and all they can do is make a **** morning show

Oh and by the way ted, you are more likely to be employed to do something in the TV industry for TG4 then TV3.

So ted I dislike TV3 as much as RTE, they both need a good kick up the arse.

As do

The BCI
    ComReg
    And the Minister.

Sorry to rant, but its my right.

See its a question. I think you will find that at one stage Socky's little big morning show was doing better then Ireland AM.

Maybe once when they were starting off but not since, and i think a totel of 50.000 under 12s doesnt really count for much, (Just for your info...its not in TV3's Target Audience bracket:) )

Does anyone know if it still is? that's my question can you answer that.
    [/QUOTE

as from previous post, No is your answer :)

I Understand your point about the Granada Programmes, but when Im A Celeb Brought in HIGHEST EVER VIEWER RATINGS for TV3, i cant hear them complainiing upstairs!!

TV3 is a joke if the only thing the can do is kick RTE in the butt during the morning, who the **** gets up to watch the telly at that time (50,000 people maybe, but then as you point out I don't have the facts but maybe someone could answer me this....
    [/QUOTE

Highest ever ratings last year 197,000. Its amazing that this amount actually get up to watch it :)

Would TV3 not prefer a big share of the audience during prime time when there are 1.4 million viewers watching, rather then having the No. 1 morning show? (If you invest you get return TV3 got return with the Morning show and well done to them for doing that, but it is nothing special and doesn't make anyone take very much notice of them)....
    [/QUOTE

They didnt invest that much in the morning programme and it brings in the viewers, unfortunatley As i have pointed out, they DONT GET ANY LIcense money...Any great ideas oh mighty one.??

They make plenty of TV on only 30,000,000 euro per year plus a tiny bit of advertising.
    [/QUOTE

30.000.000 is a lot of money elmo, i would say if tv3 had that they would be very happy :) oh and the tiny bit of advertising of course
    Oh and by the way ted, you are more likely to be employed to do something in the TV industry for TG4 then TV3. [/QUOTE

Once again your repeating yourself,...Remember 30.000.000...i hope they employin people!!!

I Look forward to your repetative posts..

Originally posted by father_ted9t9

They didnt invest that much in the morning programme and it brings in the viewers, unfortunatley As i have pointed out, they DONT GET ANY LIcense money...Any great ideas oh mighty one.??

I Look forward to your repetative posts..

Actually a small proportion of the current higher tv licence is now available to tv 3 and commercial radio stations for public service broadcasting should they wish to avail of it.

I'm watching this thread by the way, the exchanges so far have been interesting, but a word of warning keep it civil , those last few comments are borderline Ted,we like to encourage the discussion here not flaming ( ie provoking other posters into a heated argument ) :)

Originally posted by Earthman
    Actually a small proportion of the current higher tv licence is now available to tv 3 and commercial radio stations for public service broadcasting should they wish to avail of it.

I'm watching this thread by the way, the exchanges so far have been interesting, but a word of warning keep it civil , those last few comments are borderline Ted,we like to encourage the discussion here not flaming ( ie provoking other posters into a heated argument ) :)

firstly, the small amount is miniscule, as im sure you know, and that money does go into ireland am, agenda, sports tonight, news and go racing. And its no where close to even TG4's 30.000.000

as for the flaming, im not the only one you should be bringing this to the attention of, as im sure you see. ill answer to silly comments with silly answers

Originally posted by father_ted9t9
    firstly, the small amount is miniscule, as im sure you know, and that money does go into ireland am, agenda, sports tonight, news and go racing. And its no where close to even TG4's 30.000.000
    I merely corrected you there on your mistaken assertion that TV3 gets no licence funding.
    I'm not passing judgement on the points you are making.
    as for the flaming, im not the only one you should be bringing this to the attention of, as im sure you see. ill answer to silly comments with silly answers
    Well I have been reading this thread and so far you are the only poster on it who has started making personal jibes against another poster.
    You are adequately defending tv3 here and Elmo is putting up reasonable retorts and not flames.
    Lets keep it that way shall we.

"You are adequately defending tv3 here and Elmo is putting up reasonable retorts "

reasonable retorts!!!!!! Ha

I am making no personal jibes at elmo, just at some of his laughable un researched comments

In the immortal words of some philosopher guy, Favouritism is alive and well, Bit like our beloved RTE. :)

father ted posts:36

Elmo posts:1376
    :)

Where am I showing favouritism here?
    Elmo hasn't jibed and you have, I've drawn a line in the sand.
    Nobody including Elmo is expected to cross that line.

Those that read the thread are well able to make up their minds as regards who is putting up the better arguments in the discussion.
    Theres no need whatsoever to reinforce anything with personal jibes.

Let me remind you..
    Any great ideas oh mighty one.??
    Thats a personal jibe by you at Elmo which is not acceptable.
    Now rather than continuing in this vein , perhaps you could go back to the topic at hand ie , the subject of this thread.

As your last on topic reply directly engages Elmo, we can await his reply or indeed that of anyone else who wishes to continue the discussion.

Fair Enough, But it has come to the point where i am sick of people putting down TV3 for any excuse possible. TV3 does not recieve a very substantial amount of money from the government, nothing like what RTE and TG4 get but people do not seem to understand this, and they continue on with repetative posts like...
    Why doesnt TV3 put more money into other programmes?What is the reason for the similarities in programming between tv3 and ITV?
    Why doesnt Tv3 produce more irish programming, there are loads of companies out the to make them...etc etc etc.

I have answered these questions numerous times, on this forum and other threads in this Forum. When it gets to a point that i have answered a question a number of times, all i can really say then is "Tell Us What is the solution then" and when people dont reply with answers but similar questions again like...

Why doesnt TV3 put more money into other programmes?What is the reason for the similarities in programming between tv3 and ITV?
    Why doesnt Tv3 produce more irish programming, there are loads of companies out the to make them...etc etc etc.

Then i get personal to see what they have to say. I dont make it my point to go and "Target out certain members". I Agree with a lot of Elmos comments about the whole ITV Thing. But In The end and its all about the Money man, and theres none there to play with. My question to all of you is what to do?? answers would be great, not just the same rubbish questions over and over.

thanks

• Advertisement

Edit Sorry Change Of Mind

1. Generally RTE is put down more so then TV3, I like to give the balance as I am discussed at TV3. The promoters of this venture said all of the things that we are still saying about RTE 10 years ago, in the last 5 TV3 has done nothing to change Irish Television, no that has been left to TG4.

2. Granada and Canwest are two of the biggest media companies in the world, the have invested very little of their time into making TV3 what it could be because they are looking for the quick buck and lets face Ireland is the quick buck to many UK broadcasters. ie Sky, MTV, Nick, C4, E4 and UTV.

3. TV3 have played into the hands of Sky by buying the rights as live.

4. TV3 constantly gives out about the TV licence and where it puts RTE in the market place. TV3 now have 15% of the total market and they have yet to change, the are becoming more and more like a region of ITV.

5. HOW SHOULD THEY GO ABOUT IT: -

a. Look at TG4 and the type of programming it has made, not only the type but the way in which the are making the programmes.
    b. TV3 cannot hide behind the TG4 fund, why because TG4 have to use this money to make as much TV as possible. With 30mill TG4 have been able to provide Programming and lots of it. Ros Na Run is made on only 5,000,000 euro (a good bit of their budget) this is tiny when it comes to drama (Just above 70,000 euro per episode), TV3 you have to start somewhere. Eamon Dunphy (How much was he paid) was to dear for a small company there are other people (unknowns) who would happily do that job on Saturday nights and give you 400,000 viewers.
    c. Just provide an alternative.

In conclusion if TV3 had made prime time (Cosuil le TG4) from the beginning it would now be No. 1 and would have Kick RTE's ass.

30,000,000 is a drop in the water when it comes to making TV.

197,000 was the highest for Ireland AM, how come I never seen it listed in the Top Twenty shows on TV3. There No. 20 is around 150,000 maybe only 100,000. Only resently did they get 200,000 during the week of Im a Celeb.

But Ted you proved my point, If TV3 put money into Irish TV during Prime Time then they would have a even bigger share and I wouldn't be giving out.

It was actually 397,000 for the Celeb final Elmo:)

It was actually 397,000 for the Celeb final Elmo

ah

650,000 OR AROUND IS THE HIGHEST Coro St gets

Coro St is usually around 450,000 viewers.

eh no it was on this year!

Sorry Ted but the PR news release are very very over the top on TV3 proganda.

Funny I thought that the celeb Jungle had more viewers then that
    Highest ever ratings last year 197,000. Its amazing that this amount actually get up to watch it
    eh no it was on this year!

Well Why didn't you say that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

Personally I think TV3 is the best we have of the 4 stations then Net2, Rte1 and TG4 Haha they show the odd good film in fairness. If TV3 did get a bigger cut in the licence fee RTE wouldn’t stand a chance…

With 30mill TG4 have been able to provide Programming and lots of it. Ros Na Run is made on only 5,000,000 euro (a good bit of their budget) this is tiny when it comes to drama (Just above 70,000 euro per episode), TV3 you have to start somewhere. Eamon Dunphy (How much was he paid) was to dear for a small company there are other people (unknowns) who would happily do that job on Saturday nights and give you 400,000 viewers.

Damn right they provide lots of programming, THEY HAVE 30 million man!! THIRTY MILLION Is a lot of money when it comes down to it, and i dont know where you are getting your idea that its not alot, or if you have ever bugeted a low budget programme.

70,000 per episode of Ros Na Run..HAHA Are ya joking me man! They now film for 5months a year for the whole years episodes and some of the Employees are soo underpaid that there was nearly strikes there over the past year, also the Employees including on screen talent HAVE SECOND JOBS, one of them(Guy from Shop) Is a road sweeper, and they were in so much financial difficulty this year that they have combined with s4c in Wales to co produce the programme, and introduce some welsh characters in to it!!! Dont know where youa re getting this info from man, but youve been mislead!

Dunphy was scrapped after a number of weeks because of the Ratings and the advertisers during the breaks dropping. THEY PULLED IT COS IT WAS COSTING TOO MUCH AND NOT MAKIN REVENUE! If they were to throw an unknown as you say "In" It would be very hard to get viewers or advertisers interested, unless there was a niche..Any ideas?
    Look at TG4 and the type of programming it has made, not only the type but the way in which the are making the programmes

They make very little programming apart from Ros Na Run, Cleamhneas(Blind Date), Pop TG4 and a variety of (cheap) documentarys which are only re dubed to irish. Suil Eile indeed

Finally TG4 even in prime time get nowhere near the amount of viewers that every other station(Including TV3)gets so your point about them is nonense

Once again though you have failed tremendously to provide a solution to my original questions, but have suceeded in repeating yourself again..well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

Elmo,
    You havent got a clue in fairness unless you work in the industry, I know peope that have worked on Ros Na Run and the money is REALLY bad!!!!

• Advertisement

Dunphy was scrapped after a number of weeks because of the Ratings and the advertisers during the breaks dropping. THEY PULLED IT COS IT WAS COSTING TOO MUCH AND NOT MAKIN REVENUE! If they were to throw an unknown as you say "In" It would be very hard to get viewers or advertisers interested, unless there was a niche..Any ideas?

So why didn't TV just go with new talent. After all they didn't get the viewers for Dunphy. They would have just aked the show after 13 weeks anyway.
    They make very little programming apart from Ros Na Run, Cleamhneas(Blind Date), Pop TG4 and a variety of (cheap) documentarys which are only re dubed to irish.

Amu....
    Fir Agus mna Na Heireann
    An Arts Programme
    7 La
    Ardan
    Cogar
    GAA Beo
    Rugbi Beo
    Ard San Aer
    Dubbing for Childrens Programming (Cula 4)
    Short Films
    Etc. Etc.

I am just point out how I fell about TV3 and how they have had a chance to change Irish TV and they haven't done that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement