Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz tonight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Hahaha Kratta...I'm afraid it was Late Night Poker who thought me everything I know and not forgeting my good friend the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

thats it, im not your freind anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The annoying thing about these guys is that they are worse than noobs. They dont seem to understand the game at all.
    Two classics last night.

1. Flop 4 4 5 - Guy goes all-in. Called by player x we'll say. Cards over. Bettor has 6 7 (str8 draw), fair enough. Caller has 7 2. Last 2 cards 5 2 I think. Split pot on 2 pair with a 7 each. Absolutely unbelievable.
    2. My mate got kocked out when he went all-in with AQs for 10000 when blinds were 800 - caled by big blind who has......wait for it 10 3 o. Hits a pair of 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

So did any of you win a ticket? tsk tsk

A friend of mine was there and came 6th with 5 getting tickets. Tallish guy with dark hair. He's a newish player and will play a lot and bet a bit waiting for cards. So if anybody has any stories on him they would be appreciated as he is in need of a decent slagging at the moment. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by gerire
    So did any of you win a ticket? tsk tsk

A friend of mine was there and came 6th with 5 getting tickets. Tallish guy with dark hair. He's a newish player and will play a lot and bet a bit waiting for cards. So if anybody has any stories on him they would be appreciated as he is in need of a decent slagging at the moment. :D

It was actually 4 tickets for the last Thursday of the month €250 game, plus 5th place getting a ticket to any Monday night €100 game.

I think I was the only boards person to make the final table, but as I was not around very long (went out first hand, see my first post in this thread) I can't comment on how anyone else played. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickste

First time on boards actually replying but have been reading the poker column for some time.

On thursday had spent 30 euro on rebuys in the first half hour.another ten for the top up and about a half hour after the freeze out had 800 when the big blind was 800. looked doom and gloom when i recieved 9,8 off suit. Force3d to go all in and guy beside me throws up pocket aces , couple of other callers with a,k j,j etc.
    Flop comes and recieve two nines. disbelief around the table as they held on and i was back in the game. Half an hour later had 46,000 in chips and realised i was seond in terms of chips only to that guy who hit everything all night that others were talking about. When final table came knew i didn't have to play and let a few others knock each other out. got a ticket and was delighted.

One question though during the final game i was the small blind at 1000-2000. had aj suited and decided to play. threw in my other 1000 when there was no raises but the dealer who wasn't a fitz dealer( but was a decent bloke) picked up my cards from behind the line. I was shocked and explained and pointed to my chips that i called. Viv explained to me that it was a 'dead hand'! .f that that dead hand would of won when the flop and turn came down. I was ready to explode but tried to keep calm as i knew that if i got pi**ed off i would start betting stupidely. Can anyone explain the dead hand rule and what would u of done in my position or is there any come back at all?:cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its the dealers error that he picked up your cards and deadened them (meaning, they touched other cards).

However you should put your cards behind your chips (or better still put a chip on your cards or a lucky trinket or something) so that the dealer wont take your cards.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by mickste
    One question though during the final game i was the small blind at 1000-2000. had aj suited and decided to play. threw in my other 1000 when there was no raises but the dealer who wasn't a fitz dealer( but was a decent bloke) picked up my cards from behind the line. I was shocked and explained and pointed to my chips that i called. Viv explained to me that it was a 'dead hand'! .f that that dead hand would of won when the flop and turn came down. I was ready to explode but tried to keep calm as i knew that if i got pi**ed off i would start betting stupidely. Can anyone explain the dead hand rule and what would u of done in my position or is there any come back at all?:cool:
    EDIT: Just realised that it was dealer error instead of anything you did. Sometimes you'll be allowed to take back your hand (especially pre-freezeout) if your cards were easily identifiable and nobody had any objections, just out of the interests of fairness.
    But Dev's correct, technically if any cards touch the muck then they are considered 'dead'.
    If you ever have any problems though at the table, don't be afraid to call Luke the floor manager. He's always happy to explain through any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have been at a table where this happened and Luke was called. The result- The dealer made a mistake and that is sad. If you don't have something on your cards too bad. It sucks but thems the rules.

MrP

i'll remember my lucky charms next time then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i'll remember my lucky charms next time then.

I am guilty of not covering my cards myself. I have thought about it but have decided against it on the grounds that I think there is a greater risk from me developing a tell than from losing good cards from a dealers mistake.

MrP

Originally posted by MrPudding
    I have been at a table where this happened and Luke was called. The result- The dealer made a mistake and that is sad. If you don't have something on your cards too bad. It sucks but thems the rules.
    MrP
    Could you imagine something like this happened if it was a crucial stage in a tournament, if you were all-in at the final table for a ticket, or even worse at the final table in the €250 game, and a dealer error cost you money!

good point mr pudding, but you're tell is not playing anything worse than a,10!
    seriously though u are right if u do start placing charms or chips or whatever then u are giving a greater chance of a tell away.

some players do have tells and a few boards people do too that i have noticed.
    That gut on thursday that hit everything was too unrpedictable as tom saw. he was just as calm going all in with a two threes as he was with a full house. He called nearly everything though even on the final table, but fair play to him his strategy worked.

Davey devil and myself have numerous arguements over this sort of play and i agree in the long run u will get burnt but if u are playing with new people for the first time playing a bit irrationally will give u an edge. I deliberately showed some crap hands that i went all in with so as to lure people later on after the freezout. this can be risky but i feel it can give u a good edge against the better players later on .

Any musings?? anyone??

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yer man was a total newb and admitted it readily (he kept apologising to me during the night). Nice bloke but his strategy seemed to be to see most flops and get lucky and then play passively. Both the flaw in his logic and the key to his success that night was his sheer, ungodly, unbelievable luck! He hit so many flops he was raking it in. I thought he'd have exited once the blinds began to bite but apparently not! Did he win a ticket in the end?? In some ways I hope he did... he was Twoflower the Tourist at the poker table that night... nice bloke so I think it would be funny to see him at the 270 game!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Davey devil and myself have numerous arguements over this sort of play and i agree in the long run u will get burnt but if u are playing with new people for the first time playing a bit irrationally will give u an edge. I deliberately showed some crap hands that i went all in with so as to lure people later on after the freezout. this can be risky but i feel it can give u a good edge against the better players later on .

Any musings?? anyone??

I'm kinda curious about this myself ... the two nights I've gone to the Fitzwilliam I played ultra-tight (Mr-Pudding style ;)) and the second I'd bet anything at all when we had gone through 15 hands, I'd have most of the people folding immediately. At the same time, I did manage to last a lot longer than most of them without having to buy-in .... so what is the best strategy? Do you have to purposely lose a couple of hands and show bad cards to be able to draw more money out of people later on?

defo. drawing people in is part of it. in the fitz playing with new people and especially the older ones, playing irrationally irritates them. next time they are thinking about what u have they are'nt able to read u as good.

After a while though this play will get u in big trouble!

:ninja:

I think there's 2 ways to play the fitz on a thursday.
    1) Your normal tight poker game. Bet the good pocket cards, see flops with marginal hands if its cheap, if you flop a monster (house, flush, nut straight) play it for value, don't be afraid of someone going all in, pre-freezeout the may be trying to bully so if you've got a decent hand think about calling.

If you play this way you will get a tight table image, which you can use to semi-bluff, steal blinds, do a big 72offsuit bluff, or at least scare people off pots and get heads up with someone.

2) Channel the Norman! Bring €50 in your pocket and be prepared to blow it prefreezeout. You've a chance of building a monster stack that'll set you up in getting to the last table. If you think you're ahead on the flop, push all-in. If you think someone is weak, pus all-in and win the hand by them folding or by eventually getting the best hand.
    If you get a decent big stack try stealing the blinds if you're in late position.

Of course after the freezeout you should go back to playing sensible poker. If you watch Norman or any of the "crazy players" they switch to a much tighter game late on, but they still retain their loose image and can lure people into calling when they have a big hand.

All imho.

Advertisement