Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitz tonight

Options
  • 11-03-2004 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Anyone going tonight? Henry Gratten at 8ish?

MrP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Hopefully I'll be able to show up to meet some of you guys before Saturday's game - Will depend on work though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Anyone going to Fireworks for 6-6:30?

Would like to meet up with you before Saturday but won't be able to make it to the Fitz unfortunately. I've a previous commitment for later.

Might be able to make the Henry Grattan for a while if nobody fancies a game of pool..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I should be in the Henry G by 8pm or so, see you guys there

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Addicted as I am, I'm in. Was supposed to be going to my godchilds school's table quiz in Swords but its cancelled due to poor weather.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm going to be different and go as well. I'll be in the Barney Murphys from 8.30 so cyas in the Fitz Gratten heads. Any difficulty with numbers recently? Luke had mentioned limiting the tourney to 5 tables or something.

• Advertisement

Best get into the fitz by 9 at the latest to sign up in that case.
    I think Luke had a problem with people coming late in the past few weeks. I don't mean people coming before the "last 3 hands for buy-ins", I mean people arriving after play has started to join in for free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah we're planning on registering about 8.30 and going across the road for a pint or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

ok, so is anyone going to fireworks or are you all meeting in grattans?

How will I know you? Do I just look for the obvious troublemakers :>

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm gonna meet in the Grattan because its too foul a night to head down to the Fireworks. I'll be wearing a deep red v-neck "Kickers" jumper and we'll be talking about cards :)

DeV.

So anyone win a ticket?

I was knocked out right after the freezeout - Went all in with middle pair on the flop but got knocked out to that same middle pair with a better kicker. Though I did win €25 on roulette which made the night worthwhile :)

• Advertisement

Well I finished about 12th last night, I got knocked out just before the last table formed. No rebuys thankfully this week.

Early on I got shunted off to the very corner table, the little round one away from all the others, with Chris pudding, that big american guy (who apparently is from Kerry), Norman, and a few other guys.

There was one poor n00b who didn't have a clue and came to the table with a monster stack. We took it in turns to clean him out, he didn't like missing flops, myself and the american/kerry guy were at least a bit apologetic once we realised he was an ubern00b, but Norman just went after him all guns blazing.

After the freezeout, I got pocket bullets, I raised to 2000, norman went all in and I couldn't get my chips in fast enough.
    he had AK, me AA, and he got no help from nowhere.
    Moved tables then, got few decent pockets that allowed me to overbet the flop and steal the pot.
    Then went on a bad run and wasn't getting anything but marginals, J-9, K-7, 3-3
    my chips got blinded away.

I did however do my first bluff ever in the Fitz!
    the flop and turn were all clubs, I had no clubs, no pair, no straight possibilites, I went all in for about 7000, Samson (I think!) had bet the flop so I put him on top or middle pair, but he folded after a long think. woo!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

congrats on your 1000th post

Hyzepher

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by lafortezza
    I did however do my first bluff ever in the Fitz!
    the flop and turn were all clubs, I had no clubs, no pair, no straight possibilites, I went all in for about 7000, Samson (I think!) had bet the flop so I put him on top or middle pair, but he folded after a long think. woo!

I'll have to remember that one. ;)

As for my night, well, I had a few lucky escapes but managed to get to the final table with a playable stack (about 20,000).
    But then I went and completely fucked up (again):
    First hand, I was dealt a pair of jacks, and as the flop was about to come the dealer spilled some of the cards from the bottom of the deck (amongst which were an ace, a king and a queen), Luke was called over and decided that as the cards were from the bottom of the deck we would play the hand. I was suprised at this but I got some good information.
    Flop comes Qxx and I raised 5,000 with two callers, one of whom seem to be a bit inexperienced; turn brought a two, so I raised again, one pass and one call. River cars was another two so I reckoned (correctly) that he was just on top pair (I felt it unlikely he could have pocket queens as one was on the board and one was in the muck).
    I went all in, trying to bully him off the pot, praying he wouldn't call. But, after a long think he did, turning over KQ giving him queens and twos, which beat my jacks and twos.
    Out I went, with my head hung in shame.

I really need to control my insane urges.

Originally posted by Samson
    one of whom seem to be a bit inexperienced;
    The two guys either side of me, to Samsons left, seemed very inexperienced. One of them was seeing every single flop almost, was trying to muck his cards when he was big blind with no raises on the table. Both of them tended to raise for the amount of the big blind, and one guy never really knew if he had won or not when the cards were turned over!
    I think the term loose passive applied!

Although both of them still did better than I did :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Lafortezza: was trying to muck his cards when he was big blind with no raises on the table

Yep, I've a feeling that may have been me (or at least I'm certainly one of those noobs!).. :p
    Blue-shirt, seat 9... What seat were you in?

Made some real blunders, I must confess! Went out in around 10th place, but purely down to the luck of the cards... No re-buys, one top-up...

Still, was a very enjoyable introduction to tournaments (with real people).. Went home with an extra €60 in my pocket from the blackjack table..

Any tells for me? :D

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    Yep, I've a feeling that may have been me (or at least I'm certainly one of those noobs!).. :p
    Blue-shirt, seat 9... What seat were you in?
    Made some real blunders, I must confess! Went out in around 10th place, but purely down to the luck of the cards... No re-buys, one top-up...
    Still, was a very enjoyable introduction to tournaments (with real people).. Went home with an extra €60 in my pocket from the blackjack table..
    Any tells for me? :D
    I was seat 8, just to your right. Sorry! Didn't mean to insult you, just a bit annoyed with myself that I didn't do better myself after a good start!
    You did pretty damn well for your first time, when I was at that table there was some good players at the end opposite us. Vivian (old guy with beard) is about as unpredictable as Norman, if not so all-in crazy. There was one or two cash players there too.

Must remember to watch what I type in future, the Fitz is filled with Boards people!! :)

Lafortezza: Sorry! Didn't mean to insult you.

You didn't! I was wearing my noobie badge with pride, and advertising the fact at every possible opportunity :D .
    Biggest blunder of the night (there were a few): Was on big blind, which had just gone up to 800 (I think), looked around the table, and saw a few pinks, and for some reason, was convinced that there had been a raise in to me.. Holding 43o, tried to dump the hand, but the dealer (kind-heart!) advised me not too, as I was fully paid up....

Of course, to Samson's detriment (sorry!), the flop came up 675, to make a straight..
    D'oh!
    One of them was seeing every single flop almost, was trying to muck his cards when he was big blind with no raises on the table. Both of them tended to raise for the amount of the big blind, and one guy never really knew if he had won or not when the cards were turned over!

So, was that me? :(

So, was that me? :(
    Nope, different guy, but since everyone who was in the Fitz last night is reading this I'm not saying any more. :ninja:

Krusty_Clown... you _are_ the old skool quake player I know, right? (just wondering if I'm mistaking you for someone else).

I had a table full of n00bs. Nice guys but in the first 25 minutes of the 10/25 blinds, we got 5 maybe 6 hands played.

I played KQ for 200 and then raised big when the flop came Qjx, guy called me and ended up he had AJ and pulled an Ace on the river with us both in. That was the first hand. Rebuy! The second hand brought me JJ and I bet about 400. 77 hit a 7 on the 873 flop and it was rebuy time again. Then I started to play better (and get better cards) until I went in with AQ and hit Q22 which I like but end up getting creamed by a total n00b with 52d. I asked him why he'd played and he said "but their of-suit!". :rolleyes:
    That guy couldnt stop hitting things all night and was very honest about his skills. Nice bloke, very green but omg was he lucky! :):)

When they formed two tables I was down to 2000 and made a decent stab at a stand on K10d (partly trying to steal the blinds) but came to nothing. I figured I'd either steal, hit lucky and double through or at least I'd be home in time to watch the finals of Late Night Poker (fnckin classic it was too!).

DeV.

I played a good bit of Quake online years ago, but their was another Irish guy using the same nick, so I've a feeling that it was more likely him..

Was the 52d guy bald? Just wondering...

• Advertisement

Was the 52d guy bald? Just wondering...
    Was that the tall bald guy who was asked to stop smoking?

Nah.. I'm thinking of a different bald guy... Doesn't smoke...
    Doesn't play Texas Hold'em either. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Of course, to Samson's detriment (sorry!), the flop came up 675, to make a straight..
    D'oh!

I remember thinking I was a cert for the pot after you went to fold.
    Can you remember what I had, I can't actually remember myself?*
    :dunno:

These are the things that make the game such fun though.

*I know I had a good pair (kings/queens?), but did I hit a third?

I think if youd hit a third, there would have been alot more money in the pot, right?
    (Of course, that might be giving me credit for skills that I definitely didn't possess on the night!)

Krusty, did you play for nD (and go to Uni. Limerick)?

The 52d guy was short and a bit timid.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

The 52d guy was short and a bit timid.

DeV.

That was the same guy who knocked me out right after he took a huge chunk of your stack with his 3 twos :)

Thats right, he couldnt miss all night. I was talking to him at the second last table after he lost on J5 and I told him I probably wouldnt have played J5 in the first place. I explain why (cos he was surprised) and he nods and agrees politely etc...

Very next hand he loses again. J5 again! I look at him and he looks at me kinda sheepishly and says "I know, I just like it!"

DeV.

DeVore: Krusty, did you play for nD (and go to Uni. Limerick)?
    Nope. Not I.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I know I should have more patience with the n00bs but that sort of play (J,5) really pisses me off. These guys might do well with a bit of luck but in the long run they will never succeed playing that sort of ****e. Glad I wasn't in there last night cause I hate when sum fecker keeps hitting long odds shots. I did the same thing the other week as you DeV(giving advice).

The player to my right was picking up his hands and I could clearly see what he was holding. So I said to him that I could see his hand and advised him to keep his cards on the table. Very next hand he was doing it again - are these people stupid:confused:

Anyway he was out soon after no suprises there. Maybe these guys should have to pass some sort of test before they are allowed play - actually no, let them play and we'll take all there chips.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

you too were a noob at some stage davey..... until i thought you everything you know

the noobs will learn soon enough!

Advertisement