Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one thing that should NEVER have been in VOY

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It was quite funny when thwe irish leader guy wanted a drink with more "bite" and then he tried a klingon drink (was it bloodwine)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Exactly, or don't bother going to Warp 10, just Warp 9.99999999 or something. Besides it should take infinite energy to achieve Warp 10. The episode made no sense.

well going by todays physics it should take infinite energy to accelerate something to the speed of light which star trek smashs routinely by warping space or whatever, so with regards to them breaking a supposedly unbreakable barrier sure we're always trying to do that, didn't people think we couldn't break the sound barrier before.

Ithink the cencept of folding space to achive faster that light rpopulation is more plausable than simply having the power to move faster than the speed of light in a warp core.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The warp core counteracts the increase in mass due to relativity.

They also used to concept in a non faster-than-light travel sense in a TNG episode where they have to tow a huge asteroid, and in the first DS9 where they use the warp field to reduce the mass of the space ship so thrusters would have more effect.

reducing the mass is irrelevant though it still takes infinite energy to accelerate even some of the smallest pieces of matter to light speed such an electron on what not, my point is anyway if your willing to believe in the first place barriers can be broken i don't see why you can't think they could go through warp 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

From the EU and series, I'm of the impression, that warp 10 is actually the unachievable barrier.

Simply put, you can go the smallest decimel of 9 (i.e 9.9999999 ad infinatum) but to reach warp 10, infinite speed, where you exist simultaneously in every point in the universe, requires infinite energy. This is impossible. There cannot be infinite energy.

Transwarp is obviously the way around this, the amount of energy needed to get transwarp speeds with normal warp propulsion is astronomical, so obviously transwarp has it's own scale with a different energy/speed. Unfortunately theres no mention of any facts about transwarp other than it's fast, and uses corridors.

With about 50 omega particles it would in therey be enough to acelerate a ship to warp 10.

Originally posted by Kevok
    From the EU and series, I'm of the impression, that warp 10 is actually the unachievable barrier.

Simply put, you can go the smallest decimel of 9 (i.e 9.9999999 ad infinatum) but to reach warp 10, infinite speed, where you exist simultaneously in every point in the universe, requires infinite energy. This is impossible. There cannot be infinite energy.

its completely analogous then to the current theory of special rel. where you can accelerate particles to 0.999999 whatever times c. i see your point then about it being ridculous for them to get to warp 10 but its still a nice idea.

50omega particles no its still not infinite energy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Warp drive works by Passing high energy warp plasma though the warp feild coils in the naccels creating a warp bubble in which the ship travels outside normal space time (Ie the ship isnt traveling at warp space itself is).

And im sure someday the fed will be able to break warp 10.......its just so unbleavable that 1 small ship could do what the whole fed couldnt in 2 weeks

Bah warp 10.
    Transwarp and artffical worm holes are the way to go

• Advertisement

They gave up on quantum slipstream pretty quickly. I mean they could have done a shuttle bus service to get everyone home using the Delta Flyer.

Like that bit in the simpsons:

Marge: "How are we going to get maggie out of the bathroom?"
    Homer: "I'll try opening the lock with this coathanger"
    Homer: "Didn't work, now what are we going to do?"
    Lisa: "I just got her out"
    Marge: "How?"
    Lisa: "I tried the coathanger again, I can't understand why we only try ideas once".

Sums it all up really :)

I dont remember that episode, odd not like me to miss them. Now im scared

Yes the slipstream although it dosent work over long distences it could still shorten trips from one side of the federation to another. Then the hull is so damaged from using slipstream that that ship cant use it again.

It wasn't that it damaged all hulls, just that Voyagers hull
    a) wasn't designed for slipstream
    b) they were basically hacking the warp core to make it function as a slipstream drive rather than building a proper slipstream drive
    c) Voyager wasn't manouverable enough to cope easily with the phase imbalances, the delta flyer was.
    d) If voyager's crew can come close, then a team of top federation scientists should have no trouble.

I thought that they got it to work fine no trouble (it was in 2 different episodes)

In one episode half of it is in the [present and half in the future. - in that episode it failed

In an earlyier episode they took the tech from the alien who wanted to deliver voyager to the borg. Then at the end of the episode they used the tech to travel great distence but couldent go any further because it wasent safe on the hull to use it anymore

Ah yeah, that was a very early version of the drive. They improved it for the second version which eliminated stress on the hull but had a phase imbalance problem, for which they had the delta flyer flying ahead to provide early corrections. Problem was Ensign kim couldn't keep up with the calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Which along with trying to shag every girl Dead borg human or alien on the ship explans why he was never promoted

They said they didnt promote him because there is limited room for expansion on a starship like voyager but when paris was a ensign for a year could they not have promoted harry?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by User45701
    They said they didnt promote him because there is limited room for expansion on a starship like voyager but when paris was a ensign for a year could they not have promoted harry?

Discrimination! Sue Starfleet (well, he could if money was still in use :D)

Advertisement