Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

The first Tom Waits album I ever heard was "Closing Time". I got a shock when I heard some of his other stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

a 'friend' is selling his "tales from the underground" collection. pm if there is any interest. he has all five.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Couldn't believe it. Was feeling a bit nostaligic tonight and dl'ed Small Change (I do own it, it's in work). Great stuff. A friend introduced me to him when I was in college. Was he on Gay Byrne at one stage? Then I discovered that another fave of mine (Neil Finn) also listens to him. Must be a Tchad Blake thing. One negative thing I'd have to say would be about the film Shortcuts. What a bunch of crap. That aside, TW is just terrific no matter what my wife says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iga

Dear oh dear is he good1
    Went to see his production of Woyzcek in the Gaeity! My my what wonderful stuff he had in preparation. He was in the audience of all things directing the music although it wasnt publicised! The lyrics on Blood money and Alice were absolutely top class even by his standards, probably as a result of the format he was producing for (stage). Heard a recording of a Biography that was broadcast in Chicago a couple of years ago and heard some songs I didnt know existed, anyone heard of Mockingbird song he did? Very bob Dylan. If ya want to see him in film check out pretty much any of Jim Jarmusch films. He rocks and they seem to collaberate a lot.

iga wrote:
    Dear oh dear is he good1
    Went to see his production of Woyzcek in the Gaeity! My my what wonderful stuff he had in preparation. He was in the audience of all things directing the music although it wasnt publicised! The lyrics on Blood money and Alice were absolutely top class even by his standards, probably as a result of the format he was producing for (stage). Heard a recording of a Biography that was broadcast in Chicago a couple of years ago and heard some songs I didnt know existed, anyone heard of Mockingbird song he did? Very bob Dylan. If ya want to see him in film check out pretty much any of Jim Jarmusch films. He rocks and they seem to collaberate a lot.

Tindersticks do a beautiful version on "step right up"

And did anyone recognise him in Bram stokers dracula? He was superb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭damntheman

And I was always so impulsive, I guess that I still am,
    And all that really mattered then was that I was a man.
    I guess that our being together was never meant to be.
    And Martha, Martha, I love you can't you see?

And those were the days of roses, poetry and prose
    And Martha all I had was you and all you had was me.
    There was no tomorrows, we'd packed away our sorrows
    And we saved them for a rainy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Closing Time [Might be my favourite album by T Waits I think, "Hope I dont' fall in love with you" & lots of other great tunes!]

The Heart Of Saturday Night [One of the first albums I bought]

Nighthawks at the Diner [Bought this recently, recommended!]

Franks Wild Years ["Staight to the Top", "Innocent when you dream", "Cold cold ground" such great tunes.]

Small Change [Very rude album cover :p ]

That's all I have so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

I was at the Galway concert in the 80's. If I remember right, it was a wet Miserable friday night, in salthill, and we were going to see this guy we had only realy heard of, The show was nearly two hours late starting, but Tom played late into the morning to make up for it. It was well worth the wait.
    The piano might have been drinking, but Tom was just magic!
    All my kids are into music big time, and it really Pee's them off that I have seen him live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I was at the Galway concert in the 80's. If I remember right, it was a wet Miserable friday night, in salthill, and we were going to see this guy we had only realy heard of, The show was nearly two hours late starting, but Tom played late into the morning to make up for it. It was well worth the wait.
    The piano might have been drinking, but Tom was just magic!
    All my kids are into music big time, and it really Pee's them off that I have seen him live.

Leisureland 1981?
    Heard it was great alright.

A track from that tour ended up on the compilation LP Bounced Checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Leisureland 1981?
    That must have been the one. It seems a long time ago. It was the first time
    I had really heard of Tom Waits, but started a lone affection for his music. Now, my teenage sons love him as well. Rock and Roll need more characters like Tom Waits !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I don't have many of tom's recordings, but my own personal favourites are:

Mule Variations
    Black Rider
    Small Change
    Heart of Saturday Night
    Real Gone

There's some early (70s) footage of him on Youtube which is really great! My wife doesn't really like the more recent material but she'll tolerate Mule Variations, although she gets really annoyed when I whistle the (whistled) part from "What's he building in there" What a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CrazyPJ

Got Orpahns (Bawlers, Bralers,Bastards) a few weeks ago and I just love it, nearly every track is a gem with some of the most beautiful love songs I have ever heard, some hard rocking genius and weirdess unparalled. I think its his best yet but I say that bout nearly every album he brings out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

How can there be a Tom Waits thread without mentioning Captain Beefheart, the guy that almost single handedly inspired him to get into music...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jimjam91

I'm trying to find out hat the story of the song Small Change is, does anyone know?
    I'm guessing it was a friend or someone famous but i would like to know for sure, that is, if there is a story behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

jimjam91 wrote: »
    I'm trying to find out hat the story of the song Small Change is, does anyone know?
    I'm guessing it was a friend or someone famous but i would like to know for sure, that is, if there is a story behind it.

I think you are going to like this,

http://www.tomwaitslibrary.com/lyrics/smallchange/smallchange.html

Its a fantastic site.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tarbolton

The great trilogy of the mid-80s

Swordfishtrombones
    Rain Dogs
    Franks Wild Years

Never bettered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

God I LOVE this man:D:D Have done since I was about 15/16 and was getting out of being a little rocker, the whole beat thing really appealed to me back then, now the music remains...when he played a few years ago I was dying to go and my mother booked a holiday to fly out the very day he played! Was very unimpressed to say the least.....Anyone hear him talking about when he lived here for a while, and near closing time in the local he got up and started tinkering on the piano, only to hear one guy behind mutter to his friend about "that fella's crap Tom Waits impression" ?

I love the older stuff particularly, Closing Time, Blue Valentine, Heartattack, Raindogs probably my favourites, it's all genius though:D Although try telling that to my flatmate who refuses to even give him a chance (bar Jersey Girl which he admits is a good song) based on impressions and things he's heard on the Simpsons's :( His loss though!

Anyone else think that Beauty and the Beast song (from the movie) sounds awfully like the Briar and the Rose in parts? Or maybe I'm just imagining things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Is Tom Waits mentioned in the simpsons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

TheBandit wrote: »
    Is Tom Waits mentioned in the simpsons?

Apparently there's some reference made to his gravely voice? I'm no expert on the Simpson's (unlike the men in my life:rolleyes:) so I can't give a precise point...

Actually it could be Futurama or Family Guy or any of them really. South Park? Some sort of cartoon anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Tom actually spent his honeymoon in Tralee Co Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 myploscarf

Fatherdougalmag asked [Was he on Gay Byrne at one stage?

He certainly was. I remember watching it with my Mam & Dad. Waits was wearing a trilby, singlet T-Shirt and smoking a cigerette if I remember correctly. His forehead was nearly brushing the keys of the piano as he played. The song : Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis. "Hey Charlie I'm pregnant..........." The voice oh the voice never heard anything quite like it and the looks the epitomy of cool. BUT what really set it off for me was my Dad's reaction he went through the roof freaking out at Byrne and what sort of crap he was now making us look at! That did it for me if my old man hated it that much it had to be the best and it certainly is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭pumpkinsoup

One of my favourite movies: Waits with Begnini and Lurie in Down by Law

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Closing time was what got me into his music, still finding it a bit of a challange to get into his more recent stuff.

Genius though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Not really an expert on Waits, but I like this a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Another Tom thread here over in the 'Alternative & Indie' forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Im bumping this thread for this link as I'm guessing that a few Waits fans may have a subscription to it.

Tom Waits calls Bob Dylans radio show. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

joewicklow wrote: »
    Im bumping this thread for this link as I'm guessing that a few Waits fans may have a subscription to it.

Tom Waits calls Bob Dylans radio show. Enjoy.

Saw that earlier myself, tis pretty damn great!

Advertisement