Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Waits

Options
  • 03-02-2004 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

anyone got anything to say about this genius.

personal favorite albums

Swordfishtrombone
    Rain Dogs
    Alice
    The Black Rider
    Blue Valentine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

Man Blue valentines is such a great album. My personal favorite.
    Christmas card from a hooker in miniapolis? so damn fine.

im a big fan of Heart of Saturday Night. A good album that makes it for me just because the song: Please call me Baby.
    JJ smiths on anger street has a good band on a fri nights like a cross between Tom Waits, Van Morrison and Ron Sexmith or something. anyway a good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Heart of Saturday Night is class.

JJs is a great venue. The band on Friday is called the Raindogs. They are a pretty talented bunch of folks alright! Peter Moore has one of the best voices around for Waits style music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Liver-Lips

Ah yes, the raindogs.

Anyone buy the two most recent albums that he released? Alice and Blood Money. I bought Alice and think its class. dont know about Blood Money though, heard it was from his really crazy side which i havent gotten into yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

still slowly getting into the later tom waits, love the early stuff but mule variations and alice took me much longer to get into,
    really like alice, well worth the effort..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Yep,,,I like him...*What!!??...a Hard Rock Rush fan likes waites????!!!...*,,,ahh well..it's nice to have variety, yes I just ordered Blue Valentine tonight from Amazon.com . I used to have half a dozen albums of his on Vinyl and have decided to buy some cd's etc.

Faves: Blue Valentine, Heart Attack and Vine,
    Small Change , Closing Time.

He's a fine artist and totally unique.....ciao' ...Baggio......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

blood mone is top class, but alice is better, i love the baroom jazz feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Ben Monder - Flux......it be some crazie sheeit!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Small Change and Closing Time would be two of my favourites.

Pasties and a G-String is nice'n'sleazy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

people people people is there any disputing that his best albums are raindogs blood money and mule variations in that order!!!

while his "softer stuff" is definatily eons better than most other artists i think there can be no argument that the sound on those albulms are the definitve tom waits sound. tho have to say i cant stop listening to real gone and since discovering waits myself few years back am still finding it hard to listen to other artists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

tom waits is the man, cool as ****.

• Advertisement

I have his autograph :D

seen him in hammersmith. i will never be the same again. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

calis wrote:
    seen him in hammersmith. i will never be the same again. ever.

that bad eh?

lol. as he says in the song shake it ... he was like a preacher waving a gun around.

hope i dont have to wait another 2000 years or so til he gigs again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭damntheman

i love tom waits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

how do people feel about Real Gone?
    I love it anyway! :D

how do people feel about Real Gone
    I love it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

martha in the confines of closing time.

sorry for posting that twice :o

real gone is fantastic. his voice never been better.some great lyrics and the band is cool. tho i find its best listened to wit headphones on as on my crappy stereo it sounded crap. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

We should start a petition or something to get him to play i n Ireland again. He's always here after all, his wife is from Cork.

My old man did sound for him when he played in the olympia and in galway back in the eighties. Still has some of the dats. They are so sweet but Im not allowed copy them. No one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'd rank Tom Waits albums as follows

01 Swordfishtrombones
    02 Rain Dogs
    03 Bone Machine
    04 Small Change
    05 Blood Money
    06 Mule Variations
    07 Closing Time
    08 Frank's Wild Years
    09 Alice
    10 Real Gone
    11 Blue Valentine
    12 The Black Rider
    13 Heartattack And Vine
    14 The Heart Of Saturday Night
    15 Nighthawks At The Diner
    16 Foreign Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

daram wrote:
    We should start a petition or something to get him to play i n Ireland again. He's always here after all, his wife is from Cork.

My old man did sound for him when he played in the olympia and in galway back in the eighties. Still has some of the dats. They are so sweet but Im not allowed copy them. No one is.

If I thought a petition would work I'd be all for it. He played Berlin a couple of days after I left which was a pisser (not that I could afford the tout prices). The man's a legend, I so don't own enough of his albums.

And Dara, please don't tease about having those dats. You shouldn't mention them if you can't copy them. Now I'm going to have to break into your house...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

i know he played in london recently and he was interviewed by dave fanning on the radio a couple of months back -kept saying "geeee, i dont know dave"

so u never know.........he may come back yet!!

when i first started listening 2 him about 4 years ago i began, like many, with his earlier gateway stuff. could never get my head around his later, more "crazy" albums. those albums, swordfishtrombones, raindogs etc. are not initially easy to fall into, and for that reason i was dismissive of them and their brilliance. now however, ive done an "about turn" and i hear more substance in his later albums than his earlier (lighter??) ones (closing time, heart of saturday night etc.)

imo, raindogs has gotta b his best.

alice is fantastic as well "arithmetic arithmetock, i turn the hands back on the clock" love that line :D
    mule variations
    Small Change
    blue valentine "theres a dark huddle at the bus stop, umberellas aranged in a sad bouquet"
    and kentucky ave makes me wanna cry everytime i hear it, but being a hard ass i dont

havent had the pleasure to to listen to real gone yet, but im intrigued by his description of the album as being "cubist funk".

oh yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

I saw him back in 87 or 88 in the Olympia

Great Show - pity to have to wait for so long for him to come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Oh John, guess what I have now. A bootleg of that very same Berlin gig. Four cds worth. All on this little laptop, ready to be shared. And they're ****in great.

Still cant convince the leisureland dats out of my old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Four cd's!?! That man is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Big Tom! He is the man.That interview with Dave Fanning was hilarious. After a real long winded question by Dave, Tom would just say 'Gee Dave I dunno', and sometimes he would laugh. hahaha. I taped the whole thing. Tom's music speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

anyone see him on letterman doin that new song 'make it rain'? ah it was a while ago.

00274741.jpg

i dont feel that the new record is near his best but as usual he's still raising eyebrows all over the place.

he's also the only musician i can think of just doesnt seem to ever release dodgy music. i always feel confident before i hear any new stuff.

franks wild years is the album i play the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

blood money is great.
    weird as sin, but GREAT!

the new one, Real Gone, has no piano on it. it's also really good.

Advertisement