Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some help with something

Options
  • 28-01-2004 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Starfleet torpedos are around 8 Iso-tuns ? i think

In a VOY episode "The Omega dirictive" They modified a torped to be a 54 iso-tun warhead- Kim mentiones that its enough to blow up a small moon

They then make it a 80 Isotun warhead.

We have to assume that will destroy any ship/station in a single hit. Why do the federation not simply use these against borg ships and against ships in the dominion war?

I wouldent be suprised if a single 80 ISO-Tun warhead could destroy ALL of the Borg Unicomplex.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

id say it would have a lotto do with shielding on the enemy ship but as for the borg hmmmmm dunno ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'd say harry was exaggerating as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Ya it come down to shields, at close proximity an explosion of that magnitude would do considerable damager to their own ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Like in TNG when they couldn't fire photons at a ship coming up fast behind them until Barclay did the famous "divert warp power to shields" trick for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Harry was probbley exaderating,

The borg do not have shields they just have heavley armoured hulls

• Advertisement

Borg do have shields. They did in TNG anyway, didn't notice the shields in Voyager (maybe that's why they could pick them off like lego toys).

It is odd. IN some epsiodes they dont show the shield effect for obvisous reasons
    Like in DS9 with the HUGE fleet battles, if they had shield bubbles then all you would see is 1 huge shield bubble because all the ships are being hit by weapons fire at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They couldnt show the bubble because they couldnt afford it :)

Those torps would be to heavy and slow to hit a ship anyways the 80 iso ton torp was going to be used as a cluster bomb just fire it and explode a few 1,000 miles from the target

I dont think it was because they could not afford it, i assume a shield effect and a torpedo hitting a hull and some debre flying off in little explosions would cost just as much.

Besides in releality that have to pay for 1 shield effect and then just place it on all the ships.

Berman said they couldnt afford it and he produces the show so i bleave him :p

• Advertisement

Ok. fair enough then. I didnt know that. You would assume that they would get allot of money from star trek though.....

It always anoyed me that they re-used old battle footage.

they do get a lot of money but produceing a 3d model *and theirs A LOT of them* then animateing them etc isnt cheap + it takes a fair bit of time

Makes sence.
    Stargate have it much more easy. They dont often have to worry about spending allot of money on space scenes.

They have done some amazig ones. I love that scene in the minefield when apophis kills heraur.

Enterprise seems to have allot of money to throw around.

i remember reading that when TNG started they only had a budget of 1 million dollors per show God only knows what enterprise has.

I personal think stargates ships are FAR better than star treks ships their more "real" looking

its hard to say
    I love them both but there is something about the gou`auld ships that i love, i think your right they do seem more real.

I would actualy be interested in finding out how much a budget per epsiode enterprise has.

Thors ship in stargate (the O neill class) is fecking great looking!
    I would actualy be interested in finding out how much a budget per epsiode enterprise has.

id be more interested in what the Writers are smokeing :p

The budget for Enterprise got cut soon into Season 1. It's probably still huge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

An earlier issue of SFX Magazine stated that the Enterprise pilot had been budgeted at $10-15 million, but this figure probably didn't include the cost of building the series's standing sets (story).

just found this quote/rumour from trektoday i think it was.

Ye its a pity the destroyed the O`niell but the promethus and the X-302 look good aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Borg do have shields. They did in TNG anyway, didn't notice the shields in Voyager (maybe that's why they could pick them off like lego toys).
    The borg, for some odd reason, only seem to raise shields after they've adapted to the attacking ships weapons, since they couldn't assimulate species 8472 they couldn't defend against them. There are other episodes in Voyager to support this theory. e.g. when voyager found a borg cube which was offline due to the effect of a nebula or something... :)

• Advertisement

The cube in Best of both worlds and first contact didnt have shields

It did in Best of both worlds definitely. I think they referred to the shields as an "energy barrier" or something. They spent quite a bit of time trying to disable it, work around it, surprised you don't remember :)

I think that was a anti-transport/sensor shield.

Do you remember all the phaser and torpedos fired hit the ship?
    There was no shield against weapons fie.

Also in the first episode of DS9 when you see some battle scence from Battle of Wolf359 is no shield preventing weapons fire from hitting the ship.

The borg has to have sheilds .....i mean look at the ship its mostly open spaces and the outsides seem to be made of tubes or something....One torp to the other hull would breech it with easy

they all more than likely have hull hugging sheilds

References are made that a borg ship will function fine even if 78% was damaged.

I just assumed the borg have very strong hulls and advanced regeneration instead of shields. how big a generator would you need for s hip that size.

you would need a few big one's i guess

i wonder why they never repeated the tatic voyager used against the borg probe. Where they beamed a torpedo onto the ship. I assume the borg adapted to that tatic and remodulated there shields or something.

voyager made the borg look weaker than the Cardies

Not realey.

They just got luckey all the time.
    They fought a borg probe that was the same size and armement as voyager.Won cause they used a new tatic (beaming a torpedo onto the ship)
    They battled a dammaged sphere and almost lost.
    They upgraded there shields and pahers by nearley 200-300% fought a sphere and still lost.

• Advertisement

voyager is around 4 times weaker than a galaxy class and over and over painway goes out of her/his way to attack a fugeing cube....mostly not just any cube but a tatical fecking cube! and either wins or gets away with it ....thats bull

Advertisement