Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus.. HoHoHo we want more dough

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Don't take the ****ing bus then..... moan.

John

Originally posted by Giblet
    I get charged 1.40 to go just over a mile where I live, they can go sh*t If they think they're making me look for five cent pieces, and then that will be slyly rounded up.

LOL...omg then walk the MILE you bítch. Or buy a bike. On a bike you could easily cover a mile in 10 minutes.

Seriously, if you don't want to carry change everywhere with you then just buy a 10 journy ticket...It's almost as if you people are running out of things to moan about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd love to see ya carry a 60kg amp a mile, it's nothing to do with lazyness, I walk there all the time, but When I have to bring **** home, they charge ya because it's outside Dublin, and It's not far outside Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/2289130?view=Eircomnet
    Fares discourage public transport use - Shortall
    Friday, 2nd January, 2004

Communters are being deterred from using public transport by the latest fare increases, Labour Party transport spokesperson, Ms Roisín Shortall said today.

Fare increases averaging 5 per cent on Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann and Dublin Bus take effect next Sunday.

Ms Shortall said the Government should increase subvention to public transport companies to encourage the public to leave their cars at home.

"In other countries, the government subvention stands as high as 50 per cent, in Ireland it is currently 25 per cent ... Ireland already has the highest public transport fares in Europe," Ms Shortall said.

New Dublin Bus tariffs take effect from Sunday with 5 cent added to all single fares bar Airlink and Nitelink.

An average increase of 2.75 per cent will apply to Bus Éireann single fares but some increases will be as high 9 per cent.

Iarnród Éireann fares increases will increase by 3.2 per cent on average and also come into effect next Monday.

The assertion that "Ireland already has the highest public transport fares in Europe" is wrong in many cases.

HMmmmm train fares in Ireland are terrible, thats on thing I will agree on.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There great in ireland compared to england were the distance from tara to maynooth costed 70 quid sterling for a 5 day ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Don't bitch until you try belfast. You have no idea what bad public transport is until you try belfast! We're on one of the busiest bus routes in Belfast, if not the busiest, and you're lucky if there's a bus every 10 minutes, to give you the privilage of paying £1.10 (€1.50 ish) for the mile and a bit into town. The trains here are still diesel powered, with fumes rising through the floors, manual swing doors, arriving about once every-half hour at a minimum of 5 minutes late.

Having spent most of my life in Dublin, I can tell you that you have it easy. Hell, you lot even have bus lanes!

Originally posted by RasTa
    There great in ireland compared to england were the distance from tara to maynooth costed 70 quid sterling for a 5 day ticket

Yea but because of de-regulation in england, if you book your ticket early you can get really cheap tickets. Where as in Ireland, its the same price, No matter what.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

As mentioned, the Rambler Handy Packs are a really good idea if your fare is €1.60. At €15 for five one-day tickets, you're saving 20c per day (30c after the hike). Stock up now, before the hike reaches the tickets ;)

The Handy Packs seem to be a lil' known 'best-of'. You can use each ticket for a full day of travel, including AirLink buses, which are €5 a trip otherwise! For a month of weekdays, they cost €60 (better than the monthly) - good idea if you travel a lot, and also if you travel not-so-often.

Anyway, imagine the hassle of ppl trying to get exact change and the delays etc etc :rolleyes: So how many are gonna put the €2 in, get a change ticket, and lumber in to Dublin Bus HQ to cash them all in? I think DB are onto somethin' :mad:

It is what it's.

22/12/03
    All adult and child fares will increase by 5 cents from January 4th 2004.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/dublin_bus_news.asp?action=view&news_id=271

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

moved, that is all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ok, according to the 2002 Dublin Bus Annual Report (specifically the passenger figures: http://www.cie.ie/about_us/summary_of_performance.asp#passenger), 146.6 Million journeys were made on Dublin Bus (thats just Dublin Bus) in the last year. this figure is up by over 3 million since 2001, so it could be assumed that it rose in 2003 and will rise again this year, but just for arguments sake, lets say it drops to an even 146 million in 2004 (because 600,000 people refused to pay extra)

by my estimates Dublin Bus stand to earn an extra €7.3 Million in 2004.

as they proudly state how they made a profit of €836.1 Million in 2002 (or am i reading the thing wrong), so why exactly do they need the extra few million? they only invested €375.9 Million in public transport (no precise details), why not double that figure and make bigger improvements in the fleet?

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    as they proudly state how they made a profit of €836.1 Million in 2002 (or am i reading the thing wrong),
    The group as a whole (Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus + minor companies) had a deficit (loss) of €3.6m after state subvention, much of the state subvention goes on capital expenditure (new buses, trains, etc.). The €836.1 is equal to all their costs (staff, fuel, etc.).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

oh, fair enough, i was under the impression they made a profit....

Flogen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

What is interesting though is should the State have to continue to subsidise CIE to such an extent? Rather than CIE say making itself more efficient (laying off unnessecary staff, rationalising departments and so forth) they seem to just ask for more money from the government. Now they don't do an absolutely awful job of it but - if this were a private company - would it be run tighter?

Originally posted by ixoy
    What is interesting though is should the State have to continue to subsidise CIE to such an extent? Rather than CIE say making itself more efficient (laying off unnessecary staff, rationalising departments and so forth) they seem to just ask for more money from the government. Now they don't do an absolutely awful job of it but - if this were a private company - would it be run tighter?
    The companies are actually some of the least subsidised in the world. Providing public transport makes economies more efficient.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Victor
    The companies are actually some of the least subsidised in the world. Providing public transport makes economies more efficient.
    No, they're not the worst offender and privatising them would probably see certain routes vanish and less frequent buses [because they don't make economic sense]. However, if they strike on me I'll change my tune no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Are there any statistics for reliability and punctuality of Dublin Bus services?

Originally posted by antoinolachtnai
    Are there any statistics for reliability and punctuality of Dublin Bus services?
    Not published that I am aware of, unless it's somewhere in their Annual Report on their webiste. They will of course have the figures themselves.

http://www.thepost.ie/web/DocumentView/did-755007731-pageUrl--2FThe-Newspaper-2FSundays-Paper-2FNews.asp
    Dublin Bus predicts €3m operating surplus for 2003
    04/01/04 00:00
    By Niamh Connolly

Dublin Bus is forecasting an operating surplus of more than €3 million for last year, based on an 8 per cent increase in revenue from the previous year's €157 million figure.

The surplus is despite increased congestion problems due to the construction of Luas and the Dublin Port tunnel, as well as the development of O'Connell Street.
    The cost of congestion to Dublin Bus is predicted to rise from €34.9 million in 2001 to €49.4 million last year, a 42 per cent increase over the two years.

Overall congestion costs include additional labour and fuel costs and take into ac-count potential savings if Dublin bus es ran at similar speeds to buses in comparable international cities.

ABDO Simpson Xavier Consulting report last June highlighted a worsening traffic situation throughout the greater Dublin area, as a result of major infrastructural works and increasing traffic on already overcrowded roads.

The development of the Quality Bus Corridor (QBC) network and consolidation of certain routes, as well as increased monitoring and control of operations, has helped limit congestion costs, according to the report.

The government subvention to Dublin Bus last year was 25 per cent of its operating costs, amounting to €54 million - one of the lowest subsidies in Europe, according to Dublin Bus.

The public service obligation payment is lower than in European cities that have adopted competitive franchising, which is proposed for Dublin over the next year.

Passenger numbers rose by 1.4 per cent lastyear, with more than 149 million passengers travelling by bus - equivalent to one third of the population of greater Dublin using the bus every day. This compares with predicted annual Luas figures of 20 million.

Prepaid ticket sales have increased by 75 per cent since 1999, with revenue up 12 per cent for last year. Prepaid tickets account for 41 per cent of all sales. More than 1,000 companies used theTax Saver ticket scheme last year, giving employees and employers tax savings on monthly and annual bus and rail tickets. Tax Saver ticket sales grew from €9 million in 2002 to €13 million.

From January 5, passengers will have to pay 5 per cent more for their Dublin Bus journeys, due to benchmarking payments.

Dublin Bus also began building a €43 million garage on an 11-acre site at Harristown near Dublin Airport - the first new garage to be built by the company in over 30 years. When completed next October, it will cater for more than 240 buses and 700 staff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement