Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus.. HoHoHo we want more dough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

This is just cash fares? Not ticket fares?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

They haven't really been keeping it quiet. I've heard it a few times on the radio and the TV.
    I'd imagine it's in the national press also.
    And it's only 5c. I usually throw those coins in a large tin-can.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Only 5c? Bah - two journeys a day makes that 10c. Say 250 journeys a year makes that €25! BAH! Do I get a better service for that? No! Damned civil servants and their damned benchmarking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

And it's only 5c.

And if everyone has that attitude, next time it will be "only 10c" then "only" 20c. And for what, a company that can't even run a decent bus service in one of Europes busiest capital cities. And as for Sunday Services, times have changed, people now work on a Sunday in case they didn't know and the majority of buses on a Sunday don't even start till about 9:30 in the morning. Taxis are making a killing because people have to make a living which includes working at the weekend.

Rant over, for now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by steviem
    And as for Sunday Services, times have changed, people now work on a Sunday in case they didn't know and the majority of buses on a Sunday don't even start till about 9:30 in the morning. Taxis are making a killing because people have to make a living which includes working at the weekend.
    Early morning services are being provided on Sundays for the Christmas period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

Early morning services are being provided on Sundays for the Christmas period.

Great for shoppers, but what about those who work the other 52 weeks of the year. I spend a fortune on taxis just to get home on a Sunday morning each week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok, so looking at this.
    I do be on dublin bus a total of 23 times per week.
    and holy **** I am actualy after working this out, I never relised how much I spend on busses a year jasus christ.
    I use 12 fares at 1.60
    and 11 fares at 1.20
    per week
    So according to the new figures, here is how much more per year I am paying..
    960(old)
    990(new)
    1,950 per anum
    660(old)
    687(new)
    1,347 per anum

differance = 603e
    someone please correct me, this can't be right??
    hmm, I must be ****ing up somewere along something
    also taking it at 50 weeks per year

Originally posted by Lenny

960(old)
    990(new)
    1,950 per anum
    660(old)
    687(new)
    1,347 per anum

differance = 603e

€960 (old)
    €660 (old)
    €1,620 per annum (old)

€990(new)
    €687(new)
    €1,677 per annum (new)

Difference = €57 = 23 x 50 x €0.05

Go buy an annual ticket!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ahh good man victor i knew there was something wrong going on there... those annual tickets, they're only done at the start of each year arre they do you know off by hand?
    last time I checked they were 650 euro, thats an lot to fork out at once yea know...
    thanks for correcting me wrong!

last time I checked they were 650 euro, thats an lot to fork out at once yea know...
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/annual.asp
    Unlimited travel for 12 consecutive months starting from any month on all Dublin Bus Services including Nitelink and Airlink services (except Ferry Services & Tours).
    Alternatively go for monthly tickets http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/monthly.asp for €68 (adult).

Both tickets are tax / PRSI / BIK free if provided by your employer (ask for it in lieu of a pay rise). http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/taxsaver_commuter_tickets.asp
    No problem ... ya muppet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Ahh good man victor i knew there was something wrong going on there... those annual tickets, they're only done at the start of each year arre they do you know off by hand?

Imagine if u lost it!

D'oh!

I see you mention **** about prsi and tax etc.
    i am on contract work with aib, do they have to give me tax allowance for my travels or is it up to them? likely they don't don't have to give it because im on a re-newing contact with them every 1/2 year?
    or do I go to the tax man directly?

Originally posted by aphex™
    Imagine if u lost it!
    I think you can get a free replacement.

I think yea can cause its photo id...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Time to buy a few hundred rambler handy packs me thinks - I did that last year with the student tickets when the price was increased hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Public transport is far too expensive. Local journeys should be free or heavily subsidised.

No, public transport is relatively cheap compared to everything else in Ireland.

And local journies should be walked you lazy mofo. Subsidized? LMFAO

I agrree with utlitity
    Compared to a taxi to my house from town costs €35 with the bus that costs €1.60
    even the nitelink is only €4

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by Victor
    I think you can get a free replacement.

You'd think, but they actually charge €12 per month remaining on the ticket! So if you lose it in the first month you pay €144...

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

did anybody hear dublin bus actually made a profit last year. so where is the justification for the price increase?

• Advertisement

Oh my god! A semi-state company making a profit - whats the world coming to!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Repli
    Oh my god! A semi-state company making a profit - whats the world coming to!
    holy christ. how on earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

As regards that 5c increase, I'll believe it's only 5c when I see it. Remember the "10%" increase last year? Small bit more than 10% i'd say.

It'll also make digging for change a whole lot more awkward.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I get charged 1.40 to go just over a mile where I live, they can go sh*t If they think they're making me look for five cent pieces, and then that will be slyly rounded up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

apparently from what ive heard from a few people in the know.. dublin bus is one of the only profitable bus services in europe/major euro cities... this has been the case for quite a few years...

the extra 5c is not justified... the main inconvenience is the pain in the arse of trying to find a bloody 5c coin or getting 5c back on your ticket.... i must cash in all my receipts and buy a monthly ticket.. im sick of looking for change....

on my routes (16, 16a, 19, 19a and 65b for work) the service is always good... never too much disruption... i know that this isnt the case on all the other routes..

what can you do? hey?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

currently 3:20 from very southside to very northside, cheaper with tickets, when compared to a taxi fare which would be at least 40 or with the price of buying/insuring/running a car its very cheap, no complaints here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I dont use dublin bus on a regular basis, but havent had any problem apart from some over crowding..... I don't think 5 Cent is all that much. If you use the bus regularly surely a monthly pass would be the clever option?!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

having the right change is hard enough as it is without having to keep a load of 5c pieces in your pocket :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Buy a month ticket...... If you use it that much to have to carry a load of 5 cents around in your pocket well then use a travel card etc etc..... I dont understand the problem.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

And what of those who use the bus service on a semi-regular basis, ie. enough so that the 5c a ticket is a noticable increase, but not enough as to warrant the purchase of a monthly ticket?

I wouldn't mind so much if they hadn't only increased the fairs a short while ago, or if there was something being done to improve the service. Dublin Bus can't compare with european public transport services and yet they seem to charge much more. And they have the resources to fix many of their problems, yet they just seem to ignore them. I have honestly lost count of how many times I've waited upwards of 40 minutes for a bus, or had to endure some scumbag blowing smoke in my face or the driver not letting passengers off at their stop or...

Run your buses on time, treat your customers with respect, enforce your own rules and regulations and then you can have your 5c.

Advertisement