Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modded X-Box

Options
  • 27-11-2003 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I've just modded my x-box with the x-bit solderless chip and i've flashed it with the evolution x bios. I know it is working fine cos there is a blue xbox flash screen when i boot from the modded chip.
    What is the next step for me ? My main reason for wanting it chipped is so I can "play my backed up originals";). Is this possible now or do i need to install the evo x dashboard and make iso's ? Basically can i just copy (backup) games with Nero or whatever and just play them or is there more to it
    Cheers
    Demo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

ok just to give u a quick answer m8 (anything else u need u can find out on xboxscene)

U need 2 install the EvoX dashboard first of all
    to play legal backups of ur games ;) u cant simply copy them with nero
    u have 2 choices :
    1st u can copy them to your xbox hard drive with xcommander i think its called
    bearing in my that most games are a few gigs and the xbox only has an 8 gig drive this option only goes so far. u can replace the hd but thats another story
    2nd is u network ur xbox 2 ur pc. then u ftp to the xbox and dump the contents of the xbox dvd drive (with the game) to your pc. u then burn this image to your dvd r
    it should then be able to work in your xbox

my advice is if u have a spare hd install it and copy the games 2 the xbox
    saves time effort and also the games run faster if u also replace the hd cable

anyway remember check out www.xboxscene.com for anything u need 2 know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

great link did you check it before you posted it guess not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Think he meant http://www.xbox-scene.com/ (I always forget hyphens in domains too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dempseyg

Cheers Mate I'll get cracking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i bought my xbox in may, and when i opened it the other day to see if fitting a mod would be do-able, i found a 20 gig harddrive inside, cant remember the make, ordered the mod an hour ago (50euro), happy days for me, me hopes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

@ tlachta I hope you checked if the modchip was suitable for your version must be a 1.4 or 1.5 xbox
    Pete

http://www.divineo.co.uk/cgi-bin/div-uk/xb-x23lite.html

this is the one i got, i am not sure what version xbox i have, but i think it does them all, if not i'll sell it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

i am not sure what version xbox i have, but i think it does them all

Jepp, it does do all of them. It's real easy to see which version you have, just check the manufacturing date/country, and google for the info. You should find it straight away.

Also, you should get the latest slayer auto-install disc, it has Evo-X, latest Bioses (including the 4978.03 Bios with the 137gig HD limit removed), latest stable Media Player and lots of more stuff. Only 250meg DL aswell.
    You'll get it if you google for it, although it's not that easy to find. I ended up DLing it from some spanish site.

only 250mb

great i am on dial-up, will i be able to do much with out downloading over say 3 mb,

I know the feeling buddy im also on dial up your best best is to download it in sections from somewere like http://www.emobilexbox.com/download.html it comes in 21 4 meg pieces use reget or some other download manager to get it over a week or so.
    Pete

• Advertisement

only 250mb

Sorry, I'm on 1MBit ADSL, anything below like 3 gigs is small to me :)

Bastard How come some people have the luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

does the newer mod-chips out there now allow u to play x-box live?

because mirosoft stoped users who have a mod-chips in there x-box to loginin in to there x-box live servers

Sorry, I'm on 1MBit ADSL, anything below like 3 gigs is small to me

normal people take pity on those less fortunate then themselves

sadly for you i dont, because i got a t1 line at work and ordered that 256mb keydrive in the bargains forum, i win

normal people take pity on those less fortunate then themselves

I wasn't trying to show off... I've had ADSL for a long time now, I was only without it for a few months when I first moved to Ireland (year and a half ago).
    I've just gotten so used to having it that I didn't even think of the fact that lots of people don't have it.

I can also add that my 1MBit line has nothing to do with luck, it's costing me 204euros a month (uncapped 1MBit from Eircom).
    I'm actually Swedish, and I've had broadband before moving to ireland for like 4 years.
    1Mbit is like the slowest connection I've had for quite some time now, and most of my swedish friends are on 10+Mbits...

Anyways, point being, I wasn't trying to show off... 250megs DOES seems like nothing to me... and coming from a country where you can get 100MBits to you house for less than 100euros a month, you might be able to understand why it never struck me that people are on dialup...
    sadly for you i dont, because i got a t1 line at work and ordered that 256mb keydrive in the bargains forum, i win

Well done dude....

No, there's a check (I believe it's a CRC check of the bios in memory) when you connect to Live, so it's not possible for any chip to let you play live.

However, you can get a chip that you can turn off, and then play live (x-ecuter Pro for example). This obviously requires an original copy of the game.

BTW, when you connect to Live, Microsoft will update your dashboard. If you want to put it back to the "good old state", the slayers auto-install disc actually has an option of doing so.

I can add that you need to be VERY careful when connecting to live with a modded xbox, as Microsoft will ban you if they ever see any indication of the mod.

Banned = that xbox is never getting on live again... ever!
    I know the feeling buddy im also on dial up your best best is to download it in sections from somewere like http://www.emobilexbox.com/download.html

I just looked at that URL, and I saw that it only has version 2,1 of Slayers.

If you're going through the hassle of DLing it, then you should get v2.5. Lots of improvements, and same DL size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by #MEAT#

because mirosoft stoped users who have a mod-chips in there x-box to loginin in to there x-box live servers

don't know laddie, but check out here. as far as i can tell the answer is no. but i'm thinkin if you turn your modchip off and use one of the no-modchip exploits to play a backed up game, you might be in luck.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act=ST&f=53&t=23699&st=300

but i'm thinkin if you turn your modchip off and use one of the no-modchip exploits to play a backed up game, you might be in luck.

Everytime you connect to Live, Msoft will patch the exploitable dashboard. Hence, if it works, it will only work once (unless you put the vulnarable dashboard back, but this would be a process you'd have to repeat each time you disconnect from Live).

My suggestion, get the pro version of the x-ecuter chip, and buy the game you wanna play on Live.

When you wanna play online, turn the xbox and the chip off, put the game in, start the xbox and play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by muffen
    Everytime you connect to Live, Msoft will patch the exploitable dashboard. Hence, if it works, it will only work once (unless you put the vulnarable dashboard back, but this would be a process you'd have to repeat each time you disconnect from Live).

My suggestion, get the pro version of the x-ecuter chip, and buy the game you wanna play on Live.

When you wanna play online, turn the xbox and the chip off, put the game in, start the xbox and play :)
    didn't think of that.

u can get the lite version also, it has an external switch to disable the chip too.

@cuan no that will do me im going to modify it for my emulators dvd player and media player otherwise its only to set up aharddrive dont need the rest of the stuff on it
    Pete

• Advertisement

okay soldered in mod, switched on xbox-wow worked first time :)

booted up red light on mod and started running the entre the matrix game fine

switched it xbox off, and switched mod on,

booted up green light, a cromwell (sorry if your from drogheda ) bios screen looking to kill those he left behind, or i mean looking for a bios update cd???

ah i know that auto installer cd that muffen told me about (thanks muffen) in 4mb bits (thanks peterk19)

extraced the iso

burned the iso to a cd-rw with nero, loaded in xbox

no bios found
    halting...

hmmm

so please guys what am i doing wrong??

info is very limited on the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

what settings did you use when burning the cd, in detail thx. and also what did you rename the bios file to? the cromwell BIOS will look for a number fo different filenames and if not found it wont continue to update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

send me your email tlachta
    I have something interesting for ya..

what settings did you use when burning the cd

i am trying to burn it using nero, (not sure what version i am at work, its very new only have it 2 weeks)

i go to burn image, choose the evox iso

then nero pops up its usual window, most options are grayed out, all i can change is cd or dvd
    disk at once/tack at once/ disk at once 96 (think it says 96) tried all 3
    write speed (set it 4x), used a 10x maxell cd-rw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

evox iso??? If i am not totally wrong you are burning the OS cd, the Cromwell bios is looking for a normal CD just with the BIOS file names as bios.bin
    Here is the rest:
    Creating the Bios CD

- Ensure that the bios file you wish to use of an appropriate size for your modchip.
    (eg. Cheapmods require a 256k bios file and Xecuter 2 requires a 1Mb file.)

- Make a copy of the bios file you wish to use and rename this copy to BIOS.BIN
    (You can also use BIOSUPD1.BIN, CROMWELL.BIN, XECUTER.BIN & LINUXBIO.BIN)

- Select a CD or DVD media compatible with your XBox's DVD-Rom.
    (Most CDRW will work and most DVD-R will work. If you have a Samsung Drive then some CD-R will work)

- Burn the BIOS.BIN file onto a CD.
    (For Nero select the following settings, No Multisession, ISO Level 1, Format Mode 1, ISO 9660,
    Deselect Joliet, Finalize CD, Disc-At-Once)

- You should add a dummy file to the CD to ensure it is read properly by the XBOX

okay thanks i'll try that tomorrow,

i noticed the evox auto installer iso had a bios folder with 4 bin files in it, (read it with some xiso software) thought thats what the cromwell was looking for

as for dummy file what do you mean, if i stick in a mpg or avi file, will that do?

Yea those will do as dummy files just something around 50 meg in size and those are bios files on the slayer cd
    Pete

okay i flashed it with a bios that thelad sent me (thanks mick)

now when i power up with the mod on its just like powering up with it off , and it still won't recognise my cd

edit
    got it working thanks lads, now to get my self a network kit

oh my god it's brilliant, got network set up no problem, anyone know if i can change the dvd software for one that supports the dongle, i am using the change time setting to watch dvds

if you got an xbox get a mod, their crap without one

• Advertisement

anyone know if i can change the dvd software for one that supports the dongle

Just use the Msoft DVD player, that one supports the dongle :)
    if you got an xbox get a mod, their crap without one

Jepp, couldn't agree more. It's a worthless black brick without a modchip, and a great entertainment unit with the mod.

Advertisement