Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager on a go slow?

Options
  • 26-11-2003 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I was thinking the other day about voyager maximum indefinte cruise speed (as you do of course) as i'm reading star trek book where there still stranded 70,000 light years from home it will take 70 years to get home

well through a little research i've decided thats warp 9.2 the normal maximum velocity for a federation starship

with this velocity it takes a day to travel the distance to a nearby star 5 light years say.

now say voyager spends 5 days travelling to earth and the other 2 days chillin and collecting food and energy and stuff

that means they do 25 light years a week for 52 weeks a year thats about 1300 light years. That means to travel 70,000 ly it should take about 54 years.

70 years my arse obviously someone didn't do the maths :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

obviously someone has a life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah yeah apart from the obvious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

the intrepids top cruse speed is warp 9,975

But remember that voyager was badly damaged many many many times had no access to starbases or refits ......was always low on sluppys AND had a crappy crew

the ship really had notting going for it

at most voyager top speed would really be warp 8 - 9 if you take into considerasion all the damage + wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well through a little research i've decided thats warp 9.2 the normal maximum velocity for a federation starship
    Based on what O_¨® ... Voyager top speed warp 9.975, Galaxy Class (somewhat older) warp 9.4

OMG and u call yourself a Trek mod :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Maybe they knew they were going to be fecked about by many species, included for janeways constant meddling in others affairs and random borg attacks :)
    The crew just came up with the estimate saying "she's feckin crazy lets add another 30 years onto the projected time" :)

• Advertisement

galaxy could go warp 9,6 with the venture class refit

and data is kinda right the defiant couldnt go much faster than warp 9 either could most of the fleet

Fast ships =

Galaxy
    Intrepid
    Akira
    Sovy

thats about it

Actually i just remembered, they based their calculation on the assumption that they could maintain a comfortable crusing speed of warp 8, while they could reach warp 9.975 they can only maintain that speed for 12 hours ;)

no warp 9,97 is the ships Cruise speed
    Warp 9,985 is its Top max speed that it can only hold for 12 hour's or so

ok u be quite, ya nerd! :D

Originally posted by azezil
    Based on what O_¨® ... Voyager top speed warp 9.975, Galaxy Class (somewhat older) warp 9.4

OMG and u call yourself a Trek mod :p

Based on the wait for it :) The star trek encyclopedia: a reference guide to the future yeah voyager's maximum sustainable cruising velocity is 9.975 but i don't think they could do that indefinetly.

and if voyager was travelling at that speed constantly it would only take about 20years for them to get home.

The encyclopedia quotes 9.2 though as the normal maximum speed of federation starships

i think the main reason though is the oh oh lets study that gaseous nebula 5 light years off course it might contain a micro wormhole.

• Advertisement

i'd add prometheus to the fast ships, thats a quality starship

ok u be quite, ya nerd!

im being called a nerd by the fecking mod of the SCI-FI boards who is debateing top warp speeds with me :D:p

"starts singing" im right and your wrong im right and your wrong

i'd add prometheus to the fast ships

ya crusie speed of warp 9,99 damn damn fast

then again it is only a prototype

Originally posted by Dataisgod
    yeah voyager's maximum sustainable cruising velocity is 9.975 but i don't think they could do that indefinetly.
    HA i was right, TAKKIT /me throws a pair of spock ears at bizmark

u wherent right you clamed it can only cruise at its Cruise speed for 12 hours! "trows brick at azeil"

Enough of your lip mod boy :p

it could cruise nice and happy at warp 9,975 for a few week's id say

then some green Ensign accidentally hits 8 instead of 7 and the ship crashes out of warp in about an hour :)

ya while wreaking its warp coils and warp core in the proccess

Janeway would be pissed :D

Originally posted by bizmark
    u wherent right you clamed it can only cruise at its Cruise speed for 12 hours! "trows brick at azeil"

Enough of your lip mod boy :p

it could cruise nice and happy at warp 9,975 for a few week's id say
    lol no i said they can REACH 9.975 but can only maintain it for 12mins (i said hours ment mins) i draw your attention to the the warp 10 episode uh huh *nodz* i rock.
    Their crusing speed is more like warp 8.

yeah she really wanted to get the coffee out of that gaseous nebula :)

ah god i better go to bed, its getting too late for these numbers :)

draw your attention to the the warp 10 episode

dont make me beat you to death for bring that episode up!

as for the 12min warp 9,975 thing ......Your crazy :D even a bird of prey can hold warp 9 for a hour even though its designed cruise speed is warp 6 and max is warp 8

• Advertisement

look sunny jim watch that episode then come talk to me :P

i dont have the dvd's!

buy voyager itself is hardly a great show of warp speed in the federasion

ffs they even clamed you couldnt turn in warp :o

AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE WARP 10 SHUTTLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yes the warp 10 shuttle episode was a load of crap. was it that they evolved or devolved or turned into something completely different? can't remember. Out of interest what speed do they travel at in subspace tunnels? (can't quite remember the names, em.. the tunnels the borg use :) )

Transwarp ?

i dont know their grapics around the place to show how fast it it.......put simplely Its far far far faster that the fastest federasion ship....able to cross the galaxy in mere hour's

regardless of the speed a bird of prey can go at be it warp 9 or whatever.

The way the warp scale works warp 9.975 is massively faster iirc. stan has some good links showing how the warp scale scales.

Transwarp and quantum slip stream drives are way faster then conventional warp yes. One wonders why the borg never send cubes en masse then to kick the crap out of earth its not like they didnt have many to spare.

ya i found that amusing as well, never really thought obout it till an episode of voyager when the borg sent loads of ships to take down a single planet, but they only send one against the federation :)

in the FULL first connact script the borg sent 48 borg cube's to attack the federasion ..starfleet destroyed them all useing their new Q-torps

the phrase bollox comes to mind for that i don't think the federation could destroy 48 cubes regardless of quantum torpedoes realistically look at the amount it took to destroy that one cube that we say and that was with picard knowing to concentrate fire on that area of the cube due to his previous like to the board

Do you have an articles on this script bizmark. i don't doubt what you say only that i doubt the federations ability.

Just out of interest when in the star trek time line did first contact take place with respect the dominion war

Hey hey i said the "full" un cut script .......they must of though it was unbleaveable to seeming we ended up with 1 cube and 1 sphear

I still think the feddy could take out 5-10 cubes

and i think first contact happened just before the war

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by bizmark
    and i think first contact happened just before the war
    Yep, afaik. First Contact took place just before, and Insurrection took place just after.

Advertisement