Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of the year!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Max Payne 2 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'm getting seriously hooked on ff tactics advance at the mo.
    i thought i'd play it for an hour at 11 last night, next time i looked up at the clock it was 3:00, then i noticed it starting to get light outside:eek:

other than that, vice city & freelancer on the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Originally posted by ][Dermington][
    Hi...I dont want to sound like a total idiot but some of the games of the year are not amazing titles or anything like that...just certain aspects are really good an deserve a mention...here goes...(In no necessary order)...

1/ Medieval Total War + Viking Expansion (I love this game...)
    2/ Call Of Duty (fairly solid AI and good fun)
    3/ Vice City (thank god it actually works...unlike its CRAP predecessor)
    4/ EVE Online (biiiiiig game)
    5/ Knights of the old republic (worth the crazy €60 the shops want)

Dont bother disagreeing with me...:ninja:

I hate to dissagree but your game of the year came out in 2002. :p

Anyway, Total War is class. The only reason I didn't include it is I only got it last week and I haven't got my head around it yet. Very addictive though.

3/ Vice City (thank god it actually works...unlike its CRAP predecessor)
    erm... what?
    gta3, crap?????????

consider me to be disagreeing with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I dont think hes saying the actual game is crap, just that his PC wont run it aswell as it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Nice to see zone of the enders getting a few more mentions, class Game.
    all your base are belong to bahram

lol "You Wretch" - Nohman

Apart the the brutal Translation, which i only Noticed the second time I played it (strange?), that game's amazing, its easily best game for PS2 imo, (and cheap 55 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

(ps: I think vice city was out last year, not this one ;))

The PC version was released this year.
    I'll add CM4 aswell, can't comment on 03/04, only been playing it for half an hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    lol "You Wretch" - Nohman

"You killed my pals!"

totaly incomprhensibe :)

6 hours to finish and i dispatched 4100 enemies. its a fantastic game, and one of most intense you will every play. it never lets up the pace for a second and full of memorable moments(the high speed train where you slam the enemies into the walls and watch them fly off into the distance or laying into the engines of the battleships while looking over a beautiful dawn and the lights of cities twinkling below and the _huge_ battle against you and your 40 crappy levs against hundreds of enemy orbital frames or when zakat rises through the clouds). kojima-san knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

"Thats no warship, thats an Orbital Frame" - Dingo
    Not badly translated or anything, just found that part very funny!

"What is the performance of this frame???" - Dingo

Stange Reply:

"This is orbital frame Jehuty, Do you request control instructions?" - ADA

Best game evar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Soul Calibur 2 anyone? it just keeps eating up my time...

oh and Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain.

*stunner!!*

*ding**ding*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

considering i spend half an hour running after crabs on the beach in zelda(i'm convinced you can get one of them) i'm gonna put that as my number one, great game for playing and not actually doing anything, but i still think silent hill 3 deserves some sort of mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ][Dermington][

BLITZ_MOLLOY.....I know that Medieval came out in 2002 but seing as i spent 3 solid weeks just playing multiplayer last christmas/january and seeing as i just bought it last week (IM SO SORRY ACTIVISION) i thought i should count it as one of my games of the year...also i put them in no necessary order...

GTA3 would not run properly and my pc is solid......i guess it lost its appeal after i paid 40 quid for it and it basically told me to go f**k myself.....

Soul Caliber 1 was so good....that is THE best fighting game i have ever played...couldnt get used to 2 though...

Just one question...how many of you like medieval....and how is it such a good game...considering some of the supposed games activision have released lately i am so surprised that i could be playing a game for over a year....

GTA3 would not run properly and my pc is solid......i guess it lost its appeal after i paid 40 quid for it and it basically told me to go f**k myself.....
    did you turn trails off, try patching it, or try running it in 16 bit colour (it's jerky as hell on any of the 32bit modes on my pc, vice city is perfect though:confused: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ][Dermington][

I tried everything...it doesnt matter tho...true though Vice city even ran on my p3 500 with a geforce2 m 400....solid going there...it ran unbelievably on my p4 as well...so i was truly happy with that....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Think I'm probably on my own with this one but my fav game of this year was Splinter Cell on the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I agree with dogboy I think Silent Hill 3 deserves it. That and Zelda, Soul calibur 2, Vice City and Virtua Fighter 4 Evo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I hadnt played my consoles pretty much since i got my P.C, but after replaying Zelda and Metroid for the past few days i just gotta say..absolutely magic. They get my vote for console games of the year.
    As for P.C games..Definitely Max Payne 2, BF1942, CoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Metroid Prime get's my vote - although I still havn't played Mario Kart, Viewtiful Joe or F-Zero GX. But they couldn't be as good as Metroid.

Zelda:WW comes a close second...

Been a prety slow year for PC games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The official Praetorian top 10 ;)

10 = Kuri Kuri Kurin. Fun fun fun, with a line?!?!

09 = Mario Kart (GC). Great multiplayer. Silly single player.

08 = NFS Underground. My current love at first crash.

07 = Elite Force 2. Pretty good for a trek game.

06 = Homeworld 2. Disappointing compared to the first one, but still quite excellent!

05 = Tron 2.0. Different and fun, nice looking too.

04 = Call of Duty. A million times better than Breakthrough.

My top 3 was difficult to choose…

03 = Metroid Prime. The second best console FPS after Halo. Sexy Samus, drool ;)

02 = Vice City. Replaybility 10, fun 10, graphics 8, sound n music 8, originality 6. Those Scottish guys really know how to make games!! :D

01 = Max Payne 2. Great story, bullet time, Mona Sex (a?). Poor ending sequence, but otherwise an excellent game :D

I'm going to kick my self later on when I remember other games ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry Praetorian but kuri kuri kurin was a GBA launch title and therefore wasn't out this year, so you'll have to fill in number ten again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

This is my game of the year punk! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Freelancer for me :)
    Even after completing it there is lots to do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

For me it has to be Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. So true to it's heritage yet so original.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with you, amp. Prince of Persia was very short (8½ hours to finish according to the ingame timer, add a couple of hours to that for retries etc.). Finished it yesterday, and I'm going to start it again today. There aren't too many games out there that you want to play through twice in succession......

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

True, there are games that I played longer. Kotor and Vice city being my other two favourites, but PoP isn't so much a game as a piece of art shining in the desert.

Size isn't everything ;)

i would dearly love to say metroid prime, its just not doing it for me. (i 've got 90% items and i just can't be arsed getting past the
    omega pirate
    )

i'd say max payne 2 or vice city have provided most of my favourite gaming moments this year, i can't decide which i love more...

Originally posted by Boberto
    Freelancer for me :)
    Even after completing it there is lots to do
    yeah?
    it got so goddamned tedious for me after finishing it.
    "go to point a, kill the bad guy, return to base" repeat ad infinitum.

the 2 hidden systems were cool tho:D
    a bit of a spoiler...

/edit
    hmmm, that must make me sound like a hypocrite, given my previous post in this thread...
    still, that was before i'd play mp2 or metroid prime...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Prince of Persia gets my vote, just edging out Pro Evolution 3 and Crimsom Skies (awesome on Live!).

The best game I've played this year however, is Morrowind, but that was released in 2002. I can't wait for the new Game of the Year Edition on Xbox now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    but i still think silent hill 3 deserves some sort of mention

I thought Silent Hill 3 was the best game. All the silent hills are great! The horror saga is addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Just started playing POP after christmas and its cool. I'm at the bit where I have to meet yer wan at the baths. I love the whole running up and along the walls thing, it's genius. Fighting isn't very exciting in it though. Very good, but didn't make me prematurely spooge my pants like metroid did.

Advertisement