Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

How many transmitters are transmitting RTE DAB?
    I used to get it but no longer.

Looking at NI DAB and see that BBC R1, R2, R4 are using 128kbps, MP2 audio codex. BBC R3 is using 160kbps, MP2. While the same stations on Roberts internet radio is BBCR1 128kbps WMA, BBCR3 320kbps WMA
    Is WMA the same as MP3 or AAC?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

R3 & Lyric should be 256K MP2
    No stereo station less than 192K. R3 used to be 912K

It's pathetic. 128K is only suitable for 24KHz sample rate mono limited to 10KHz

• Registered Users Posts: 15,493 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Yes, so I gather but when ?

There's no reason now for NI not to have Digital One

Your posts on this over the years came to mind when I read the following yesterday
    Ofcom has today published a consultation on Digital One’s application to extend the coverage area of its national DAB radio multiplex to include Northern Ireland.

Under the Digital Economy Act 2010, Digital One is entitled to extend the coverage of its licensed area, subject to consultation. The proposed coverage extension will bring new UK commercial stations to the area.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/extending-dab-services-NI/?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dab-NI

Digital One will be ready to launch its multiplex within 6 months of Ofcom approval. They propose to provide coverage using six transmitters, at Divis, Carnmoney Hill, Londonderry, Brougher Mountain, Strabane and Limavady on Channel 11D, the same frequency used in England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The Cush wrote: »
    Your posts on this over the years came to mind when I read the following yesterday

Digital One will be ready to launch its multiplex within 6 months of Ofcom approval. They propose to provide coverage using six transmitters, at Divis, Carnmoney Hill, Londonderry, Brougher Mountain, Strabane and Limavady on Channel 11D, the same frequency used in England and Wales.

Well, at last something positive.

I also notice they've highlighted the fact that since some Digital One services are carried on the local multiplex (e.g. Classic FM, Talksport, and UCB) this means extra stations will become available.

Can't see anything happening before September/October at the earliest though.

My friend got a DAB radio in his car and I noticed there is 2 MUXs from south. We were driving thru the Mourne in Co Down.
    Ireland MUX 1 and Ireland MUX 2.
    I already had MUX 1 at home but not MUX 2, 12A, so I tune that in and found it is a DAB+
    DAB+ Test 1
    DAB+ Test 2
    Love Radio+
    All 80s+
    Raidio Ri-Ra+
    UBC+
    Love Radio
    All 80s
    Raidio Ri-Ra
    UBC
    I can't hear any audio sound from any channels with +, so I assume the car DAB radio is not DAB+ compatible
    I can hear audio from other channels without +
    Can anyone else getting sound from the DAB+ or is the test off at the moment?

• Advertisement

Souriau wrote: »
    My friend got a DAB radio in his car and I noticed there is 2 MUXs from south. We were driving thru the Mourne in Co Down.
    I already had MUX 1 at home but not MUX 2, 12A, so I tune that in and found it is a DAB+

Trial Mux launched last summer - http://www.dbdb.ie/minister-launches-trial/, announced this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

DAB+ Test 1
    DAB+ Test 2
    Love Radio+
    All 80s+
    Raidio Ri-Ra+
    UBC+
    Love Radio
    All 80s
    Raidio Ri-Ra
    UBC
    I can't hear any audio sound from any channels with +, so I assume the car DAB radio is not DAB+ compatible
    I can hear audio from other channels without +
    Can anyone else getting sound from the DAB+ or is the test off at the moment?
    I didn't think you would be able to pick up the dbdb trial that far north.

Which transmitter is the DAB+ trial is coming from?

Which transmitter is the DAB+ trial is coming from?

Three-Rock

Bauer are looking for interested parties to take up space on the NI local DAB multiplex:http://radiotoday.co.uk/bauer-digital-radio/?utm_source=MadMimi&utm_medium=email&utm_content=24+hours+in+radio__+with+Wise+Buddah+Jingles%3A+Kiss+re-launches+its+digital+media+player&utm_campaign=20130325_m115552598_24+hours+in+radio_&utm_term=Loca+DAB+capacity+available+from+Bauer+
    Bauer Digital Radio

Interested in operating a DAB digital radio service?

Unique Opportunity to secure local DAB capacityBauer Digital Radio has just one remaining channel** available across our twelve local multiplexes. Expressions of interest are now invited for the unique opportunity to use some or all of this capacity for sound or data services.

The twelve multiplexes are in the following areas;Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, Preston, Tyne & Wear, Teesside, Sheffield, Leeds, Humberside, *Northern Ireland, *Dundee & Perth, *InvernessNew contracts will run for a period of up to 12 years.

To express interest and obtain an enquiry form, please contact Bauer Digital Radio by email no later than 8th April 2013bauer.dab@bauermedia.co.uk

**Up to 112kb/84CU stereo*Additional capacity is available in these areas

I presume this is due to Classic FM, Talksport, Kiss, and UCB all moving to Digital One when it starts in a few months time ?

• Advertisement

"Ofcom has today announced the approval of a request from Digital One Ltd to extend the coverage area of the national digital radio multiplex licence so that it also includes Northern Ireland, following a consultation."

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/extending-dab-services-NI/statement/?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ni-statement

The Cush wrote: »
    "Ofcom has today announced the approval of a request from Digital One Ltd to extend the coverage area of the national digital radio multiplex licence so that it also includes Northern Ireland, following a consultation."

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/extending-dab-services-NI/statement/?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ni-statement[/QUOTE]

Things are moving on apace then.

I wonder if the network will all come on at once or will it be phased in ?

Looking forward to a start date now.

Digital One switch on in NI confirmed for late summer:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/news/display.asp?searchnews=&year=&id=396

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amazing Radio are joining DAB in Ireland according to its CEO

http://www.thevpme.com/2013/05/13/amazing-radio-returns-to-dab/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheVonPipMusicalExpress+(The+Von+Pip+Musical+Express)
    In the past year we have continually asked ourselves ‘in the digital age do you really need to be on the actual radio to make the concept of amazing Radio work?’ We have massively improved our online service, building our own streaming servers and introducing a timeshift function, so if you miss the start of a show and want to hear it anyway, or if you are in California and want to hear our breakfast show at breakfast time in LA, you can. We’ve also been improving mobile apps – the new version goes out this week – and this week we are also launching ‘genre streams’ online which are 24×7 streams of ambient, EDM, rock, the Amazing Chart and so on. We’ll keep on building out those services to give musicians more promotion and listeners more opportunities to find fantastic new music. But one of the things that has became abundantly clear since we’ve been off air is that people really, really want us to be on the radio. To be honest that kind of surprised me, as I thought maybe the iPod/iPhone generation might not be that fussed, but they are, people really want it back. So that’s what we’re doing. And it now won’t be a surprise to hear that our plan is to be on the radio in as many places as possible. This week, it’s London, and we go on air in Dublin in a couple of days. We’ll keep trying to satisfy the national UK demand. And amazing Radio will be on the air in America pretty soon.

They played a tune by me yesterday! :)

I wonder what multiplex they will be broadcasting on in Dublin? I suppose it will be DB Digital Broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Certainly will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is great news for people in Three Rock.

They have DAB Radios in any supermarket & department store now like Tesco's, Argos or Debenhams. You will find that it is reasonably priced to buy one; say one for between €30 to €50.

One recommendation is not to go into the BOSE shop in Dundrum Town Centre if you buying one on the cheap. I was in there about 2 years ago. The rate they were charging for DAB Radios with subwoofers (and the like) was astronomical.

You would pay up to €1,000 in there to get one of them. It really is outrageous what they charge in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

This is great news for people in Three Rock.

They have DAB Radios in any supermarket & department store now like Tesco's, Argos or Debenhams. You will find that it is reasonably priced to buy one; say one for between €30 to €50.

One recommendation is not to go into the BOSE shop in Dundrum Town Centre if you buying one on the cheap. I was in there about 2 years ago. The rate they were charging for DAB Radios with subwoofers (and the like) was astronomical.

You would pay up to €1,000 in there to get one of them. It really is outrageous what they charge in there.

Pity us country bumpkins can't avail of the same service. No dab in Munster, except for those living in Cork, Limerick and Waterford cities. I can't understand why dab can't be powered up from Mullaganish and indeed Mount Leinster, which would give DAB radio to pretty much all of Munster and Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

galtee boy wrote: »
    I can't understand why dab can't be powered up from Mullaganish and indeed Mount Leinster, which would give DAB radio to pretty much all of Munster and Leinster.

......agreed, and Maghera.(Don't forget those of us living in Clare)!

I had a sharp DAB Radio which i bought in the UK ended up selling it at a car boot sale as i can't receive DAB where i am. Not going to buy another one until DAB is up and running fully. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I had a sharp DAB Radio which i bought in the UK ended up selling it at a car boot sale as i can't receive DAB where i am. Not going to buy another one until DAB is up and running fully. :mad:

Oh dear, Hard luck to you than. If you kept it yourself for another year or so you would have saved yourself a few quid.

Did it have a lot of station presets on it? Was it expensive to buy in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭decies

Nothing amazing by DAB in Ireland mike dead in the water . Internet is our past present and future way to go.

If you ever buy another one make sure it's DAB+. Many UK DAB radiios (particularly the Roberts models) are standard DAB, so useless for the commercial multiplex in Dublin and Cork. The newer Pure radio mow have DAB+ as standard.

decies wrote: »
    Nothing amazing by DAB in Ireland mike dead in the water . Internet is our past present and future way to go.

Yep, probably is for many parts of Ireland both north and south.

The only problem is you're tied to your broadband connection, so once you move away from the house that's it, or in the event of a power cut when the broadband fails.

If we had subscription free internet radios running off the 3G (or 4G ?) or mobile broadband network that would be different matter.

Does the technology exist for this type of scenario ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Spare Bowler

I have a "Roberts Stream 83i" at least 2 years. It does not say on it that it is DAB+ but it receives all DAB+ stations on MUX 2 in Dublin. I heard that most DAB radios with wifi also have DAB+.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Crystalset wrote: »
    <Help with Stream 83i icon_post_target.gifby angryofmayfair » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:53 pm

<< Roberts UK told me the DAB section of the radio would not work in Australia as we have the DAB+ system, also they informed me that it was not firmware upgradable to receive the DAB+ format, as can be done with the Pure brand...

Well, it seems they were wrong as in fact the Stream 83i that I brought back with me picks up all the DAB+ stations with no problem and with excellent fidelity - a bonus! >>

This guy lives in Melbourne where all DAB is the + variety so it's hard to see how he could be mistaken.

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/australia.html#Melbourne

The Spare Bowler's post confirms the above.

I have a "Roberts Stream 83i" at least 2 years. It does not say on it that it is DAB+ but it receives all DAB+ stations on MUX 2 in Dublin. I heard that most DAB radios with wifi also have DAB+.

Then it's more than likely it was bought in the ROI and not the UK. European versions of Roberts DAB radios are DAB+, as far as I'm aware, but not the UK models.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Then it's more than likely it was bought in the ROI and not the UK. European versions of Roberts DAB radios are DAB+, as far as I'm aware, but not the UK models.

Quote from yournetradio.com :

Help with Stream 83i

icon_post_target.gifby angryofmayfair » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:53 pm
    Hi, or should I say 'g'day as I'm an expat living in Melbourne Australia.
    During my recent holiday to UK I saw, heard and fell in love with the Stream 83i.
    I ended up buying one as the UK price is so good compared with buying a Roberts Radio in Australia where most of them sell for around $500 and the Stream 83i is not as yet released here anyway...
    Roberts UK told me the DAB section of the radio would not work in Australia as we have the DAB+ system, also they informed me that it was not firmware upgradable to receive the DAB+ format, as can be done with the Pure brand...
    Well, it seems they were wrong as in fact the Stream 83i that I brought back with me picks up all the DAB+ stations with no problem and with excellent fidelity - a bonus!
    (Not that the Aussie stations are worth listening to, even in DAB+ quality icon_e_wink.gif )

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nah I think they're all DAB+, just not mentioned on UK site because they don't use DAB+.

There was a site that used to list internet radios and what chipsets they had and relevant functionality, but damned if I can find it now. I had used it in the past to see if my Stream83i (which uses a DAB+ compatible Frontier Silicon chipset) supported DAB+ not that I can get any sort of DAB in south Donegal :(

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    Nah I think they're all DAB+, just not mentioned on UK site because they don't use DAB+.

This site indicates that they may not be DAB+ - http://www.digicomparison.com/portableplus.html#Roberts
    Note that in most cases, the UK versions of these receivers will NOT be DAB+ capable.

Advertisement