Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

From what little I have read Dab+ is the intended transmission ...... using AAC codec in place of MP2 I think.

Tests are apparently being carried out in both formats at least by some carriers.

http://www.totalbroadcast.net/DAB.html

For RTE DAB reception a UK spec standard DAB radio will work just fine. It's the future adaptation of independent dab broadcasts that will likely be DAB+ in line with Australia, Germany, Switzerland, etc so buying a DAB+ radio would be wise if you had the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This is OT - I've been getting Radio 1 on 90.2 FM the last few days,where's this from ? Did they put an FM Tx on Kilduff ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Justin Case III

This is OT - I've been getting Radio 1 on 90.2 FM the last few days,where's this from ? Did they put an FM Tx on Kilduff ?

Is there a corresponding rte 2fm on 92.4 ? Maybe not thats a RnaG freq from Mullaghanish.

I never listen to 2fm, so I'm not familar with the local freqs., but there seems to be a similar strength signal on 91.3

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Radio 1 is on 90 from Mullaghanish, 2FM is on 91.3 from Kippure. Maybe its atmospherics sending the signal further than normal.

• Advertisement

I can get Kippure here too, as I said I don't listen to 2FM but 90.2 for Radio 1 is a new freq. so I'm guessing Kilduff

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Looking at the Roberts stream 83i DAB/Internet radio at the moment.

Would I be better hold off and wait for a DAB+/Internet radio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Satts wrote: »

Both the Pure Evoke Flow and Pure One Flow have DAB+

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

I have not seen further verification for the link below. However I believe the 83i is a better internet radio than Pure Flow.

http://www.yournetradio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97

Crystalset wrote: »
    I have not seen further verification for the link below. However I believe the 83i is a better internet radio than Pure Flow.

http://www.yournetradio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97

But it can't receive DAB+ as far as I'm aware, a problem for someone living in the ROI (unless there's a European model).

• Advertisement

<Help with Stream 83i icon_post_target.gifby angryofmayfair » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:53 pm

<< Roberts UK told me the DAB section of the radio would not work in Australia as we have the DAB+ system, also they informed me that it was not firmware upgradable to receive the DAB+ format, as can be done with the Pure brand...

Well, it seems they were wrong as in fact the Stream 83i that I brought back with me picks up all the DAB+ stations with no problem and with excellent fidelity - a bonus! >>

This guy lives in Melbourne where all DAB is the + variety so it's hard to see how he could be mistaken.

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/australia.html#Melbourne

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a chance that they've changed chipset at some point.

Satts wrote: »

What download speed would I need to sucessfully get internet radio from the Roberts 83i ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That depends on the bandwidth of the stream you're trying to listen to. Most good quality internet streams are at least 128k.

Most broadband connections will support that - there's something wrong if it doesn't!

A.

Maybe there is a 83i owner in the South East who could check DAB+ reception from the Total Broadcast test transmission.

alinton wrote: »
    That depends on the bandwidth of the stream you're trying to listen to. Most good quality internet streams are at least 128k.

Most broadband connections will support that - there's something wrong if it doesn't!

A.

My broadband is nominally 3Mb/s, but when I test on speedtest.net it varies between 1.3 and 1.8 Mb/s, occasionally it can be over the 2 and get close to 3 Mb/s.

Just wondering if I would be ok at 1.3 Mb/s ?

Also I emailed Roberts and they replied and said the 83i will accept DAB+.

That's fine, 128k is 0.13Mb so even at its slowest your broadband is 10 times faster than required. Just beware if you have a download limit and decide to leave the radio on all day! :eek:

Thanks Satts for chasing up Roberts & confirming what was stated in my previous post. I gave a friend in Galway a 83i set, told him he would receive
    DAB(+) when (if?) the service is extended country wide. Then I thought perhaps the system will be DAB+ & the radio does DAB only.

FM & DAB are handy if your ISP contract has a download limit, as mentioned by bkehoe.

One thing I have noticed is that the Roberts has gone up in price, I think I paid £115 on Amazon, now £135.00 16 months on. A sign of its popularity,no doubt (+ vat increase).

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Got a present of a Roberts radio RD-45 When the Dab service started nationwide some while back and still waiting for Mahera to have the service.Does anyone know if they will put DAB on the the new mast they are building.? The audio quality on FM is superb so i would love to be able to hear it on DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

huggs2 wrote: »
    Got a present of a Roberts radio RD-45 When the Dab service started nationwide some while back and still waiting for Mahera to have the service.Does anyone know if they will put DAB on the the new mast they are building.? The audio quality on FM is superb so i would love to be able to hear it on DAB.
    I don't think RTE have any plans to add DAB to Maghera for the forseeable future but you never know. It would be great if they added DAB while they are upgrading the transmitter at the moment.

• Advertisement

Maybe there is a 83i owner in the South East who could check DAB+ reception from the Total Broadcast test transmission

I've a funny feeling there are European versions of Roberts radios that do have DAB + as far as I'm aware.

All Roberts and Pure radios these days have USB ports though so presuimabely the sets could be upgraded to DAB + via a sotware update, should the UK ever go down that route.

I don't think any of the Roberts range of internet or DAB radios sold in the UK at present have DAB +.

Apart from the Pure Evoke Flow and Pure One Flow, there are a number of other sets sold by Pure that do have DAB +. All new Pure Radios being released do seem to support DAB +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That's right, all current Pure models support DAB+, as a rule of thumb if it has WiFi it also supports DAB+.

Some of the older ones, like the Highway, can be upgraded to DAB+ too.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

absolutely brutal UK signal for the last few day down here in Gorey, is anyone else experiencing the same?

Can't say I've ever been successful in getting UK DAB in my car around Gorey other than at the south end of the bypass. However the SE Dab trial coverage around Gorey was the same as normal on Friday anyway, becoming weak and burbly north of Aske Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

FreeView has been crap around Arklow /Gorey due to weird weather. Couldn't get RTÉ Arklow because of Caradon Hill 200Km away!

Now that the analogue TV switch off in the ROI is now official (24th October 2012) will this mean NI will at last get Digital One ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Now that the analogue TV switch off in the ROI is now official (24th October 2012) will this mean NI will at last get Digital One ?

They don't appear to be interested in NI coverage, this from an Ofcom consultation a few months ago
    Following the passing of the Digital Economy Act, it is open to Digital One to request to extend its licence to cover Northern Ireland.

As yet, Digital One has not applied to extend its licence to Northern Ireland or discussed the detail of the sites in Northern Ireland with service providers (i.e. the owners of stations and services on Digital One).

The Cush wrote: »
    They don't appear to be interested in NI coverage, this from an Ofcom consultation a few months ago

GRRRRRRR

Must drop an email to Digital One to see why.

Posted on Digitalspy:

Proposed Digital One sites for NI:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/dab-coverage-planning/annexes/annex-d.pdf

The proposed improvements and additional sites are documented in section 1.1.The sites listed include several sites in Northern Ireland. As yet, Digital One have not discussed the detail of the sites in Northern Ireland with service providers (i.e. the owners of stations and services on Digital One). However, once the process of defining the list as a whole is at amore advanced stage, Digital One will look at ways of working with its customers to switch onthose sites as an initial stage of the process of expanding the network.

Northern Ireland: Divis, Londonderry (Derry), Armagh, Maddybenny More, Camlough,Carnmoney Hill.

Interesting.

• Advertisement

Also, just noticed this on Digital One's website:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/futuretransmitters/
    Due to a recent change in the law, there is also a specific possibility that Digital One will extend coverage to Northern Ireland.

So, an extension into the province does appear to be a real possibilty, especially after next October.

35+ stations on DAB would be a great improvement from what we have at the moment.

Advertisement