Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing programs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey
    Have to make a five minute youtube video for a class in college, and looking for recommendations on what software to use. I'd just be looking for something where you can use still and video clips, that allows you to dub over and lay audio tracks in the background.

Also there are av courses in my college (DIT), so undoubtedly there are pro software packages installed on some of the pc's.

thanks in advance.

edit: Just to say, I got the latest version of sony vegas on trial and have found it very user friendly. Doing the job perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just found this - This seems to do the job nicely for just editing basic XVIDs ..
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Morning

I'd go with vegas as well, it's top notch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bloox

go for sony vegas ,an old one but still a goodie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

Apples Final Cut Pro is the best editing software. Avid is industry standard but it made me want to tear my hair out its so overly complicated. Adobes Premiere is a close second to FCP.

For less complicated software Sony Vegas is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 twopoint0

the software i use is power director, which costs about €100.. its good for basic editing with many features, allowing you to produce decent videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sirsok

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey
    Have to make a five minute youtube video for a class in college, and looking for recommendations on what software to use. I'd just be looking for something where you can use still and video clips, that allows you to dub over and lay audio tracks in the background.

Also there are av courses in my college (DIT), so undoubtedly there are pro software packages installed on some of the pc's.

thanks in advance.

edit: Just to say, I got the latest version of sony vegas on trial and have found it very user friendly. Doing the job perfectly.

hey man i find windows movie maker to be pretty decent for basic stuff.
    heres a link to something i made which turned out ok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmAyIrFlERM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dr shami

i use adobe premiere cs4 ,
    and it is good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm using iMovie, and love it's basic-ness, as well as the "Upload to youTube" feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tiir

Avid had a free lite version called Avid FREE DV. It only had two layers of video and two audio and only 4:3 but it cost nothing and would run on any normal computer with fire wire. It would be a great way to see if you liked the look and feel of avid. It might still be available somewhere for downloading.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

i was looking for software and after loading avid I found out my video card was not up to it. So anyone looking for simple editing without breaking the bank nero 9 does the job. Works with older PC's but check requirments yourself. free trail before you buy.

Good luck and happy editing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 webmatrix

Final Cut Pro is the best and it's not to difficult to get used to. If you don't have a Mac I guess Premiere is best although I found it quite difficult to learn compared to FCP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Danaradams

You can guide me about the latest editing programs and name of the place from where i could purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So what program should i use for editing .mts files?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ana_conda

Final Cut on MAC ...I've never had any problem ...its a winner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

yea the mac stuff is better than the PC stuff...

I use Pinnacle and its grand but there is a good feel about the WMM that you can use ealisy and fast when doig simple videos....

whats the best free editor?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ShotgunBoy

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 atm but I'm thinking of getting Adobe Premiere Pro and Avid. I want to study Film and Television Production in college so I was thinking I might as well get used to what I'll be working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Also have a look at Edius. It is very fast to work with. I use this as my fulltime editor.

I personally find it so much easier than PP3. It is a rock solid real time editor

You can get the lite version Edius Neo 2.5 for about €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

Soundtrack Pro for sound to picture and Garageband for mixing music and podcasting work fine for me on mac.

A lot of the radio stations use Cool Edit Pro for editing sound bites and short pieces. Obviously Pro Tools LE is the preferred setup for most professional radio production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 faz

Hi,

Can anyone help, i need a lesson in sony vegas 8 or 9.
    i am based in dublin, iwill pay.

thanks,

feargal

• Advertisement

If you want the value for money and you are planning to do some serious editing then go for Edius Neo 2.5 . This the same engine as the Edius 5.5 which is about €1000, obviously with a few bits missing (but not alot).

This never crashes, you can mix any format in the timeline. It is a little gem.

I cant recommend this enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Miguele1

I used SONY Vegas Pro 9.0, that's great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Mihalna

Still working in Adobe Premiere Pro )))) Still with Matrox. Dreaming to buy a MacBook and work with Final Cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheVoid

for a mp3-cut programm search for "mp3DirectCut" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

For beginners, windows movie maker is hard to beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I am an amateur, an absolute beginner, looking for a basic editing program. I have 2 cheap camcorders that record in .mov format - a Kodak Zx1 which does decent outdoor or well lit video but not so great sound and a Zoom Q3 which does great sound for the money, but awful video.

I recorded an amateur concert with both cameras. What I want to do is merge the video from the Zx1 with the audio from the Q3. The software that came with the Q3 will separate the sound and video. I also want to break the concert down into individual songs.

Each 20 minutes of video is 1GB in size. I want to compress this for the web. Would there be anything free out there?

Also, I have a separate .aif audio file of the concert that again I want to break up into individual mp3 and cd audio files. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

shayser wrote: »
    I am an amateur, an absolute beginner, looking for a basic editing program. I have 2 cheap camcorders that record in .mov format - a Kodak Zx1 which does decent outdoor or well lit video but not so great sound and a Zoom Q3 which does great sound for the money, but awful video.

I recorded an amateur concert with both cameras. What I want to do is merge the video from the Zx1 with the audio from the Q3. The software that came with the Q3 will separate the sound and video. I also want to break the concert down into individual songs.

Each 20 minutes of video is 1GB in size. I want to compress this for the web. Would there be anything free out there?

Also, I have a separate .aif audio file of the concert that again I want to break up into individual mp3 and cd audio files. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    QuickTime Pro did most of what I needed.

TommyGun wrote: »
    If you want the value for money and you are planning to do some serious editing then go for Edius Neo 2.5 . This the same engine as the Edius 5.5 which is about €1000, obviously with a few bits missing (but not alot).

This never crashes, you can mix any format in the timeline. It is a little gem.

I cant recommend this enough.

Selling the latest Edius Neo 2.5 for €180. usually €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brightmix

Wow! I’ve never heard of this before and I think they’re awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Michael Doherty

Mihalna wrote: »
    Still working in Adobe Premiere Pro )))) Still with Matrox. Dreaming to buy a MacBook and work with Final Cut

I work with Premiere and Final Cut and there's no such big difference

Advertisement