Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedge??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Having had our grounds done last year I said I'd post our experiences for Irish1. I nearly dropped my coffee cup when I read the €14,000. Our grounds are also on 1 acre and the layout is pretty much the same as your scan.

First thing we had done were curbs. Our grounds were on a slope so we knew we would need loads of top soil. You need to have your curbs in before your top soil goes in. If your only spreading top soil this may not be as much of a concern (make sure the grass underneath is killed off just before. You might want to consider turning the soil. Our curbs cost approx £2 per curb.

We shopped around for quotes for the machine work (digger and such). We did not use a landscape gardener as they were about 3 times more expensive than the quotes we got for JCB/Digger and driver hire. We got 3 quotes. 2 were competative and broke down as follows:

1. Grounds excavated and leveled & top soil provided (approx 15-20 loads). Stones removed with stone picking machine. Lawn completely seeded. €4K

2. Grounds excavated and leveled. Top soil @ €120 per load. Loose shale dropped on driveway €100 per load. Grounds left to be raked and seeded. Digger + driver hire €20ph. Truck hire for dropping of soil €10ph. Approx €3K

We went with option 2 which I later regreted (explained later). It was hard to judge amount of top soil needed but we estimated 15-20 loads which would leave a gradual slope at the back (which would be good for drainage). The guy who gave us option 2 was excellent. He had a guy in for 5 days at which time all the grounds were done but in the end we needed more top soil which brought us up to the €3K. He dropped the shale for free.

We now needed to seed the lawn. I raked the front to what I thought would be ok and nearly killed myself. If your not used to it or do not know what your doing forget it. We got a neighbour (landscape gardener) who ripped us off. We gave him €500 to rake and seed (we provide seed) front and back. Great deal we thought :rolleyes: . We had to arrange a power rotavator and tractor for the back (€100) & a tractor and roller for front and back. He did about 1 days work as the machinary we hired did the work for him. He made a fúck of the back as he picked no stones.

Anyway... that was it. Sorry for ranting on but for €3,500 we had our lawns completed (plus seed - grade 2 front and back total about €100). For the same job a landscape gardener would have been approx €7K. Option 1 would have been approx €500 more but I felt a better job would have been done.

Headging will be completed hopefully next Sept/Oct and I estimate it will cost approx €1500 for beech/mixed for a 1 acre boudary.

My one word of advice would be make sure you are 100% happy with the work done before you hand over the cash. There are too many cowboys out there that will do a half assed job for the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks a million for the advice daveg.

I'm meeting with the new landscaper tomorrow to try and thrash out a deal.

Basically what I decided now is that the lanscaper will do the following:

Rake and sow lawn, put in the beech hedge, and do the planting around the patio, in front of the house and other small planting areas.

I have a Hi-Mac and driver coming in 3 weeks to do the following, move marle that is on site to raise the level of the patio to the required height, level site to my levels to ensure there will be no surface water. Level top soil that is on site. Spread and track 806 hardcore.

We have decided to do away with the driveway all round the house. This leaves 670m2 of driveway, now thats a big area and at €30m2 thats €20,000!!!!!!. So we'r rethinking the driveway.

DaveG what driveway have you or are you intending putting down?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

No worries irish1 glad I can be of help.

Firstly (and I don't mean to genralise) I would be very wary of landscapers. In my experience and from advice we were given they tend to be expensive and sometimes ridiculously so. I even heard that some landscapers have so much work they price everything at a really high price as they can pick and choose jobs. I'm not saying all or even the magority are like that but just passing on my experiences. As I said our guy screwed us and did a very bad job.
    Rake and sow lawn, put in the beech hedge, and do the planting around the patio, in front of the house and other small planting areas.

For the price the landscaper will charge you to rake and sow the lawn could hire a power rotavator and tractor, after the hi-mac has been in, to level the soil, turn up all the stones. All you need to do then is pick the large stones and rake it level. From what I've seen the rotavator does all the hard work. You can then get a tractor with a roller to roll the grounds after seeding.
    DaveG what driveway have you or are you intending putting down?

Origionally we had very rough stones around the drive. After we had the grounds done we got 3 lorry loads (€100 per load approx) of fine shale dropped. The guys used the JCB to spread the shale. We were told to wait a few years before tarmacing the drive to let the drive "settle".

Any other Q's let me know. If you want to chat for advice let me know and I'll PM my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveg
    First thing we had done were curbs.
    Common mistake. Do you mean "kerbs" - the bits at the edges of roads and paths?
    Originally posted by daveg
    Origionally we had very rough stones around the drive. After we had the grounds done we got 3 lorry loads (€100 per load approx) of fine shale dropped. The guys used the JCB to spread the shale. We were told to wait a few years before tarmacing the drive to let the drive "settle".
    Alternatively you can get a vibrating compactor (yes "vibrator") to do the job in a day or two. You should be able to get them from a builders' hire place.

Thanks again daveg,

The new landscaper is friend of a friend and meant to be very good, but I'm not going to go throwing money at him, so I'l let you know how tommorrow's meeting go's. I would do a lot more work myself but can't due to time constraints. The auld got broke up in a car accident years ago so he can't do anything so, he wants to get a nice job done that will be as low maintenace as possible.

The other landscaper had the lawn at €1500, which I don't think would be expensive at all.

The drive is a big worry at the moment, the price is going to be very very high.

Thanks again DaveG .

Victor I called roadstone and there Drivestone paving is €20m2 including Vat. Just wondering if you had any idea what the charge for installing it would be??

• Advertisement

Originally posted by irish1
    Victor I called roadstone and there Drivestone paving is €20m2 including Vat. Just wondering if you had any idea what the charge for installing it would be??
    Account holders will get a discount from Roadstone - see if you can set up an account and buy the hardcore sand and bricks from them.

I don't know the Drivestone range, but if it is a brick type product, I would guess €15/m2 on top of the cost of hardcore underneath (add for kerbs, cutting, special patterns, mixed colours, etc.). That’s €20,000, so I suggest you only do the bits you need to do (slopes, paths and front of house and parking hardstandings - all areas that get that extra bit of wear and tear). When evaluating any prices make sure you are happy the guy will lay them flat and compact the hardcore / bricks properly for you, otherwise they just settle with time, wear and rain.

Be wary of any edge that is likely to receive repeated bashing - they eventually dip, if the edge isn't set in concrete.

Found link http://www.roadstone.ie/resources/pdfs/Drivestone.pdf

Thanks Victor,

I had printed off that pdf file along with the bergarac one, there nice but expensive.

Tar and chippings are what the alterative appear to be theres a name on it but I can't remember it, any idea on the cost of that.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1195260#post1195260

There are quite a few specifications you can go by, from cheap and nasty Tarmac (tends to retain some stickiness over tiem to asphalt). Just get a few quotews from reputable installers.

Not sure on thinkness though, motorways can easily be 400mm think, car parks 200mm, you you are probably looking at 75mm or less, not my speciality. At home the resurfaced (in addition to existing) the cul-de-sac outside my parents house with 20mm and much of it had come off within 10 years.

New lanscaper said 12,000!! excluding the sleepers fro the front so thats about 13-14k!!

Went back to the first landscaper and he's doing a revised price with my changes to the plan. Will be interesting to see what it comes to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Just a quick thought u might wanna consider at this stage.
    Might be worth bearing wheelchair access in mind, if not for you think about
    elderly relatives or friends or simply the possibilities future.
    Personally, I have relatives whos houses I have never even seen because Id never make it in there on my chair and it would make them feel terrible if I tried.

Can be done in simple ways that make no relative difference to cost and wont detract from the look in any way.
    On that point, gravel drives etc are a "nightmare" for wheelchairs, impossible to get thru without getting stuck in.

B :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your post, the house interior is fully wheel chair freindly, all doors are wider, all switches are lower etc.

I take your point about the driveway, my da is on crutches at the moment but in years to come he may be in a chair. He wants to put down the tar and chippings now and then if he ends up in a wheelchair and finds it tough he will tarmacadam the drive.

Advertisement