Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your ONLINE name (part ducks)

Options
  • 19-09-2000 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

this thread was closed last time so no shanagans! eek.gif

Since peeps thing I chose my name cos they think I'm a facist, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

the meaning of the name is twofold.

First : i like stratedgy games, and generally use blitzkrieg style tactics. Like once, playing Civ2 I captured 142 enemy cities in one year. Took seven hours though eek.gif

Second : a Blitzkrieger was an elite SS stormtrooper who generally went in ahead of the main attack to disrupt the enemy defenses, which suits my style of play in TFC down to the bone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Bard: I write stuff.
    Barred: never been. wink.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Fridays 9:30 RTE1 biggrin.gif

You can call me Al!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HUGE FAT HAIRY FÚCKER.

Ok, huge and fat anyway.

John

[This message has been edited by Lump (edited 19-09-2000).]

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yeah John - I'm the HUGE, FAT, HAIRY one.

Kharn - from Warhammer 40,000 (Games Workshop tabletop game). He's a Chaos Space Marine Commander called Kharn the Betrayer (cause he went around killing all his own men after he ran out of enemies to kill). It suited me cause when I first started playing Quake and we used to play team battles in college, I always killed my own team to biggrin.gif

mad.gifBLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!! mad.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

A bard could also be a minstrel, who was quite happy to sit in a tree and made up poems and stories while strumming on something, while the rest of the band of mental blood-crazed warriors he was attatched to went off and ruthlessly slaughtered the enemy or got ruthlessly slaughtered by them. Not to suggest that I'm a happy camper or anything wink.gif ... *ahem* biggrin.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sico. Sicko + psycho. 'nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    this thread was closed last time so no shanagans! eek.gif

Since peeps thing I chose my name cos they think I'm a facist, I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

the meaning of the name is twofold.

First : i like stratedgy games, and generally use blitzkrieg style tactics. Like once, playing Civ2 I captured 142 enemy cities in one year. Took seven hours though eek.gif

Second : a Blitzkrieger was an elite SS stormtrooper who generally went in ahead of the main attack to disrupt the enemy defenses, which suits my style of play in TFC down to the bone.

and there was me thinking its what the germans called the tactics adopted by the allies of firebombing their cities....
    kreig meaning war and blitz meaning..um..quick or fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

BlitzKrieg means Lightning War. It refers to
    the tactics used by the Wehrmacht during WWII. These tactics involved fast moving armoured formations advancing and striking the enemy quickly, and where least expected.
    This has become the corner stone of modern armoured warefare.

And Yossarian is from the book Catch-22.

Stephen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Marcus, Arkus, Arky

Boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I think you're thinking of the Blitz. It's what they called the German bombing of London. What the Germans called the allied bombing probably wouldn't be fit for the boards smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭C B

Blitzkrieg does mean lightening war.
    this refers to the NAZI's initial strategy in central Europe involving quick ariel attacks by the Luftwaffe to weaken enemy strongholds before sending in tanks and footsoldiers to finish the job.
    This strategy resulted in cities such as Prague and Warsaw falling to german control in a number of hours.

Mines just my initials (i'm a boring ****)

[This message has been edited by C B (edited 20-09-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Mine are also my initials.

JAK

I am however interesting.

[This message has been edited by Jak (edited 21-09-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This discussion of the meaning of 'blitzkrieg' puts me in mind of my all time fav Ron Atkinson quote, said as Germany were mauling someone in football - 'And I wonder if the Germans have a word for blitzkrieg in their language' smile.gif

Mine's from Face/Off if anyone hasn't seen it, my other nick TwoShedsJackson is from Monty Python.

Posted by Castor Troy:
    my other nick TwoShedsJackson is from Monty Python.

... and what a fu<king brilliant sketch that was too biggrin.gif

Bard
    _____
    -me-

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 21-09-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Back in the good old days of C64 games, highscore tables could only take 3 letters, so I just started using Tin. This then progressed with the advent of my addiction to multiplayer Quake2 where I thought the name Tin was too short. I subsequently added "Cool" as a joke. It has stuck ever since. There's only 1 TinCool on ICQ, which is me, although it's a highly stupid name at least it's original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Just shut up and Take it wink.gif

Tincool there is 2 tincools on icq one of them is an italian dood

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I AM AMP! HEAR ME ROAR!!!

Or read this slightly out of date homepage

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

[This message has been edited by amp (edited 25-09-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im me and its a long story how i got this name but its missing part of the name cause it couldent take the hole name .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

when i first came to the boards i used the name steve jobs. i am after all, using a mac right now. but when i stopped flaming and learnt to love you all, (even blitzkrieg) i adopted gerry's unused alias, Excelsior, because it has a cool James Rosenquist 1950's pop art feel to it.
    i am in copenhagen right now. it rocks.

http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/excelsior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I am Leprachaun, because of my Irishnessss. I am Drunk because its an exuse for my mediocracy at on-line gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

mines just what everyone calls me in real life???...... theere is about 20-30 sutty's on icq....most of them are me smile.gif i can never remember my passwords smile.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

i staated out as MBK(milkybarkid),obviously i got tired of this name and decided a change was in order.i was in a QWTF league at the time and was in defense as an engineer so i decided i would make a name fitting for a defender.i decided on guardian,then after a couple pf minutes i decixed that was shít.
    after some chatting in irc the name The Bouncer was mentioned,i thought why not give it a try.after about 10 mins of chatting someone said Da'Bounca was more fitting,and so here i am DaBounca.
    ;/

some men hold:That he's the sanest,far of all sane men- some that he's really sane but shamming mad- some that he's really mad but shamming sane- somethat he will be mad,some that he was-some that he couldn't be.But on the whole The favourite theory's somewhat like this:Da'Bounca is idiotically sane with lucid intervals of lunacy :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 [KBT]Executive.T

i decided on Executive T, because i am a big fan of Eddie Izzard. my mate jack decided to pick a shrued word that eddie once said in one of his sketches

"Slap Bun Wallah"

i however decided to go for Executive.T cos eddie describes himself as an Executive Transvestite. he travels the world, runs and jumps and climbs trees. etc. i thought it sounded cool, so i decided to stick to it

Latorz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

i was called Freak when i was a kid in school then this got changed to freak brother as my obvious talent for substance abuse came to light and everyone met my twin brother who got all the good stuff and left me with afterbirth and a bit of a brain. I developed into a fine young man however. Dunno why it ended up being spelt the way it is....a "u" instead of an "o" but who really gives a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I think i got my name from a William Gibson book. I can't be too sure cus my brain can come up with some really strange stuff if it wants too. It was either that or Beefy King, which is just too weird to explain..

Im going to the bear fights tomorrow, want to come with ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

I was once attatcked by a metal chicken, no jokes.

It really hurt, and ever since then ppl have been calling me this. I beg them not to, but they never pay any attention. It's really upsetting, you can still see the scars and everything. frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

So you're fabulous and furry as well. Glad to hear it smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Erple

"Erple" is swedish for "Well endowed man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Some day I'll tell ye biggrin.gif

So the pope puts down the Badger and leans over to me and says , " My son , sometimes you talk a lot of ****. Knock it off." Before I could speak in walks Christopher Lloyd with a time machine under his arm and just then...it started to get weird...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭[SN]JAG

JAG, goes back to the stone age of gaming waaaaaaayyyyy back to doom when i couldnt think of a name for multi-play i decided on Jagged-Blade, this of course is quite long and unwieldy so at the advent of quake 1 people were just calling me Jag so i went ok thats cool i will stick with that, so when me and my bro did a serial game of quake in our house i used Jag for the first time.

then about 4 months later this series started called jag and people started insulting my ability to pick a name and with my being knocked out from quakelords due to an incident with MP (i will never let it go) i decided to stop playing, then tribes hit me and then CS so here i am.

anyone who wants a more in dept account of what happened to those 3 years of being missin from irish gaming just let me know biggrin.gif

Advertisement