Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Originally posted by super_furry
    But it's their behaviour and not clothes that marks them out scangers
    That's more the point than the tracksuit thing. If a skanger (I like spelling it with a 'k' alright! :)) were to put on a suit they'd still be identifiable as a skanger by the way they interact with the people around them.
    It's the "I've the right and you can't do anything about it" attitude that does it.
    Picture this,
    Myself, my girlfriend and a work mate were walking down the boardwalk about 2 months ago. Yer local 'skangers' are there (about 6 of 'em) havin a few cans of dutchie.
    Work mate gets a bit ahead as we work our way around the group. As my girlfriend passes the last of the group he puts out his hand to put it on her head. Seeing this I said to him, "watch it" and continue walkin (but with my eyes still on him).
    This guy now wanted to start a fight. I could see it in the way his posture and movement changed and from the way he looked at me. At least one of the friends noticed this. (I wasn't particularly worried, I'm a capable martial artist and they'd all been drinking) Work mate turned around to see where we were and when they realised we were a group the fight went out of them.
    At my girlfriends urging (which wasn't really needed) we went on our way.

It's that attitude that pisses me off. He thought he could just feel my girlfriends hair because he wante to. It's a complete lack of regarde for the people around them and I reckon it's on of the reasons they end up in so many fights.

And it's discrimination, not racism.
    Racism is a form of discrimination.
    Just to point that out. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's not really. racism is just a word for a larger scale form of discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

if I put on my trenchcoat and go outside today, will you avoid me cos of the kids who did the columbine shootings?

No because I have never endured a bad experience or hostility from anyone wearing a trenchcoat. Even if it were to me happen to me once or twice, I still wouldn't. However, I have had countless hostile encounters from people wearing skanger clothes. From the harmless "get a haircut ye bleedin' hippy" to assualt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

the greater scale of life, i'm only puttin this in because you keep referring to skangers in gangs etc - the pawns in the life of crime are these skangers, and who's at the top business men!!! the greatest frauds and contoversies in the country are made by business men. these skangers have nothing to hide and so they wear the clothes they like. if you're scared of them go get yourself kevin costner to mind you when you're walkin around at night, and if you keep to yourself you'll be just fine hunny. an don't make yourself out to be so innocent, you abviously spend a lot of time studying these people

anyone else find it strange that a lot of the boards community have been arguing with the 'racists' over at stormfront for their portrayal (how do you spell that damned word) or black people as criminals, intellectually inferior.. etc etc, and then they hop over here to after hours to bitch about the skangers and scumbags..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I live in tallaght, But I dont have a pair of nikes, I dont have a white track suit and I dont even own a baseball cap. these are all nice items of clothing (expencive ones too) but the evil skangers of Tallaght and other areas have ruined the rep of perfectly good clothing. I think this style of dressing your self is crazy..who in gods name tries to look fancy in a track suit ? who in this world thinks a stripy jumper, gold chain, track suit bottoms and glow in the dark nikes is cool ??

Ill tell you who...skangers.

I try to avoide these stupidly dressed people as often as possible.
    not cause of they way they dress ( but I think that part of it) but because of the common mentality they seem to have.
    But I do have to go up to the square some times and everytime I am shocked and appulaed by "These people"

last weekend I saw a girl wearing stilletos, white track suit bottoms and a pink top ( that barly covered her tits) a black push up bra, and a yellow track suit top. She also had earings that could only have been the metal rims from a mountain bike and more makeup than I thought was possible. And guess what ...she was pushing a pram and obviously she had a "jonny blue" hanging outta her mouth.

These people are not oppressed. They are just crazy !

however, I often see in town the "blackrock chick" who wares shinny nike runners, baggy track bottoms and a rugbey top. This shouldnt be acceptable clothing either yet some how it is. Somehow I find this style of dressing absoutly fine. and some of them even ware caps and big earings...so whats the differance ???

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Originally posted by Mordeth
    there's not really. racism is just a word for a larger scale form of discrimination

Actually thats completly wrong, racism is a subset of discrimination, not the other
    way round. Racisim is discrimination on the basis of race.

People hate skangers because they are 90% of the reason that the streets of our city
    are not safe to walk on on your own at night.

If I see two guys wearing tracksuits, sorverigns, and baseball caps coming towards
    me at 2 in the morning on some street, yeah I'm gonna wath myself more than if
    it was two guys in suits. I call that being a bit street-wise, and don't tell me that you
    wouldn't feel the same. Chances are that if your going to get hassle its going to be
    from someone looking like a skanger.

Originally posted by Alany
    ...so whats the differance ???
    It's the persons attitude IMO. Plus the accent (sp?) might have something to do with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

I think some people want to replace every word in the English dictionary with 'racist' as it covers everything from Cork people to scangers, to clampers, to people who use mobiles to (put in something you don't like here).

Example: I heard a converstion between two people (from Dublin and Cork) and the Dublin guy claimed the Cork people were 'Racist' toward Dublin people. I never near that people from Dublin/Cork were a different race form the rest of us (no matter what people say)

Anyway back on target.

Do people who look like scangers know they do? If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to not dress like one so people won't look at you with disgust or fear? I knwo you will say people shouldn't look at scangers with disgust or fear, but it's not our fault if the majority of scumbags are skangers.

however, I often see in town the "blackrock chick" who wares shinny nike runners, baggy track bottoms and a rugbey top. This shouldnt be acceptable clothing either yet some how it is.

It's pretty awful alright, but the thing is those kind of people don't usually go around with the goal making other people's life a misery. They don't hang around slagging and starting fights on people who wear different clothes to them.

I'm from Tallaght myself (lived in Jobstown til I was 13, then moved to Belgard) and unfortunately I have to deal with scangers in one form or another nearly everyday. Like I said earlier, it's usually just insults as they look for a fight from anyone who looks slightly different to them.

• Advertisement

i definitely agree that there are a lot of people fittin the skanger description causing trouble out there. but this is no justification for this thread. what i'm sayin is evn though you can argue that skangers are skangers, you shouldn't be starting up threads about them and expect to come off looking good yourself. and even though it's wrong i have judged people prematurely as it's part of human behaviour but more often than not i was wrong and i aspire not to judge people. nobodies perfect, but if we can all realsie this it's making a good start and there's no reason to discriminate against any group of people. any discrepencies should be dealt with individuals. this isn't racism at all but the point i was making was that the thread starter was making it a racial issue himself because he was making skangers out to be a different race. it is an unfair discrimination, that can be compared to the discrimination against travellers. i can see your point but what i'm saying is that you should mind your own business and not be wastin your time talking about them. if 1 "skanger" does something against you that is between you and him and you can't stereotype. if you saw a different group of black people fighting every nigh it would still not be justified to put up a thread about black people, ya dig me:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by loismustdie
    i've loads of friends who you would probably call skangers because they call themselves anto maybe or happen to like tracksuits. these people are probably more decent than you are because they wouldn't dream of judging and labelling people like you do.

Thats right, and this is why most of them refer to other people as 'Muppas', 'quayors' and my fave, 'bleedin' faggets'.
    To paraphrase a line out of Full Metal Jacket - "All fcuking Skangers must fcuking die"!!!!!
    How do you like THEM apples?

Originally posted by bloggs
    Do people who look like scangers know they do? If so, wouldn't it be a good idea to not dress like one so people won't look at you with disgust or fear?
    Those questions can really only be answered by the labeled skanger.
    IMO the "skanger" doesn't look like a skanger to him/herself. They look like a person. They follow a fashion that's common to their friends but they do it slightly differently. To us "normal" people they all look the same. To them selves they look different.

As a counter point, do all these so-called skangers think all us so-called normal people look the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Shilo

Originally posted by Alany

however, I often see in town the "blackrock chick" who wares shinny nike runners, baggy track bottoms and a rugbey top. This shouldnt be acceptable clothing either yet some how it is. Somehow I find this style of dressing absoutly fine. and some of them even ware caps and big earings...so whats the differance ???

Quite often, although not always, these clothes are actually a sign of some kind of sporting activity - if you're a girl going to school in Blackrock, normally hockey. And in any case, most of these girls are so busy giggling amongst themselves or texting one another on their cell phones that they're unlikely to be a problem to anyone, unless you're trying to actually walk around them or need them to move!

P.S. LoisMustDie: Aspiring not to judge people may be all fine and dandy in a happy smiley PC world but in reality, it's a remnant of a more primal preservation instinct - no one likes getting beaten up now, do they? :rolleyes:

and even though it's wrong i have judged people prematurely as it's part of human behaviour but more often than not i was wrong and i aspire not to judge people.

Well I'm afraid I don't. I judge people on my experiences with them, and nearly every single experience I’ve had with a scanger has been a negative one. Until I’m offered evidence to the contrary, I will carry on considering them as pure scum.

why do you think you have the right to criticise them? you're the one's making a big deal of it and you're trying to make yourselves out to be decent people. read the posts again an you'll see tat you're only stuck up snobs and you haven't even go a reason to feel so superior becasue yu obviously have no lives and are horrible people talkin bout everyone else who doesn't fit yor description of the right kind of person.

90% of street crimes blah - what were the questions in the srvey to find this out - in the case of an argument would you a) call the oposition a muppah, b)run home cryin, c) give the person your lolly pop or d)invite them to the pictures? - sorry but this argument is frying my head. can you lot not see that even though you might be right you are the ones with the problem now because you are the ones being horrible. no skanger has done anything to have this thread started and it's all a big stereotype where you are discriminating against them

it's not a race issue, the thread starter is makin it a racial issue himself by stereotyping

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

if you saw a different group of black people fighting every nigh it would still not be justified to put up a thread about black people, ya dig me:?

Black people are black and no matter what they do they will still be black, this is why
    racisim is generally accepeted as being wrong.
    Skangers dress and act like they do out of choice, its a life-style choice, and I have
    no problem in discriminating against the scumbags.

Originally posted by super_furry
    Well I'm afraid I don't. I judge people on my experiences with them, and nearly every single experience I’ve had with a scanger has been a negative one. Until I’m offered evidence to the contrary, I will carry on considering them as pure scum.

NEARLY every on?
    how many skangers have you met?

i had the most possible repect for you and your opinions even though i disagreed them them until this post, now i wouldn't piss on you if you wer on fire

offered evidence to the conrary - you are full of ****

you're judging a lot of people on a few experiences with a few people who wear the same type clothes and talk the same maybe as a lot of people around the place so you're going to take it out on them all

can you lot not see that even though you might be right you are the ones with the problem now because you are the ones being horrible.

Well let's declare tomorrow the official "Be nice to scangers day!" We'll give them presents of Dutch Gold and 'a 10 spot', we won't fight back when they try to beat us up for looking different to them, we'll help them steal younger kids' mobile phones, we'll help them come up with witty and insightful insults for them to use on random strangers while they're sitting down the back of the bus and we'll all sit in a big field listening to Scooter albums on a robbed stereo. Bleeeeedin' raaaaapih!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I think the real issue is that the majority of so called 'skangers' discriminate strongly against anyone outside their own limited peer group. These are mostly people with limited social skills, education, and prospects, and they find anyone different threatening. So they react in the only way they know how; they assert their superiority as they've learnt to - violently. Unfortunately, to change that you must change the society that permits it's children to grow up in these environments; otherwise the problem just continues to grow. I propose an 'adopt a slanger' program, where disenfranchised youths are brought to live in nice homes in Blackrock and suchlike..where they can experience the warmth and broad horizons of living in our modern class free society, and see for themselves how much better their lives can be. Who's with me? C'mon guys, do it for society! Do it for the skangers!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by xx
    Thats right, and this is why most of them refer to other people as 'Muppas', 'quayors' and my fave, 'bleedin' faggets'.
    To paraphrase a line out of Full Metal Jacket - "All fcuking Skangers must fcuking die"!!!!!
    How do you like THEM apples?

THEM apples = skanger lingo surely, wouldn't your type of people be better to say THOSE apples?

so everyone who smokes dope is a skanger?

or is it just scooter fans?

*** on a daily basis I probably have more trouble with the 'normal' folk of the world than I do with the skangers. I've had run ins with skangers but nothin worth getting into a tizzy about.
    What does rive me up the walls are the everday folk who walk down the street and won't move out of the way forcing you out onto the road to get by or being jammed in by the wall either.
    It's the people who stand at the bus/train stops havin a fag and when they blow their smoke the wind sweeps it across everyone at the stop. Would it be too hard to move to the other side of the people?
    It's the people who don't wait for others to get off the train before they start tryin to push on.

I have far more trouble with people who don't care how they put other people out. Some skangers might fall into that category but some do a hell of a lot of everyday people.

so everyone who smokes dope is a skanger?

or is it just scooter fans?

I believe I've adressed this point before, but no not everyone who smokes dope is a scanger nor is everyone who listen's to Scooter a scanger. They are, however, popular past-times among a majority of that group as is harassing people, stealing cars and starting fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

For the purpose of this post...
    "Skanger" refers to a person dressed in the manner described...
    "Scumbag" is a person who behaves in the manner described, regardless of dress.

First of all... This is discrimination, not racism. That isn't up for discussion, it's fact.

Second of all... Scumbag behaviour isn't unique to "skangers". If you look for it you can find it in all walks of life. The problem is frequency. Like others here, i've known plenty of perfectly sound, nice people who wear 90 degree hats, tight trousers and ridiculous looking jumpers. But i've seen more people dressed like that causing trouble and being generally aggressive, than other people easily grouped because of their clothing.

Mainly based in the Dublin city centre but also stemming out to events like Witnness, Slane and other concerts.

I have seen groups of people who could probably be fitted into the "skanger" category roaming streets with rudimentary weapons with the intent to use them. I've never seen that behaviour from any other group.

It comes down to something somebody else said about not all "skangers" being scumbags, but that most scumbags are "skangers".

are you all just ignorant or plain stupid.
    1 question: do you agree that people have the right to dress and act whatever way they like without discrimination as long as it's not harming anyone else?
    if you answer no i'm goin to let you believe what you want becasue i don't really care if your head's that far up your arse
    but it you're answering yes and your argument is that these skangers do harm other people then i completely see your point. but what i'm sayin is that 2 wrong's don't make a right and it's not fair to stereotype. take out any anger on those who offend against you but deliver you from evil etc
    can i simplify it for you any further???

so is breathing, pissing and drinking milk

milk is clearly a factor here

Originally posted by Lodgepole
    For the purpose of this post...
    "Skanger" refers to a person dressed in the manner described...
    "Scumbag" is a person who behaves in the manner described, regardless of dress.

First of all... This is discrimination, not racism. That isn't up for discussion, it's fact.

Second of all... Scumbag behaviour isn't unique to "skangers". If you look for it you can find it in all walks of life. The problem is frequency.

i go with that

Originally posted by Mordeth
    so is breathing, pissing and drinking milk

milk is clearly a factor here

u are a strange strange man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

are you all just ignorant or plain stupid.
    1 question: do you agree that people have the right to dress and act whatever way they like without discrimination as long as it's not harming anyone else?
    if you answer no i'm goin to let you believe what you want becasue i don't really care if your head's that far up your arse
    but it you're answering yes and your argument is that these skangers do harm other people then i completely see your point. but what i'm sayin is that 2 wrong's don't make a right and it's not fair to stereotype. take out any anger on those who offend against you but deliver you from evil etc
    can i simplify it for you any further???

Yes; dress how you please but accept that as a consequence people will judge you on how you dress; that's just life. If you look like trouble then people will treat you like trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement