Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options
  • 09-09-2003 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

I was talking the other day to a girl who said she loves skangers (soverign rings, tracksuit, calls people "muppas", shortens name to add an 'o' at the end e.g. Anthony = Anto) ;). You know what i mean.

I think she is mad, but they say each to their own.

My question is, are you a skanger, are you proud to dress like the above, do you think your are cool or a hard man/woman?

I think it looks cheap and tacky :D

This is meant to be light hearted, but if the Mods think this will turn in to a flamefest, then feel free to close.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thing that always confuses me about scangers is why do they want to be like that? Don’t they know that everyone hates them, thinks that they’re scum and look absolutely ridiculous? I mean do they wake up one morning and think to themselves “I know, I’m going to buy a cheap tracksuit, some sovereign rings, a baseball cap that I’ll wear at a 90 degree angle, and set about making everyone else’s life a living hell. I’ll smash bus windows, I’ll pick fights on strangers (but only if they’re on their own and I’m in a gang) and I’ll hang around off-licences pestering people to buy drink for me.”

I often wonder if scangers actually realise that they are, in fact, scangers. Do they maybe think that they’re just normal people out for a good time? I mean if you ever call them scangers they react with such shock and horror – how could they possibly not know that they are the scum of the earth?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I’m going to attempt to move this to After Hours, as it’s not really a personal issue as such

sorry Monty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Dakeyras

i think in this case you could alter the old adage: "when a wise man realises he is wise he becomes a fool but when a fool realises he is a fool he becomes a fool no longer"
    to
    "when a scanger realises that he is a scanger he becomes a skanger no longer"

Though it probably all has to do with the environment your brought up in and your relative peer group. if the people you admire or spend most of your time with dress in a certain way etc. it could become your definition of 'cool' or 'hard'. Though by no means everyone is like this there's enough of them to make up most of them you see about. i mean if a scanger went in to BT2 or somewhere got himself kitted out in the latest threads or whatever he'd probably get devoured by his 'butties' on return to scanger-land after they had a good laugh at him for turning into a poof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by bloggs
    This is meant to be light hearted, but if the Mods think this will turn in to a flamefest, then feel free to close.

if i repected your opinion enough it would turn into a flamefest! and the fact that you said that shows that you know yourself that you're out of line. i'm not a "skanger" but i think it's a terrible name to put on someone. i've loads of friends who you would probably call skangers because they call themselves anto maybe or happen to like tracksuits. these people are probably more decent than you are because they wouldn't dream of judging and labelling people like you do. get over your own image and let everone where and do what they like, they're not bothering you so you should get on with your own sad existance/life and leave them alone too. maybe you should try playing snake on your phone when you see someone who you think is a skanger, that way we can all live harmoniously and they won't bother you so much, you can get annoyed with your phone instead because you can't win the game or something

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by loismustdie
    i'm not a "skanger" but i think it's a terrible name to put on someone. i've loads of friends who you would probably call skangers because they call themselves anto maybe or happen to like tracksuits. these people are probably more decent than you are because they wouldn't dream of judging and labelling people like you do.

no seriously, anybody who wears white three stripe tracksuits deserves all the abuse they get, there is simply no excuse for it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

super_furry said it all. Do they ever look at themselves in the mirror and wonder why everybody else dresses differently. When you are in Argos and you see them all at the jewellry counter buying sovereign rings and big hoop earings, you wonder do argos make most of their money from selling them bad jewellry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

<quote>no seriously, anybody who wears white three stripe tracksuits deserves all the abuse they get, there is simply no excuse for it </quote>

It was a free country the last time I checked or maybe you have recently been apointed Minister for Fashion? :)
    But seriously, does the way a stranger dresses really bother you that much?? chill your boots! variety is the spice of life!

what about people who chose to wear "not-cool" clothes, it wouldn't b acceptable to slag them off for their appearence so why's it ok to take the piss out of skangers. people say skangers are trouble makers but now it's "normal" people startin on them

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

chill your boots! variety is the spice of life! [/B]

but thats the thing they ALL wear three strip trackies :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

do you wear any brand names? nike, adidas.. erm.. heh, they're the only two I know :p

but unless you wear 100% totally original items of clothing, hand crafted for your personal use.. then shut up and stop making a fool of yourself

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dudara
    super_furry said it all. Do they ever look at themselves in the mirror and wonder why everybody else dresses differently. When you are in Argos and you see them all at the jewellry counter buying sovereign rings and big hoop earings, you wonder do argos make most of their money from selling them bad jewellry.

for **** sake, they're people - just like them there are ravers, grungers, business people, studious types or whatever. everyone is different. out of all the people in the world they can't all be the same or every single person cannot be different. that's how fashions begin and everyone can be put in a group if you're sad enough to bother stereotypin them

an when you're in argos in future you should try thinkin about what you went in to buy or where you're going next because you should live your own life, i doubt the "skangers" waste their time thinkin about you

what about people who chose to wear "not-cool" clothes, it wouldn't b acceptable to slag them off for their appearence so why's it ok to take the piss out of skangers. people say skangers are trouble makers but now it's "normal" people startin on them

It’s not just a fashion thing – far from it – it’s just that skangers, scumbags, pikeys, whatever you call them are usually identifiable by the clothes and jewellery they wear. But it's their behaviour and not clothes that marks them out as scangers. Not everyone who wears tracksuits or sovereign rings are scangers, but nearly all scangers wear tracksuits or sovereign rings.

As for it being “normal people” who cause problems by starting on skangers. Exactly what planet do you live on? Just picture the scene – a few of ‘da boyz’ are sitting outside the local school, smoking a few joints and drinking their Dutch Gold when all of a sudden the evil, nasty chess club kids come along and start on them! How likely is that scenario? Skangers are so hated because of their anti-social, scumbag tendencies. It’s a generalisation but it’s true that normal people don’t rob cars, skangers do. Nerds don’t mug kids for their phones, skangers do and normal people don’t sit down the back of buses smoking cheap hash and abusing anyone is sight, skangers do.

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    but thats the thing they ALL wear three strip trackies :eek:

and you ALL moan like sad little bitches, ya see the pattern. and what the hell do you do go around makin a bloody list?

Hoo Hah, I love the smell of racism in the morning

Racism my arse.

Originally posted by Mordeth
    do you wear any brand names? nike, adidas.. erm.. heh, they're the only two I know :p

but unless you wear 100% totally original items of clothing, hand crafted for your personal use.. then shut up and stop making a fool of yourself

who ya tellin t shut up? an what ya doin up so early?

ps - reebok and acis or somethin like that :)

erm, the other lad.. i forget his nick

and i woke up this morning at 8am :( it was horrible

<quote>
      whatever you call them are usually identifiable by the clothes and jewellery they wear. </quote> So you judge what a person is like by their immediate appearance and it's NOT racism. Just remember, there more scared of you than you are of them :p

super_furry - you can't stereotype clothes, every one is different and if you have a problem with an individual for what he does fair enough but don't look at a person and decide that since he wears sovergn rings that he's a scumbag or even if he is see his a person and not a skanger. you can not link this image wit bein a scumbag

not every scumbag is a skanger. the normal people i'm talking causin trouble is all you lot now talkin about people who wear tracksuits wit the stripes an smoke joints an makin them out to be second class people. and in all fairness you haven't even got a definition for a skanger if you're associating them with all the crime. once again i'm goin to point out that although some people who you call skangers may bully people or steal a car, it's unfair to say that they are the only one to do this or that the style of clothes they wear is anything but coincidence in some cases at least

Exactly what race am I judging? The poor oppressed, ancient and venerable tribe of Skaneragua from the Island's of Bleedin-Rapih?

• Advertisement

The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

the definition of racism as found on dictionary.com

skangers isn't a race but since you put them into their own group seperate to the rest of us you're responsible for insinuating your own racism against them

<quote>Exactly what race am I judging? The poor oppressed ancient and venerable tribe of Skaneragua from the Island's of Bleedin-Rapih?</quote>

I can't argue with that!

now if I could just get the right quote tags.....

Good Day

Originally posted by Mordeth
    erm, the other lad.. i forget his nick

and i woke up this morning at 8am :( it was horrible

scary! ha - we is on da same side in a argument on boards - i am on the same side as a mod - wonders wil never cease!!! well continue arguin, or go back to bed - whichever you prefer and mind my bag with all of your life until sunday!!!

just click on the quote icon under the message. if you wnt to ommit some of the text just delete it manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by super_furry
    It’s not just a fashion thing – far from it – it’s just that skangers, scumbags, pikeys, whatever you call them are usually identifiable by the clothes and jewellery they wear. But it's their behaviour and not clothes that marks them out scangers by their behaviour. Not everyone who wears tracksuits or sovereign rings are scangers, but nearly all scangers wear tracksuits or sovereign rings.

As for it being “normal people” who cause problems by starting on skangers. Exactly what planet do you live on? Just picture the scene – a few of ‘da boyz’ are sitting outside the local school, smoking a few joints and drinking their Dutch Gold when all of a sudden the evil, nasty chess club kids come along and start on them! How likely is that scenario? Skangers are so hated because of their anti-social, scumbag tendencies. It’s a generalisation but it’s true that normal people don’t rob cars, skangers do. Nerds don’t mug kids for their phones, skangers do and normal people don’t sit down the back of buses smoking cheap hash and abusing anyone is sight, skangers do.

Exactly!!

When was the last time you saw a bunch of guys in suits hanging around outside an off-licence? Waiting for their 'moth'

Which is more scary? Four guys in tracksuits and sovereigns sitting at the back of the bus, or four guys in suits at the same place?

Im not saying all people who wear tracksuits are scangers, im just saying that most scumbags dress, look and talk like scangers. So why people would want to look or act like a scumbag is beyond me. :confused:

I remember listening to the radio one night and there was a guy on saying that i has never had a job, they guy used to go to interviews dressed like a scanger, and i couldn't understand why he didn't get a job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Originally posted by MrScruff
    So you judge what a person is like by their immediate appearance and it's NOT racism.

Racisim isn't judging people by their outward appearance, it judging people by their
    race. RACEisim.

I reckon this discussion has got a bit side-tracked, shurly the problem isn't the
    tracksuits, its the behaviour. Its when 10 of them pick on some defencles guy on his
    way home from the pub and put him in A&E. Thats why they are hated.

Im not saying all people who wear tracksuits are scangers, im just saying that most scumbags dress, look and talk like scangers. So why people would want to look or act like a scumbag is beyond me.

if I put on my trenchcoat and go outside today, will you avoid me cos of the kids who did the columbine shootings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Loismustdie: You make some good points you have to keep in mind, that not everyone who wears tracksuits, hooped ear-rings and calls everyone "-o" doesn't cause trouble. Its the group that dress that way that mark everyone who dresses and talks the same. You friends may only dress that way, but it attracts the stigma of what other people do.

I'm from a s**thole area in Dublin and it is full of "skangers". I don't really fit in there, I just didn't like drinking cider in fields (before they became yet more housing estates), smoking, having a shaved head or bullting people for the way they dress. So I got picked on beaten up in school. Now years later, some have grown out of it, others haven't.

As for your friend Bloggs, its not that strange. I am hoplessly attracted to gothic girls and intelliectual ones. To each there own.

There's a big difference between racism and discrimination - after all I'm from the same race as these skangers and for the most part the same social class. I freely admit that I actively discriminate against skangers - I discriminate against all scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by loismustdie
    super_furry - you can't stereotype clothes, every one is different and if you have a problem with an individual for what he does fair enough but don't look at a person and decide that since he wears sovergn rings that he's a scumbag or even if he is see his a person and not a skanger. you can not link this image wit bein a scumbag

So you can put your hand on your heart, and honestly say that you have never, ever made the slightest pre-judgement of any individual by just looking at them? It's human nature to pre-judge people, it's not always a bad thing it's just in our nature. I don't mean in regard to this topic or race or anything it's something people do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement