Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know any good dublin/irish bands up and coming?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

Shrieking, Right with you on the thrills. But hey... each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My favourite Irish bands at the moment are The Jimmy Cake (8 or 9 instrumentalists in the band but no vocals), Boa Morte (Cork band who play beautiful, sad, mellow music), and Messiah J And The Expert (Excellent hip-hop band who use jazz, classical and other types of music to back up the beats).

Probably terrible descriptions of bands but check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by eske
    Also I loved Babelfish. Tom Dunne plugged them as witness rising artist quite a while ago. They might have changed their name recently. Not sure.

they're called 'alphastates' now

badly drunk boy... speaking of cork bands, you seen 'rest' they're feckin excellent, similar to jimmy cake style stuff except a little bit more in the mogwai vein of things... rulers of the planet from cork are great too, most enjoyable stage show i've seen in a long while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by eske
    Shrieking, Right with you on the thrills. But hey... each to his own.

yeah im jus messin!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know whatever happened to Saville? I loved their first album, and saw them several times in Whelans, but it seems to have all gone worryingly quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PersonalJesus

i havent heard anything up and coming recently to get really really excitied about. Few northern bands doing interesting things, and id say Fighting With Wire are probably the best bet to make it big. Posibly as a sucessor to the foo's type of sound. Check them out, could be pleasantly suprised.

Oh and as a blatant plug check out Firecracker and 20BullsEach at the Isaac Butt 29th oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Originally posted by super_furry
    Anyone know whatever happened to Saville? I loved their first album, and saw them several times in Whelans, but it seems to have all gone worryingly quiet.

I don't know anything about them but I read this elsewhere.

"The new Saville album will be released this Friday, 24th Oct. Saville will be playing in Tower Records, Dublin, at lunchtime on Friday to promote it."

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

About as unknown as it gets but hopefully that'll change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E3XW3qaMnM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

www.glydermusic.com. Brilliant hard rock band from Ballyknockan, Co Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

www.glydermusic.com. Brilliant hard rock band from Ballyknockan, Co Wicklow.

Terrific band, seen live three times in the past year, first time in Marlay park and the rest in Fred's in Cork. They have some really great songs and put on one hell of a good show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Oh emperor look very good. And of course the Villagers

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

A solo dude called Philip John...well worth checking out. (Brian Wilson / ELO kinda stuff)
    www.myspace.com/philipjohnmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pandanda

Heard a band called Gypsies on the Autobahn playing at Trinity Ball the other night! They were very good!

Found a video of them on youtube too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Blue Fever

Clockwork Noise - Finished second in the King Kong Club battle of the bands comp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

I saw Funzo live recently and enjoyed their performance and they gave me a free CD which was pretty cool. There aren't any videos on youtube that really do them justice but I will post one anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Bailer are good live.
    She can really sing

• Registered Users Posts: 18 testerdesign

Gud limerick band got in final for BOB Dylan
    Animal Beats
    http://www.myspace.com/animalbeats

Balcony tv:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHU3s1pdacY

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭finnezzia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

this is the dying seconds and the video was done by my bro. really great irish band!!!! really good studio music and a great live band aswell, actually infact they are better live so go see them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭odonopenmic

The Minutes - big one for 2011 I reckon
    The Mighty Stef - new album out today and it's suitably brilliant, like the last 2
    The Last Tycoons (disclosure: I'm in the band :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Mo Hat Mo Gheansaí

Check out their youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Shouting At Planes, just YouTube it, they had a song on the Ray D'Arcy show earlier this week. Went to school with the Singer/Guitarist/Saxophone player. Played Glastonbury this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

For me the technical standard is high, but its the originality thats lacking. Too many screamers and Slipknot wannabes in the metal scene, too many KoL clones in the indie scene. No one really trying to create anything too new...

Best Irish metal band for me are Eyesclosed

Probably the best original Irish non-metal band Ive seen lately are Noise Control. Some might say a little Prodigy-esque, but I think they have a great sound that isnt done enough IMO! :D

Oh and on the Dying Seconds video above....thats a great video! Really well done. They sound Arcade Fire-ey to me, but I like Arcade Fire (gig was AMAZING!) Will keep an eye out for Dying Seconds.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭finnezzia

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Demosthenes

Intinn are well worth mention, only good Irish reggae/dub i've ever heard..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJjoFHyDIM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Not a band and certainly not rock, and all the better for it:

Advertisement