Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know any good dublin/irish bands up and coming?

Options
  • 03-09-2003 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Not the obvious ones of course

little ones i might not have heard of??

I feel like hearing something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Depends on what type of stuff you like really . there are a fair few excellent bands around at the moment. what you listen to?

gar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Check out Baby Jenks, they're gigging tonight, (Fri 5th), in the Voodoo Lounge on the quays, doors @ 8pm.

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I don't think the standard is as high as some people would like to believe but my three favorite Irish bands at the moment would have to be Berkley, Skyjack and 66 Electric.

Personally I think the 2 best bands in Ireland right now are CLERGY and MIKE GOT SPIKED but thats just me. Skyjack are good but too repetitive for my likings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Panda

have a listen to skindive, they're around for while now, but their new album is out today and their last one was very tasty imo.

www.skindivemusic.com btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Preacher

If you're into jangly guitar pop type stuff then both TEN SPEED RACER and TURN are well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Pugwash....
    dunno if that counts as new but damn good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Yeah I like Turn alright, been to one of their gigs. In postion and Summer Song are great but the other stuff is a little weak!

Skindive had some great stuff out too. Thats that girl who used to work in THomas Reid's on Dame st isnt it?

SkyJack are a little heavy for my taste though i havent really given them a chance.

Will check out those ones i havent heard of -thanks for that!

My pick would be Melaton, though they have been quiet lately

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Melaton. and also a band from dundalk called Red Twelve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Good bands I've seen lately...

Baby Jenks,
    Medusa,
    First Dog in Space,
    The Tall Stories,
    Stagefright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

if you like melaton try

the 66 electric www.the66electric.com
    cabrini green www.cabrinigreenmusic.com

both bands are a more instrumental based but i'd say you'd enjoy them

Medusa are one of the most horrificly terrible bands ive come across in my professional career. They are a commitments tribute band for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by bombidol
    Medusa are one of the most horrificly terrible bands ive come across in my professional career. They are a commitments tribute band for gods sake

There in the semi final of the battle of the bands in the voodoo lounge, I've seen them a few times, and have not heard them doing a commitments song, prehaps another band your thinking of? They've done all their own music so far as I've seen. Playing a gig tomorrow night (13th of September) at the voodoo, drop down and see what you think?

-Edit for boegy spelling, my typing's gone to hell these days, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Saw a band called Milestones play in Isaac Butts, they were pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

*Shameless self promotion*

Take a butcher's at Skandas' Site there's some MP3's on there and the album is available to buy in Tower Records now. Gigs coming soon also.

*End of shameless self promotion*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Seen a few good ones...

Ellentic

Broken Holmes Angry Watson

BellX1's new album is really really good

I saw a band in Whelans a few weeks ago who were quite handy... didn't really get the name though, something like Screaming Geisha or something like that (Yes, I know it's a brutal name but they were a decent band)

The Remain

Rapture

I think we've reached a point where you can go out nay night in Dublin and see a good band somewhere, there are loads of good new bands coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 johnpl

there is a dublin based band called "sack" that i have seen play live a few times and i have to say i was pretty impressed by them. the first time i saw them was supporting morrissey at the ambassador a while ago, and it is rare that i am completely blown away by a support band but this was one of those occasions.

they're not signed to a major label but you can get copies of their last ep "adventura majestica" at "road records" on fade street in dublin.
    Road Records

they've also got their own website (which was down for quite a while but seems to be online again) where you can download some live versions of their tunes. they have a song called 'tag' which is just amazing and well worth a listen.
    Sack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 johnpl

you can also buy 'adventura majestica' online at...
    CD Street.com

Originally posted by johnpl
    there is a dublin based band called "sack"

yeah Ive seen them a few times

not into them but can see why people would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Oh if your interested the 66 electric are playing Friday 9th in TBMC,as part of the IRIS magazine gig.Berkley and the Voyeurs are on too so it should be a good one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

berkeley and turn are both class

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    berkeley and turn are both class

turn - agreed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Sh*t its Thursday the 9th not Friday ....sorry every day is a weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

cruachan - irish metal band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

If anyone is around Wexford, see Bengie.. excellent rock band guys.

yeah might go to that Berkely, 66 electic gig - its being advertised all over DIT aungier st and its starting to work on me!

saw snow patrol on sunday - man they are quietly getting bigger but they really put on a super rock show!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i'll defo be at that 66e gig tmrw night...

you another d.i.t. aungier st head then shrieking sheet?
    seem to be meeting loadsa them online these days.... there was a very good turn out from our college at the snow patrol gig, so many familiar faces

Originally posted by polarbelly
    i'll defo be at that 66e gig tmrw night...

you another d.i.t. aungier st head then shrieking sheet?
    seem to be meeting loadsa them online these days.... there was a very good turn out from our college at the snow patrol gig, so many familiar faces

wow i didnt know you were in dit!

yeah im doin' marketing and e business 3rd year

(see the college play thread for dit people)

to be honest i didnt notice many faces but i didnt hang around for long!

one of the people u recognised was prob me ha ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭eske

First up BellX1 new disk "Music in Mouth" is fabulous,

But less well know .... if you're into the whole singer songwritter scene check out the wonderful Sean Needham band. Excellent eclectic set, thought provoking lyrics, attractive backing vocalist, a seriously good show. What more do you need.

Also I loved Babelfish. Tom Dunne plugged them as witness rising artist quite a while ago. They might have changed their name recently. Not sure.

Everyone involved in Accoustic Junction is worth checking out. Kevin May, Paul McDonneld, Chirar Browne etc.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eske
    .... if you're into the whole singer songwritter scene check out the wonderful Sean Needham band. Excellent eclectic set, thought provoking lyrics, attractive backing vocalist, a seriously good show. What more do you need.

Speaking of singer songwriters I came across this guy Eamon O'Connor when going to watch my mates band in some dump around Portabello. He was quite good, played on his own -some nice basic songs - a little bit stuck in the mid-nineties (Verve-tastic!) but worth a look if one is into that kinda stuff.

I think if he ends up in a band he might do well

Advertisement