Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite weather?

Options
  • 13-08-2003 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Okay its a light topic but if its a "wrong sort of weather day" it can get us down...me I love crisp fresh air with sun but not too much of it ie its good to have short cloudy periods mixed in. Ideal shade temp for me is about 18c. Sadly this sort of day only happens about 3 times a year....during late Spring or early Autumn.

Mike.

Comments

I actually love Thunder.
    About a month ago, my relations were here and an aunt who is terrified of lightning.

A most terrible storm was going on at the time, lightning forking all over the place...
    The poor woman was under the table almost with the fright.

Meantime my young cousin who is 10 was really excited about it and proceeded to count between the lightning and the Bang.

Several times he said things , like "Nan it's only a mile away now..." and She nearly went blue when he told her that her necklace had metal in it and was drawing the lightning...she was going to be hit by it...:D

I feel so mean putting a smilie after that story

While nearby or overhead forked lightning can be very scary, I love watching it, and do plan to tornado watch at some point.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

my fave weather is dry, but cool weather with no sun and no wind, around 15 degrees, wer you are comfortable in a tee shirt and a shirt over it. but not too hot
    i get very uncomfortable at temps over and around 20 degrees, so on the way to the home ferry in scotland, 30 degrees. yum yum. :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Snow simple answer hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It really depends on the previous weather but I like a good spot of raucus thunder and lightning every once in a while.

I took this picture of a red sky after a thunderstorm not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

There's something quite wonderful about a really cold dry misty winters morning.

Everyone's breath steaming in the air and you're snuggled in a big jacket and scarf and everywhere is icy.

Plus all the cute girls have rosy cheeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ghost of bail

very low temp bot 0 and a huge fog its great snow is a close second its fun snow fights are brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nice pic Gordon :)

Thiunderstorms are grand but only for so long when they hang around the fun factor wears off quickly. Down here - Waterford -
    there has been very little activity when only 30-40 miles away in Wexford Thor is raging mad! I had a lightning sticke hit right by me in the van between Rosslare and Wexford two weeks ago. I could feel the air crackling....:eek: I went past an ESB sub-station about
    10 seconds later...:eek: :eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Basically love any kind of storm eg. gale winds or thunder and lightening etc.

Especially like being by the sea when there is a massive storm in progress - its fantastic to watch :D

Yeah I know I'm weird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I like really wild weather... stormy/windy etc. particularly if I'm near the sea or a large area of water then it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I like that perfect crystal clear sunny calm day that you only get when a high pressure system settles in the area for a week or two. The sky is blue to the horizon (perhaps one solitary cloud or two), there's no wind, and everything just seems so quiet. Above all, Im just a great fan of clear blue skies. But I do love the occasional large nasty thunderstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I like nice hot days - I can stick the heat!

But my all time favourite are days when it's really windy, but not cold windy, and no rain. I love going out round, walking round a corner and the breath's taken away from you for a second. Feels really refreshing and energising. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

My fvourite weather has to be like we had recently,the type you normally get in spain and elsewhere. Maybe its because i wasnt cooped up inside a workplace but i never had as good a time in ages as i did during the heatwave. I never found it too hot.

There is something satisfying about a crisp cold winter morning too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Cold, and either dry, or lots of snow. i love the cold. I love snow. A stiff breeze is always welcome too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by DapperGent
    There's something quite wonderful about a really cold dry misty winters morning.

Everyone's breath steaming in the air and you're snuggled in a big jacket and scarf and everywhere is icy

i have to say that is my number 1

i am also a big fan of storms, high winds, thunder, lightening although there was one time when i was out walking somewhere and lightening struck a load of sand about 10 meters away. all i had between me and the sand was a wall. it frightened the bejaysus out of me :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Has to be snow... but real powder snow not the slush we get here in Ireland.

I was in Canada in the Rockies last October and it was just starting to snow and the pics I took were amazing and really looked like picture postcard stuff.

Havent had a chance to scan them yet so here's a sample of what it looked like..

Lake Louise

Good pic toxic :)

If you do get a chance and have any more good snow ones, maybe you could post a link to them up in the weather pictures sticky at the top.

mm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

yeah no probs...

Ill spend sometime at the weekend scanning in those pics that i have..

Got some of them blown up and have them hanging on my wall at home.. Id love to be able to spend the winter in the Rockies just photographing stuff, tis an amazing place and somewhere im definitely going back to..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

my favority has to be on a summers afternoon, and you see some really dark clouds coming in your direction, and every so often you hear a clap of thunder from that cloud ! I think it gives a great atmosphere

Then again, I'm one of those people that would love to go to the states and be a storm chaser for a few weeks. I'd love to experance a close encounter with a tornedo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Originally posted by ando
    my favority has to be on a summers afternoon, and you see some really dark clouds coming in your direction, and every so often you hear a clap of thunder from that cloud ! I think it gives a great atmosphere

Then again, I'm one of those people that would love to go to the states and be a storm chaser for a few weeks. I'd love to experance a close encounter with a tornedo

Same here - would love to be a storm chaser!!! It would be fantastic :)

Originally posted by misswex
    Same here - would love to be a storm chaser!!! It would be fantastic

Yeap me too, tiz on my to do list :)

Wonder what would happen if i organised one on the Boardsie events board:D

mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Man
    Yeap me too, tiz on my to do list :)

Wonder what would happen if i organised one on the Boardsie events board:D

mm

I tell you what would happen - we'd be standing around for days waiting for something to chase!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Lexie

Those mornings when you wake up and there is ground frost and the air is crisp and clear.

Really heavy rain and wind, when you are lying in bed and it is pounding off the roof. Very relaxing.

Originally posted by ando
    ..... I'm one of those people that would love to go to the states and be a storm chaser for a few weeks. I'd love to experance a close encounter with a tornedo

Well now you can.. just have a look here.. they now do storm chasing holidays...

What will they think of next :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mike65
    I tell you what would happen - we'd be standing around for days waiting for something to chase!

Mike.

ah but when the tornado did come, we'd have you on top of the van tweaking the instruments for the perfect record of the storm...while the rest of us Ran for cover....:p

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by ToxicPaddy
    Well now you can.. just have a look here.. they now do storm chasing holidays...

lol, would be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

A really good thunderstorm makes me sleep sooo peacefully. Unfortunately Ireland is famous for it's LACK of thunderstorms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I love any weather that Karina Buckley forecasts.

Apologies for dragging this otherwise agreeable post down to my level.

Karina, who used have a lovely curly head of hair:D

And here she is with long hair later Just scroll down to the middle of the page :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Me I love the hot humid weather

• Advertisement

Billy there are other fora on Boards.ie that might help you with the problems you have with hot or humid weather.
    Try posting your difficulty in the personal issues forum or in the Gardening forum.
    Theres a drop down menu at the top of this page that will browse you in their direction :)

mm

Advertisement