Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Message ITV will cease soon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Nobody knows.

Some people say no, some yes. I have not heard of anyone who has seen the banner on the new FTV cards.

If you are reording things like that it might be worth your while tuning the channel into the other channels section. I doubt if the banner will come up when watching a channel via other channels. The red dots definately don't appear.

No. tried watching ITV via other channels and the b astard banner comes up. It also comes up on the video too.

Got a very sore finger pressing backup yesterday between 4 and 6pm. :(((

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yes I got the "message of death" too :( i'm sad to see my channels going, i was hoping they might have been available on other channels but that seems not to be the case. From reading this thread it seems if i had asked for a reissuing of my FTV card around February then i would have got a v2 card that would have extended FTV by another year or two. Why are v1 cards being turned off but not v2?
    Maybe ITV/Channel 4 etc. might decide to go unencrypted to UK boxes now the FTV card is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

I think ssly are trying it on, put a message out to say viewing will cease and it does say " Some channels" and then guage reaction. I expect people will panic and ring sly and sign up for special deal.

Ah well, I am going to wait and wait.

I hate the red dot and banners so got myself a little gadget, works a dream but mucks up personal planner but it keeps muck off my recordings.

Have a look here.

http://freespace.virgin.net/itv.regions/eyecfaq.htm

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 David Robinson

Originally posted by daveg
    My understanding is that only BBC had to provide their channel on the FTV system. My reason for saying this is that the FTV system is paid for by the UK TV licence & only BBC receives revenue from the FTV system. As we all know ITV/CH4 & CH5 receive no revenue from the TV licence (they get their revenue from advertisements). Therefore the only company "obliged" to carry the FTV system were BBc and as they are now broadcasting encrypted they are still fulfilling their obligations.
    The BBC are not "obliged" to transmit on satellite. No channel is. The BBC chose to go on Sky because of their policy of "platform neutrality" i.e. not favouring one digital platform over another. Also of course it gave them maximum digital coverage in the shortest time.

I assume you meant to say the BBC are "unencrypted".

I do think though that the BBC/ITV/C4/5 have at least a moral responsibility to keep faith with FTV users, many of whom have invested in equipment only to find they are losing some of their services.

ITV/C4/5 have indirectly profited from the TV licence, by getting a cheap or free ride on satellite courtesy of the BBC. Now they are being asked to pull their weight, they are crying foul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Just curious, for anyone who has received the dreaded banner, has this happened to anyone with a dedicated FTA box or has it only happened to people who card swap ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Mine is a dedicated FTA box I guess. The card was always for FTA channels only and the box isn't married to any other card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

mine too

The message of death arrived on channel four this morning-Thanks sky, I really wanted to know what it looked like and would have rang you if you hadn't sent it to me:D

I have a Uk Sub now anyhow, so the message can go and take a running jump:ninja:
    When the channels are finally completely blocked by Sky switching entirely to the new encryption code my FTV box will be quite happy to revert to being a BBC etc box.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Finally got the dreaded banner over the weekend on my FTV London Card. Thought I would somehow get away with it, now living in hope that British Government will intervene when/if there is a public outcry on the mainland !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is a public outcry..

But nothing will be done for months and months...

The original FTV and cancelled sub cards will be turned off "soon"

The P2 (new / version 2) FTV cards may stay working or may be turned off too. Nothing stopping Sky disabling FTV on ANY card. It is in their interests to promote subscriptions rather than FTV.

They are sending message to blocks of cards.

Likely they will disable the cards by blocks too.

They could easily continue present encryption just for ITV, C4 and Five on existing FTV cards. It wouldn't cost a penny. Even if they change to a "new" system on the new Pay TV cards.

However obviously Sky feel since BBC is out of picture they can turn off the existing cards and get some more subscribers.

Many people in UK have FTV cards / unsubsidized Sky even simply to get:
    Animorphic WS only on Digital (DTT or Satellite or Cable)
    Coverage by Freeview non-existant on nearly 20% of UK
    More than 15% have no analog Ch5
    Perhaps 10,000 can't get any analog well (0.1%)

Parts of wales, Scotland, Peak district, Lake District etc.

ITC has no powers to fix this.
    The new Ofcom will not have power maybe till Jan 2004!

• Advertisement
Advertisement