Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BellX1 Album. Any thoughts?

Options
  • 24-07-2003 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Any thoughts on the new BellX1 album?
    I think it's quite brilliant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

It's incredibly good.

I'll tell you how good it is. I bought it and put it on and even the girl here who listens to ****pop all day loves it. I mean that has to say something. She'd never heard of them before. I mean this is one ignorant girl - one who thought Al Qaeda was a some foreign man and that Martin McGuinness was the guy who invented Guinness. If you can see where I'm coming from. While this doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with Bellx1 I think it does actually speak volumes about the album in terms of accessibility if nothing else.

But from my point of view - I just really really hope it gets the attention it deserves now rather than in 20 years being rediscovered and hailed as one of those "must haves" in the collection or whatever. Know what I mean?

Anyway, Im being very general again. I've only listened to it twice-ish so I can't go into much detail on what I like specifically.

All I can say is buy this now - don't wait 20 years to discover it. are yiz listening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

From what I've heard, it's pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

it was interesting to see it get such a good review on c4 text as they slated damien rice's album. Altough they did call them the new u2 talk about a kiss of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 clintron

one word to describe it BRILLIANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Boring boring boring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭nuvolari

i like it a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Anything I've heard I've liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

i have been an avid fan of BellX1 since i first heard neither am i,i must point out that the first time i heard it i was slightly intoxicated,however that is irrelevant,in my view neither am i is amongst my (to qoute nick hornby)"all time top five"great albums,so hence with music in mouth as eagerly as i anticipated it,i also kind of didn't,in fear that it might a) be much better then neither am i or b)that it would even come close and turn me off bellx1 altogether-ANYWAY im rambling yes i like the album,i saw bellx1 at witness and i think that it carries well on to the stage. they retain their sense of "obscure lyrics" on this album which they got lamblasted for with neither am i but i think that if ppl weren't so saturated with blatenent "blah"in your face pop sh#t they might actually recognise a good song when they hear one-once again the rambling continues-and bands like bellx1 would get the respect,recognition,and money,they (and not the fiend like hounds of Louis Walsh)deserve.

Very good album,give it a few listens-eve the apple of my eye is beautiful,as is in every sunflower,where as songs like tongue kick ASS.Go buy enjoy and someone get me a coffe to stop my crazy ramblingness,and maybe a dictionary too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

Score. Brilliant album.
    I don't care if I'm lambasted by the "boring" brigade.
    I still think they're writing some of the best songs around.
    Quite apart from one or two slow burners that creep up
    on you unexpectedly... they have about four or five
    cracking singles on their hands there...
    next to you is stunning. perfect pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

havin my first listen now. good stuff.
    quite an experimental bunch of lads.
    i can't remember a year of so few interesting albums.
    i've made a dozen disapointing purchases but this one is interesting and worth hangin on to.

Eve, The Apple Of My Eye
    ...i remember some of that melody and lyrics from a Juniper acoustic session on an fm 104 rock show back in '98 i think.
    the original was beautiful. it's changed but still very nice.

Tongue
    ...good to hear a fresh version though it doesn't have the umph of the one they released before Neither Am I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i think its an excellent album
    highlights for me are 'eve, the apple of my eye' and 'daybreak'

the only flaws i can see is the fact that any bellx1 fans will already know all the songs quite well from them gigging them and sometimes its nice to have a surprise on an album

its still brilliant though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

So so impressed. I hadn't got a really good album in ages before this and now its so good that i can't stop listening and will soon get sick of it, but ah well. And judging by the crowd outside hmv yesterday, they could be giving damo a run for his money in the success stakes too, they're already equal in talent... yes i realise that was a different thread but i'm too lazy to find it, and noone start a fight, thats just one stupid chicks opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i'm too lazy or too unintelligent to go into detail si i'll just say that i think it's wonderful... highlights are i'll see your heart and i'll raise you mine and eve...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by Alana
    i have been an avid fan of BellX1 since i first heard neither am i,i must point out that the first time i heard it i was slightly intoxicated,however that is irrelevant,in my view neither am i is amongst my (to qoute nick hornby)"all time top five"great albums,so hence with music in mouth as eagerly as i anticipated it,i also kind of didn't,in fear that it might a) be much better then neither am i or b)that it would even come close and turn me off bellx1 altogether-ANYWAY im rambling yes i like the album,i saw bellx1 at witness and i think that it carries well on to the stage. they retain their sense of "obscure lyrics" on this album which they got lamblasted for with neither am i but i think that if ppl weren't so saturated with blatenent "blah"in your face pop sh#t they might actually recognise a good song when they hear one-once again the rambling continues-and bands like bellx1 would get the respect,recognition,and money,they (and not the fiend like hounds of Louis Walsh)deserve.

Very good album,give it a few listens-eve the apple of my eye is beautiful,as is in every sunflower,where as songs like tongue kick ASS.Go buy enjoy and someone get me a coffe to stop my crazy ramblingness,and maybe a dictionary too..

Neither am i is an amazing album;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

amazing album, left, right, centre, up, down, forwards, backwards.. i can't think of any other directions so you get the idea.
    oh- east north east, that too.
    every song's a highlight- they have such a base of brilliant lyrics&it all rocks.
    woo go bellx1!!
    pity i'm stuck at home typing as opposed to being in vicar street right now. that'd be pretty sweet.
    ah the absence of readily accessable cash in this world today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭beatsie

Yep

BellX1 are one of the better bands around at the moment.
    Were class at The Village

there are some pics of that gig at

http://www.mcd.ie/live/photos.php3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 giallorossi

its brilliant however i wouldnt be happy with q mag saying there the band radiohead should be now cause thats pants.

The album however is quick and smart, i love it

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

the album is brilliant I think, but I think the album lacks a kind of unity, the way you can listen to an album and the tracks merge into one another, but individually the songs are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"her indoors" has a copy of neither am I and she's quite keen on it, personally I think the highlight of that album was Man on Mir (the one phantom used to play every 5 minutes), which was a great, great song.

The rest of that first album was dull as ditchwater though... introspective noodling type stuff. Haven't heard the new album, but I saw them at the Heineken Green Energy festival and they could have bored for their country at the olympics. In the words of Homer "too much artsy... not enough fartsy". Methinks radiohead have a lot to answer for in churning out a generation of navel-gazing bands.

They are evidently good musicians though, as anyone who saw them doing "Like I love you" by Justin Timberlake at the Paddy's Day gig at the Village last year can testify. They just need to smash those accoustic guitars and stop being so bloody sensitive.

Also, is it just me, or are they on RTE constantly? I even saw yerman talking about how he uses his mobile phone to record melodies to play back to himself later on some technology programme. Either they've got a great publicist, or they're well connected.

And didn't they used to be Juniper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

i remember getting a copy of neither am i and losing it.

i never went looking for it.

they've always been a dreadfully overated act and to be honest i'm so surprised that people praise them.

kurdt i'm suprised at you.

And roxy getting somebody who does'nt have a clue about music to like a band who don't have a clue and are quite poor aint an achievment. Get her to like stiff little fingers and maybe you'll be on your way.

• Advertisement

Wow Raggamuffin, I wrote that in July, you godamn knob.

I can see why it would take you 5 months to come up with that spectacularly important reply.

Thousands of people love Bell x1. You don't.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

yeah that programme ID on network 2 are always getting some of the lesser known musicians. Had a brilliant live Rderigo y Gabrilea act a while ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

wow this thread has had a long life.
    i don't even remember postong it.

i don't even listen to the album anymore. i can't.
    i lent it to someone i don't like (never do such a thing),
    and had it returned with a broken box and finger prints all over
    the cd. it stinks of aftershave also. ggggrrrr....

don't get me wrong, i still like the album. it's just harder to listen
    to now.

ID is ok as long as they don't cut the acts off halfway through.
    *ahem*.... Mark Geary.

i'm a knob...

seems to me somebody's back is up how and ever i'm sure you're correct to say it was written 5 onths ago and you might by now think they are nt very good i'll accept that.

however i have nothing to "get over".

I don't feel my disliking them and everybody liking them as something that has to be dealt with personally. However if by chance you mean that with "thousands" of people liking and them and myself not, justifies them as a good band then i think you're very much mistaken.

what is mistaken, however, is the quality of the band and possibly the quality of what the general gig going public perceives as "good music".

If you got a bad taste in your mouth after buying a packet of crisps you send it back and they'll refund you. However this is not the case with many or any gigs.

So problem solved, show bands in ireland how much they're crap by booing what you want to boo and taking your money, and ears, elsewhere.

Your crisps analogy takes Bellx1's album title Music in Mouth to another level.

Interesting.

:)

tand for my next trick...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

You're forgetting one huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugely important thing though Raggamuffin - the simple fact that you don't like BellX1 does not make them a bad band. You were doing oh so well until you said that. For the first time ever you're articulating the reasons behind a lot of your opinions, which I think is great, and about bloody time too ;). Now if you could just remember that your opinion is just that - an opinion, you'd be flying! I like BellX1, and in fact I think they're a great band, therefore they are a great band. IN MY OPINION!!!!!

Use those 3 words a bit more and you'd make a hell of a lot more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well done for bringin this back up,
    the album definately deserves the attention.

apart from the odd song like pinball(class) "neither am i" didn't impress me.
    but there really is some savage tunes on this album...tracks 1-4, tongue, and sunflower are some of the finest songs i've heard this year...remind me of the mighty dEUS very much...some of the other tracks don't buzz me so much but there's enough there to throw a "fukin brilliant" label on it.

that song "alphabet soup", deadly wha'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Originally posted by Raggamuffin

kurdt i'm suprised at you.

why's that then? i'm sure i like loadsa bands that are 'dreadfully overated' or bands that are just plain bad

but thats just me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

stop being so frickin cynical bout other people's opinions and tastes man, relax a wee bit. this said a lot of people are gettin into the music fascism thing at the moment, so you're in good company.
    i was told today that i shouldn't like the doors because they're becoming too widely and socially acceptable.
    purely because the masses are finally (very very slowly but all the same) beginning to appear to sway towards the decent side of the musical world doesn't mean that it's turning into some sort of nouveau-pop, and we should spite it purely on that basis..
    if that were the case in a few years you should start listening to boyzone, by then nobody at all will remember them.. (they'll have finished puberty and started life) and you can herald their rediscovery as a miracle, because seeing as noone likes them, they must be good..

Advertisement