Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking news! - BBc FTA now

Options
  • 10-07-2003 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

All bbc one regions are fta right now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Are all the bbc radio stations available as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Checked 10.773 just minutes ago, and I'm not getting BBC3/4 etc, but I can get the regional variations of BBC1. Have you got the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Same here, I checked earlier on but only tried wales and scottish version and got the ususal 08 msg so persumed they hadn't gone FTA yet but the obviously the regions have, very stange. Also tried the upside-down card trick but the first channel is still travel on 181. anyone have anything different?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

All the regions are available now, BBC1 and BBC2 england just says programme not available, BBC3 and 4 says listings not available, wouldnt worry to much about that seens as they dont start till 7pm tonight, most of the radio stations are available, radio 5 live still says not available, same for cbeebies and cbbc channel, BBC Scotland Ditto

Will have to see what happens throughout the day

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All the BBC radio except 5 always was FTA. Stations will go clear during the day. First two TV were between 8 and 8.30 this morning.

I expect they'll be done by tea time.

Probabily not on Digibox FTA (upside down card) EPG till 29th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JoeDuffy

Is 5 Live in the clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by shinzon
    BBC3 and 4 says listings not available, wouldnt worry to much about that seens as they dont start till 7pm tonight,

Shin

i'm still getting no signal 10.10am

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Buckfast
    i'm still getting no signal 10.10am

dunno m8, just says listings not avaialble for me

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

5 live & 5 extra in the CLEAR @ 10:45

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

BBC 1 & 2 SCOTLAND now Free to Air!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

All BBC1 regions seem to be FTA right now, and the BBCi streams are FTA.

BBC news 24 08 this channel not available :confused:
    Are sky taking the mick:mad:
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Did anyone try the "upside-down" card trick to see if the default EPG now has the BBC channels listed?

~Paul.

These are the last group still not on

10773 H SR 22000 FEC 5/6

BBC One England
    BBC Two England
    BBC News 24
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC Three

i reckon soon we'll see em. yeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Give them a chance! It'll take a while to make all the channels FTA.

Patience my friend, patience! :):)

BBC NEWS 24 NOW WORKING,

ALL BBC CHANNELS FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Hey lads just writing to say im at work at the mo and no one is home can you please confirm that the bbc channels except

BBC One England
    BBC Two England
    BBC News 24
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC Three

are available on a normal bog standard grundig digibox in the south of ireland and will they be on Epg eventually.

This is such great excitement at work watching this unfold lets hope they all become FTA.

tHEY ARE NOW ALL AVAILABLE , INCLUDING

10773 H SR 22000 FEC 5/6
    BBC One England
    BBC Two England
    BBC News 24
    BBC Four
    CBBC
    CBeebies
    BBC Three

ALL AVAILABLE IN IRELAND THROUGH "OTHER CHANNLES"

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Yep news 24,c beebies cbbc are in the clear.The day has finally arrived:D :D:D

Corm500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Can you change channels through BBCi anymore?

You used to be able to but I am not sure since the last BBCi update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by ShaneOC
    Can you change channels through BBCi anymore?

You used to be able to but I am not sure since the last BBCi update?

You can't since the latest update :( the only channel you can view is News 24

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Wat up Guys i was home at lunchtime BBC Channels are here there and everywhere man. But the all important qusetion that has to be asked right are these channels going to available thru the epg and if they are lets hope the sooner the better.

MR. Charles Slane i think your the man and you certainly are the one if any to bring the scoop were lookig for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

can i get a HELL YEAH !!? :)

Checked at lunch time everything except BBC CI and T4 DEV-4 works on my PC.

Of course unlike Digibox it happily also does CBBC and Cbeebies on the BBC3 and BBC4 as it just reads the stored PIDs.

Other ones at lunch time:
    ETV3 = R1
    ETV = Cbeebies
    ETV2 = BBC1
    T4 DEV-3, T4 DEV-2, T4 STRM-2 all seem to be BBC1

Some of these might not show up on a Digibox.

ROI CARDed Digibox:
    214 and 215 do work with no card. But if you pull card out while on them the sound mutes after a few seconds. Changing channel fixes it.

So now I can click record or set scheduled recordings direct to disk of BBC. Makes Sat card more attractive (no monthly recording rental and option to burn to CD or DVD without recoding as the Satellite signal is already MPEG2).

I'd think the extra channels will not be on Irish EPG at all, possibly.

They look likely to be on FTA epg from 29th July. (Digibox that has never had a card or reboot with fake/upside down card. A tesco club card works for those that have lost a cancelled card.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

When are they installing the software update where UK viewers can set their English region?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by watty
    Checked at lunch time everything except BBC CI and T4 DEV-4 works on my PC.

Of course unlike Digibox it happily also does CBBC and Cbeebies on the BBC3 and BBC4 as it just reads the stored PIDs.

Other ones at lunch time:
    ETV3 = R1
    ETV = Cbeebies
    ETV2 = BBC1
    T4 DEV-3, T4 DEV-2, T4 STRM-2 all seem to be BBC1

Some of these might not show up on a Digibox.

ROI CARDed Digibox:
    214 and 215 do work with no card. But if you pull card out while on them the sound mutes after a few seconds. Changing channel fixes it.

So now I can click record or set scheduled recordings direct to disk of BBC. Makes Sat card more attractive (no monthly recording rental and option to burn to CD or DVD without recoding as the Satellite signal is already MPEG2).

I'd think the extra channels will not be on Irish EPG at all, possibly.

They look likely to be on FTA epg from 29th July. (Digibox that has never had a card or reboot with fake/upside down card. A tesco club card works for those that have lost a cancelled card.)

Watty this is very interesting as I have just bought a Radian all in wonder 9000 TV card. Basically your using your PC as a hard drive and I presume you have connected your TV out to your TV/Digisender?

Nope. Well sometimes. The TV out drives av in of an old Stereo VHS which connects to Home TV network/cable (only mono on RF) . The video sender is on an MMDS dish on chimney connected by very long multicore to VHS AV out inc stereo. It doesn't say in the instructions you can't put a bigger dish on it than the 3" one it came with. I clocked 6km through trees to another MMDS type dish on Window washing pole at car with the 6" TV monitor (CRT type) and Video sender receiver running of car cigar socket.

I can't find anything that says it's illegal... Not boosting power or anything..

I have a "Global" 4 way disqec switch connected by coax to the Satellite Card .

A Hauppuage WinTV DVBs PCI, similar to current Hauppauge NEXUS DVbs, both are rebadged Technotrend "HighEnd" or Premium. (A Skystar2/Technotrend basic or Hauppauge Nova DVBs is really only for data so is missing CI interface, DSP chip for HW MPEG2 decoding, TV and Audio Out, Media bridge chip for overlay and recording, all of which is in the "premium range cards).
    ===

The Switch is on Dish pole. One dish has 3 lnbs for 28E, 19E and 13E, The upper dish (4th LNB) is on a home made polar manual mount (no motor) and points wherever.

I have a WinTV analog card too in same PC and Cougar Video card in another PC and old MJPEG HW with MPEG1 HW decoder "FPS 60/Movieline" card in a 3rd PC.

Analog TV cards on PC are like Baird's 30 line mechaincal TV compared with a DSAT, Dcable or DTT card on PCI bus.

Even if I kill the application running on XP the card can still stream the data and decode TV video and audio on board to external real monitor or TV.

Since the Satellite data is already MPEG2 (which is much more compressed than Firewire DV) the PC hardly draws breath to record. Even a P120 with 8G hard drive worked, though the onscreen graphics didn't work on an old 4M video card. (no overlay mode).

The card has 3 hifi stereo outs built in
    Digital audio out for 5.1 or stereo
    Composite or S-Video out
    It can play nonVOB DVDs, SVCD etc HD file or real format CD/DVD MPEG2 files in almost any format / resolution at correct aspect ratio.
    Animorphic, letterbox or crop on built in video out.
    Learning IR remote sensor + handset
    Teletext
    OSD transparetnt menu of channels on ordinary TV, select by remote
    99 favs of TV
    99 favs of Radio
    Teletext on PC screen on ly, but text search entire magasine and create web page or web site of entire magasine. Which is why I have the 4 Irish TV channels stored. No video/audio but Teletext whole magasined cached with mouse click on any 3 digit number on a page to "hyperlink"

If in Limerick City with a Video sender on your Chimney don't let the Wireless LAN / WAN lads see you :D P.M. me for direction to point it!

Hint: Solder a connector (N-Type socket) onto the coax of the Digisender/video sender that comes out onf the shiny metal can to its flap or rubber duck aerial. Don't extend it. Get a Dish very like an MMDS one. Orientate the Plastic bit vertical and plug the fat black wire into the video sender. (Remove the "downconvertor" if there is one).

The dishes are about 45 Euro plus carriage from Kerry or 25 Euro S/H. RT Communications, Church Road Raheen might sell N-type sockets for RG58 cable or even chassis mount. Hills Electonics too.

Don't take one obviously belonging to Chorus. Unlike Sky they don't give away dishes..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    When are they installing the software update where UK viewers can set their English region?

It'll be a while - possible next year if ever. Remember that when this idea was first mooted, the BBC didn't want customers to have to use a viewing card at all.

Most Sky viewers in the UK have a UK card which will put the correct region on 101 so it isn't so much of an issue now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

tried the card upside down but it dosent work yet still no bbc channels in the epg you have to go via other channels will this change i wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Originally posted by watty

If in Limerick City with a Video sender on your Chimney don't let the Wireless LAN / WAN lads see you :D P.M. me for direction to point it!

:-)

I see you made use of the MMDS dishes? :-)

No wonder my noise figure on channel 7 has gone up !

eth2 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"Raheen001" Nickname:"ME2000"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.442GHz Access Point: 00:02:2D:00:CB:86
    Bit Rate:2Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm Sensitivity:1/3
    Retry limit:4 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:XXXXXXXXXXX
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:5/92 Signal level:-89 dBm Noise level:-94 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:152
    Tx excessive retries:1856 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Only joking BTW ! : It's a very good idea to extend a TV signal...

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

Edit : Hid my Encryption key :-)

Advertisement