Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tune in extra BBC Channels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I get a stong signal with excellent quality for the BBC transponder but when I do a transponder and network search I get no channels. I seem to be able to pick up all the other FTA channels. Any ideas?

Are you sure you are on the right satellite??
    A friend told me that BBC were in the process of changing transponders but that may be second-hand smoke

Try here for an up to date list.
    One further thing anyone know where to get a good cheap PCI DVB card.

Ask Watty

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Some satellite receivers ignore "encrypted" channels. Allegedly most BBC still are flagged on non-Sky as "encrypted". Mine is OK.

Usually there is a menu optoion to "Consider encrypted" or "ingnore encryption flag" etc.

Quite a few channels are marked clear that arn't and vice versa on other satellites.

This *might be* why they don't appear. You do have 22000 for SR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paddyponchero

Hi,

I was setting the dish using the box's default transponder for Astra 28E - unfortunately it's also a valid transponder for Astra 19E. Went to Easons and had a loook at the What Sat mag and realised that 99% of the channels I was getting were from Asta 19E. I change the transponder turned the dish a few degrees and bingo all is well. - Totally silly really :)

Thanks for the help and links :)

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes the amount of German would be a bit of a give-away though.

Glad you sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tporter

The BBC usually get their facts right-but has anybody noticed this comment on their digital reception page? Any comments on the statement that their digital services are available in the RofI through the Sky package?

Reception of BBC services in the Republic of Ireland

Viewers in the Republic of Ireland who have the necessary satellite dish and set-top box or integrated digital television receiver can receive the BBC’s digital satellite broadcasts as part of the multi-channel package offered by BSkyB.

Viewers who do not subscribe to BSkyB’s service will have to manually tune or re-tune their digital satellite reception equipment in order to receive the BBC channels. The BBC does not offer viewers outside the UK assistance with such tuning or re-tuning.

For information on how to receive the channels through BSkyB’s service, call BSkyB’s sales department on 0818 719 841.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Na, they've covered their ass on this one.

What they are saying in effect is, yes, you can watch the BBC channels in the Republic, but you need to set them up in "other channels" menu, but as its Sky's system, we're not going to tell you.

Well, we can! :D and its all on the first post on the first page of this thread. I never noticed that on the site, good one. Thats the official BBC reception line, and I like it! :D:D:D Thanks tporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

How many extra channels can you tune in with a standard set top box?

In "other channels", upto 50.

But beware, for some reason, if you have more than 40 in there, it can occasionally blank itself, and clear all the stored other channels, meaning, you'll have to put them in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

now that bbc is free for the last few months, just wondering is it still the same, ie, if I cancel my sub will I still get bbc 1,2,3, etc... also are the sky channels still coming up blocked even on a cancelled sub? v. annoying!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Ozzie
    now that bbc is free for the last few months, just wondering is it still the same, ie, if I cancel my sub will I still get bbc 1,2,3, etc... also are the sky channels still coming up blocked even on a cancelled sub? v. annoying!

thanks

you will still get BBC

blocked on a cancelled sub?? surely there would be no Sky channels on one anyway except for Sky News

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I think he may mean do the sky channels appear on the EPG?

Ozzie,

The answer is yes, all of the channels appear on a cancelled sub. The best thing to do if you cancel your sub is to take out your viewing card and then re-insert it upsidedown. This will get you the FTA EPG which basically the full UK EPG with BBC1 and 2 at the top. You will also get BBC3 and 4 on 115 and 116, BBC News 24 on 507 and CBBC and CBeebies up in the 600's.

Also all of the BBC1 and BBC2 regions are available from 941 to 963.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

That'll do nicely!

Thanks

This shows all you get without a card http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm
    PS Radio Five Live is FTA not FTV:) :):)

This is a good visual ADD Channels link http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyITV.htm especially if you have a FTV card.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

i know this might of been answered elsewhere but how do i go about getting a freeview card

A Free2View card is cover extensivly in this thread

HTH,

DMC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 johnd

I've noticed CH4 and ITV 1 & 2 are listed on BBC's freeview site ... www.freeview.co.uk

I've got a freeview box (not sky box) which requires no cards to view the BBC free channels. I assume I still cannot get CH4 and ITV1 and ITV2 on freeview via satellite ?

Thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

You assume correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

Can this way be done with Channel 4 if so does anyone have the information to add Channel 4 and ITV and UTV if possible to my digibox

Regards

Great Discussion Board

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Can this way be done with Channel 4 if so does anyone have the information to add Channel 4 and ITV and UTV if possible to my digibox

No chance ! you need a UK Sub for those channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

It can now be found on 10.847 v 22 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sooty

hi charles.

These free channels are brill. Thank you so much for all your information. How do I get BBC Radio 1? I can't seem to get H SR , just H???

Sooty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

H is the polarisation
    SR is the symbol rate (next field down)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I entered the codes to get more BBC channels but they still dont appear, why is that? am i doing something wrong. It saids the channels have been added but i cant find them. can anyone help me ?

Did you press the yellow button to tick all the channels that you want to store? If so, the press the "Services" button on the remote, and then choose "Other Channels"

All of your stored channels will show here, but not as a channel number like Sky One on 106, for instance.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

thanks DMC,

that is what i was doing wrong. i would look threw 101-330 all the channels and i couldnt find what i was looking for. but i did what you said and i now have BBC3.

Thanks a million.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i get them fine but it only seems to be at night they come in anyone else the same?

I presume B-man,you're talking of BBC 3 and 4-they only broadcast in the evening :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi

Great post, many thanks to all that have contributed to it :)

A couple of quick questions, if I may:

* Anyway to add the various BBC stations (other than 1 & 2) to the EPG, so I can:
    - get them on the usual channel line up (I'm a subscriber of sky btw)
    - get them on the EPG, so I can see whats on & when (not to mention select programmes on them for autoview etc)

* Any update on ITV 1 & 2 becoming available, along with CH4 & 5. Although I pay Sky bloomin' €60 per month (I know, I know, more fool me ;)), I don't get any of these ?

* Anyone got recommendations from the various other channels we can tune in & add to "Other Channels" pls - english speaking free views, frequencies etc ?

Cheers

Regards

G>

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement