Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ftv Cards Obsolete !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its clear in the fact that no new cards are going to be distributed, and no replacements will be issued.

And as no one is paying Sky to maintain it from now on, they will be turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

basically what its saying is if your Solus card doesn't have a picture of a house on it, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 are ultimately living on borrowed time. if your card does have a picture of a house, you should be ok (until BSkyB decide to change the cards again in 5 years time).
    Incidentally, since the 1st of July, no more Series 2 Solus cards have been issued. So R.I.P to Solus cards is a correct statement.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

£12 each? Eh
    For something that costs closer to £1

I smell a rat.

I think Sky are creating Fear Doubt and Uncertintanty (FUD) to get either UK Gov or ITV/C4/Five to pay for Solus operation because they make a *WACKING* profit out of it.

I'd imagine Sky reckon that they can't get away with disabling 2nd gen FTV cards but think they can get away with disabling 1st Gen cards..

This is Politics and Marketing of the worst kind. Not technology issues.

Only subsidised installs require phone and 1 year min.

Subscription to get a "new" card on existing box *IS* minimum one month (might in practice work out as two). So there *IS* still a route for FTV cards for Five, C4 and ITV.

Wether the effort is worth what you get to watch is down do personal taste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

>>>Subscription to get a "new" card on existing box *IS* minimum one month (might in practice work out as two). So there *IS* still a route for FTV cards for Five, C4 and ITV.

Watty, If that is so, can I just call them, give my box details, UK address etc. and credit card details or do they insist on direct debit?

04/07/03 Channel Four responds to Solus card change
    Channel Four has told SDO that their flagship channel will become a part of Sky's monthly package come 10th July. This comes in response to BBC's decision in going Free To Air on Sky Digital from that date onwards. Speaking to the Head of Press at Channel Four, Matt Baker, he also clarified that the channel will NOT be available to Free To Air set top boxes, which is a major blow to viewers' who do not subscribe to a Sky monthly package. The reason for this is because BBC who have been issuing the Solus viewing cards (Free To View) will stop doing so from next week, which means new viewers' who have plans to view the free channels on Sky will miss out on receiving Channel Four, Five and ITV1. Channel Four has also said that it does not have any intentions of distributing Solus cards because of the costs involved. Channel Four has no plans of following the BBC's Free To Air mode just yet, saying that they're "very happy" with how things are at the moment.
    News Feed: Raj Baddhan Source: Channel Four News Break: 12:39

They are very keen on Direct Debit. I heard you *CAN* use credit card.. but that may be untrue or out of date. Why not ring and ask?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

As regards the Channel 4 issue etc do people think that any P2 Sky Card whether ex Sub or offical FTV will continue to broadcast(ITV/C4/C5) or will those channels assume the status of ITV2.

Comments...

Shock! Horror ! I already posted this info in one of the many existing threads on the FTV issue. Me smells pot calling kettle black seeing as you always jump on anyone who starts a new FTV thread! ;op
    Apologies people for not scouring all the board to find a match before posting my thread. (which has since been closed),
    But i don't accept the claim that I jump down the throat of anyone who duplicates a thread. To my recollection, I have never done this. If Icehouse can point out any instances to the conterary (well I'm 'always' doing it apparently), I will take it on the chin, otherwise an apology is in order and we can get on with proper 'on topic' discussion.
    As regards the Channel 4 issue etc do people think that any P2 Sky Card whether ex Sub or offical FTV will continue to broadcast(ITV/C4/C5) or will those channels assume the status of ITV2.
    I think any series 2 Solus FTV card will continue to carry Channel 4 as well as ITV and Channel 5 after July 10th. But that is just an opinion. The only one who knows for sure is the person controlling the buttons.

Right funboys, get a room or stop yer bickering.

I'm not taking sides or refereeing this, (espically searching through posts for examples) but if there is anymore here, they get a week long ban. You have been warned.

I've my ****kicking boots on today for muppetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

I suppose another factor for C4 to consider is the interactive coverage of Big Brother. If they weren't freely available on satellite they would be wasting a lot of their interactivity skills.

Also ITV is venturing into the interactive world (WWTBAM for instance). Can't imagine most ITV punters subscribing to SKy to get those features....

We await July 10 when we should finally know what the future holds... maybe...

Originally posted by carrolls
    Apologies people for not scouring all the board to find a match before posting my thread. (which has since been closed),
    But i don't accept the claim that I jump down the throat of anyone who duplicates a thread. To my recollection, I have never done this. If Icehouse can point out any instances to the conterary (well I'm 'always' doing it apparently), I will take it on the chin, otherwise an apology is in order and we can get on with proper 'on topic' discussion.

My comment was in jest Carrolls, but as you obviously weren't the person who I was thinking of you had no way of knowing - sorry - I mixed you up with someone else who has been IMHO a little quick to jump down newbies throats lately (no names this time, as I'm not and wasn't looking for trouble!)

Damo, please feel more than free to remove my original post!

• Advertisement

This is clear if depressing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_card_index.shtml

If the old "true" FTV cards are disabled in August as seems likely, it is a scandal.

A lot of one month subs to "replace them" with updated cards will occur by the more knowledgeable that want ITV/C4/Five FTV by dish.

Don't forget that in UK "Five" reception is near as bad as TV3 here for coverage.

There is no free lunch.

Expect the "grey importers" of FTV cards to be offering 2 month UK subs. (The card becomes a FTV card after)

If fact if you are on an Irish Family pack and are in the amazing conditon of getting perfect Irish TV via aerial then a permenant UK sub makes more sense (BB interactive etc).

Me, I aim to spend less on pay TV and use the money for DVDs instead.

It is a bit mean on the FTV card viewers (in UK of course) to publicise and confirm this after it is too late to ring up an claim "the dog ate the card send me a new one".

In fairness to Beeb, this is a Sky thingy and Sky have been making it up as they went along to get most advantage out of what is to Sky a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Do the new generation FTV cards give you ITV/C4/C5 on an unmarried box, like with the old ones?

BOOM!

Its all over. I'm actually shocked how quick all this has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

Originally posted by DMC
    BOOM!

Its all over. I'm actually shocked how quick all this has happened.

What has happened???

I don't have a FTV card

I feel in the dark:(

Read a few threads here, and catch up, best advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

I see now what is going on!

This would be an interesting time to ring the SKY MONKEYS in SCOTLAND to find out about CH4 being available in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Now that ch4 is going subscription only on the sky system only it may be possible that we will get it in Ireland, we have every other sky subscription channel, :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but.......
    Old Solus card: ITV/Channel 4/Channel5 Getting switched off in August.
    New Solus Card:ITV/Channel 4/Channel5 Not getting switched off until next encryption change.
    Is this what I read from this ambiguous BBC Posting?:confused:

Its far from ambiguous. Its the most clear explanation of what is going on. From any source.

Channel 4 and 5 will be turned off rather soon, a matter of days, from the old cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Would it not be reasonable to assume that if any FTV cards are to be disabled on July 10 as widely speculated, then these viewers would at this stage be receiving an on screen message to contact their broadcaster.
    I doubt if SKY would cut off the many hundreds of thousands FTV card holders in one swoop without any warning.
    The phone lines would be hopping at the ITC,Sky etc...

Aersat.

• Advertisement

This is the part of the posting that to me is ambiguous:
    This card (Dark blue) will also cease to function when SKY change their encryption again in the future. We are not able to say at this time how long the dark blue card will continue to function; we will provide further information when it becomes available. When this card ceases to function you will lose ITV, Channel Four, and Channel Five, unless you start subscribing to a pay-TV package.
    How is that change of encryption defined. Is that whats actually happening in August or has the change in encryption already happened, and they are talking about the next encryption in a few years time? In other words, will ITV/Channel 4/Channel5 be cut off on the new cards in August too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I think they mean that the new FTV cards will continue to function untill Sky decide to issue a new batch of cards yet again (which could be in a year from now or four years from now... who knows).

Now on the ITC website ( The UK equivalent of ComREG or is it the ODTR...) there is this gem:
    However, for those viewers without a Sky subscription who make use of a free-to-view ('Solus') viewing card to receive free-to-air satellite channels, access to ITV, Channel 4, and five is expected to cease during the summer.

ITV was off Sky for long enough, and then they paid, to get on it, which must mean also that theres no legal imperative for them or to be available free on Sky's EPG.
    And the body that oversee's TV in the UK is telling us the bad news aswell.
    They don't differentiate in that statement between the newer or older card.

What for heavens sake was the point in continuing to activate and send out new solus cards, when all this was evident :confused: unless of course, whats on the BBC site and on the ITC is just speculation also??
    Wishfull thinking perhaps...
    Especially when one ponders that,a blue screen on ITV/4/5 would be in Sky's interests in that it would pack , those Solus viewers onto a sky pay package.
    Mind you ITV and ch4 could go the BBC FTA route then , to restore the almost status quo.
    $ky do have a lot of the cards when they are giving away Sky boxes and instalation for stg£1.
    I mean, why buy a box for hundreds of pounds to receive just the extra BBC channels when you get Sky world for a month and the family sub channels there after and at the same time be guaranteed ,ITV,4 and five in widescreen??
    most people with a bit of disposable income will go the Sub route in the UK, methinks and $ky know this.
    It's us poor sods in the ROI who are the losers again.....
    Develara I keep saying this, but look what you did to our future satellite viewing when you took us out of the U.K:D
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Is there any chance of lumping all the FTA Solus card queries into one thread, as its getting hard to follow everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Robert

It is dead easy.

1. The old style FTV cards will be switched off when SKY have completed the issuing all the NEW STYLE viewing cards.

2. Anyone who was lucky enough to get the NEW STYLE FTV cards will receive everything except C4 until SKY issue another NEW batch of viwing cards. Say 4 years.

3. C4 goes pay to view wef 10 July to coinicide with BBC going FTA.

5. SKY has about 6 million paying customers so all of these will still get C4 as if nothing happened.

6. For the rest the onscreen message will no doubt advise them what has happened to stop the phone calls.

Need anymore? Just ask.

gb--

I see the BBC has changed their information to make it make the posting less ambiguous re. the points I raised earlier in the thread.
    Here is the new info. Notice the new comments about the dark blue cards. 3-5 years lifespan. Thats all I needed to know.
    It is NOW a non-ambiguous post.:D . Well done BBC.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/dsat_card_never_sky.shtml

>>C4 goes pay to view wef 10 July to coinicide with BBC going FTA

Hang on, where does this info come from? I understood that C4 would continue to be available until light blue cars are de-activated. And I would think that it will continue to be available on dark blue FTV cards. Anyone new who wants it will have to take a Sky sub to get a card, but C4 will remain a free element...??

Someone at least reassure me that C4 won't cut off before I've seen The Adam Ant documentary on July 17th...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

IF YOUR CARD IS DARK BLUE
    (With a picture of a yellow house on it, and was received since February 2003)

You will get access to all the
    FREE-TO-AIR channels,
    & the FREE-to-VIEW CHANNELS..

You will get your correct regional (or national) version of BBC ONE and BBC TWO, plus your localised ITV region, at channels 101, 102 and 103 respectively.

Additionally, if you live in England, a local version of BBC ONE will appear at channel 101 when these variants launch at the end of July.

If you live in Wales you will get S4C at Channel 104, instead of Channel Four.

You will be able to get all the other regional & national variants of BBC ONE & TWO in the 900 numbers on the EPG from the end of July, regardless of where you live.

We understand from Sky that your card will continue to work for between three and five years.

We are unable to answer questions on non-BBC services

Thay say we should get C$4. I have a new FTV card in the post and i hope to have it activated wednesday.

Originally posted by irishgeo
    Thay say we should get C$4. I have a new FTV card in the post and i hope to have it activated wednesday.

I got given one by chance and got it activated it last night ;o)

FTV helpdesk were really hedging their bets though on whether it will be of any use in the future. Girl had a prepared script along the lines of "From July 10 a viewing card will no longer be required for the BBC channels. ITV, Channel 4 and five will in the future be available for free on Sky package subscription cards".

When I asked her to explain why she was telling me this after activating a new FTV card for me, she told me she had no other info!!!

I still reckon that these type 2 FTV cards are likely to stay active, even for Channel 4, and that in the short term the only way that people can get their hands on 'FTV cards' will be to cancel a type 2 sub card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I got the onscreen message on the ftv card starting with 089 as predicted. The other one which has same blue back but serial starting with 103 is not giving me this message.I got this in Jan this year.. Anyone else add to the confusion?
    There is a rumour that a Dbox2 with appropriate software for those in the know can view CH4 and ITV using a ftv card.... (is this legal!?)

Advertisement