Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live premiership soccer 3pm Sat on Irish terrestrial

Options
  • 20-06-2003 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

See the link from 2003/2004 season

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,981455,00.html

The important package in here that can be bid for is

IRISH LIVE PACKAGE

How many matches? One game every Saturday.
    When will they be shown? 3pm Saturday, in the Republic of Ireland only.
    Who can bid? Irish pay-TV broadcasters, Irish free-to-air broadcasters.

Surely either RTE or TV 3 will grab this package with both hands.
    It will be great to have premiership soccer live again on Saturday afternoon like the old days.

Andy Mc

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I assume this is a new package available. I hope its not an old package that wasn't taken up by RTE/TV3 due to the cost.

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Andy Mc

As a result of interference from the EU in Brussels you are no longer able to see TV rights for football on an exclusive basis, the Champions league is the precedent, that is why there are so many varied packages now on offer. Sky's current exclusive agreement which expires next season prohibited live premiership soccer being shown on RTE/TV 3.

Andy Mc

That has to be the best news I've heard in a while

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Could SKy not bid for this and then use the Conditional Access Software to Setup SKy Sports 1 Irish to show that game on a saturday.

RTe could bid for this but where is the Highlights package for us irish viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

its very good news on the face of it but dont forget it will go to the highest bidder either terresteral or satelitte. with all skys money they will be sure to bid high enough and give an irish opt out with irish ads. cant see rte tv3 matching it ala irish home games. maybe they will do. the only reason it was not on rte the last 10 years is that sky have consitently added a little add on to their uk contract " uk and republic of ireland rights" so thus blocking rte from showing live matches no matter how much rte bid/ llets hope for the best.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hmm i read this this morning.
    The League says the new deals will see more televised matches on Saturdays, fewer on other days of the week, yet will continue to protect the Saturday 3-5pm slot from live transmission.

Read the full list of stuff here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3005296.stm

live footie at 3pm on saturdays wont happen methinks.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

tthats only in the uk in the actual tender document issued by the premierleague it invites applictions for 3pm live matches in the republic of ireland only thus not allowing it be showed in the uk. so its allright then hope this clears it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

doesn't that 3pm thing only apply to the UK. something about live Saturday games not on tv to maximise attendance figures. showing them live in this country wouldn't affect that

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I may be wrong but this deal, if it is signed will not take effect until the 2004/2005 season as Sky still have one year left on their current contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 strettie1

Also remember the 3.00pm on a saturday will be the fifth choice match of the weekend as the UK rights are scheduled as follows :

Gold package 4.00 Sundays 38 matches firstchoice of weekend fixtures

Silver package 8.00pm Monday or Tuesday night 38 matches second choice

Bronze package 12.00 / 5.00pm Saturday 62 matches 3rd and 4th choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Watch BSkyB shares drop over the next few months.
    Will people be inclined to pay £8 per match to Sky, when they will be getting live matches at Saturday lunchtime and teatime on BBC/ITV, and at 3:00 in Ireland on RTE?
    Premiership football is Sky's core revenue generator and it is a serious problem
    for them if that is jepordised .
    I think people will be happy with their lot and not use Sky when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Na, by the sounds of it, in the Guardian today, they feel that Sky will have to cover themselves and go for all 3 Live packages.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,982293,00.html

Also, it is entirely possible, that Sky Sports will have an Irish opt-out to show that one match on Saturday afternoon for Irish viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

If we see Sky setting up an Irish Sky Sports channel in the next year, this will confirm Sky's Irish opt-out.
    I don't see many Irish people paying money to see a Premiership match at 3:00 on a saturday.

The Saturday time slot may be billed as 'Bronze' but when the CL comes around a lot of the teams involved will play on Saturday as Sunday & Monday will clash with their preparations for the Tues/Wed match.

I think the Saturday matches will have some cracking games.

Hyzepher

As expected Sky have bid for all three higlights packages.Apparently Europe is not to happy about it

Quoted from Digital Spy:

Sky "may face legal challenge" to football bid
    09:45 BST, Tuesday 15th July 2003 -- by Neil Wilkes
    The Premier League could become the subject of an investigation by the European Commission if it accepts a £1billion bid from Sky for the rights to live football games.

According to The Independent today, Sky has made the £1 billion offer to the League on condition that it is awarded all three possible live rights packages. If it isn't awarded one of them, it will withdraw its offer and pay less for theose packages it does manage to secure.

It was the Commission who pressured the League into splitting its rights down into many smaller packages after Sky was easily successful in its bid for the single live rights package last time around. If true, an acceptance of this latest offer would mean the Commission would have been unsuccessful in its aims, and a full investigation could follow.

Sky's current three-year deal with the League is worth £1.1 billion for 66 games a year. The new contract, beginning in the 2004-05 season, will offer 138 live matches per season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

If RTE or TV3 were to get the rights would the match not be available in the UK for those with a FTA box?
    Surely it would be just like it is with the Dutch and Nowegians showing the live premiership games on saturdays!

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Imposter
    If RTE or TV3 were to get the rights would the match not be available in the UK for those with a FTA box?
    Surely it would be just like it is with the Dutch and Nowegians showing the live premiership games on saturdays!

Definately missing something :D

RTÉ and TV3 are not available on FTA boxes. They are only available to Irish subscribers of the Family Pack (or higher).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭timpat

IF RTE and TV3 end up showing Premiership games lives we can expect surge in demand for Irish sub cards across the water!

Originally posted by timpat
    IF RTE and TV3 end up showing Premiership games lives we can expect surge in demand for Irish sub cards across the water!

i would expect a few of my friends to ask me about getting a subscription for them. if Sky got all 3 packages, would that affect the chance of an Irish broadcaster getting games on 3pm Saturday

has any Irish broadcasters put in a bid. it is my understanding that they have to be in by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Hopefully it's TV3 who do the bidding. I'd prefer if RTE didn't waste Irish license money showing English football. Don't get me wrong, I'd watch it myself too, but I don't think RTE should be investing money in things like that.

• Advertisement

Why the hell not? I would much rather English Footie on TV than some crap from the states.

TV3 coverage of any football game is woefull at the best of times.

Eammon and co providing Keane comments every week no matter who is playing.

Will this splity highlights package mean sky could have Liverpool Arsenal and the other big team on every week on sunday etc and RTE would have to get the leftovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

RTE should be investing their public money in home grown programmes and domestic sports. (gaa, rugby, league of ireland) In fact, when RTE owned the full rights to FAI internationals, League of Ireland football rights were included. But RTE never bothered to show it.

Showing Rangers-Celtic, English football, American soaps etc etc shouldn't be the main goal of a public broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Wiggy

Originally posted by Imposter

Are those Dutch and Norwegian channels available on Astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

RTE should be investing their public money in home grown programmes and domestic sports. (gaa, rugby, league of ireland) In fact, when RTE owned the full rights to FAI internationals, League of Ireland football rights were included. But RTE never bothered to show it.

Showing Rangers-Celtic, English football, American soaps etc etc shouldn't be the main goal of a public broadcaster

it has to be said that irish programmes are getting better in quality.... but you have to admit that most of the irish stuff is complete and utter muck...... they are always cheap copies english and american programs anyway..... fair city is a perfect example.... what an awful waste of license payers money that is...... that camera cafe rubbish as well.... what are these people thinking when they are making these shows...

the state broadcaster should be putting money into programmes that people will actually watch, such as a live premier league game on a saturday....

imagine the audience that would draw compared to a crappy league of ireland game!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    fact, when RTE owned the full rights to FAI internationals, League of Ireland football rights were included. But RTE never bothered to show it.

That was absolutely idiotic, If they were to show a live Eircom league match on a friday they would certainly get more ratings than whatever they might have on N2.
    I'd certainly watch it.
    Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    Showing Rangers-Celtic, English football, American soaps etc etc shouldn't be the main goal of a public broadcaster.

I think its great that they show SPL games live now & I'd love them to show live prem games aswell. (Lets face it its theese shows which get them they're ratings)

Originally posted by celticfc
    (Lets face it its theese shows which get them they're ratings)

indeed. more ratings = better revenue which will give them more cash for home grown stuff

the Champions League in September will do RTÉ a world of good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

indeed. more ratings = better revenue which will give them more cash for home grown stuff

yes they could invest the extra revenue in home grown products or they could buy some program we can all see (about %80 of the population anyway) on british tv and continue to fly business class

which is more likely ?

I wonder will RTE bother with the UEFA cup now they have CL coverage. Hate to see C5 get it. I am only wondering as the pool are in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr.M

Originally posted by Wiggy
    Are those Dutch and Norwegian channels available on Astra?

C+ Holland is on 19e and C+ Nordic is on 1w

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Mr.M
    C+ Holland is on 19e and C+ Nordic is on 1w

Is C+ Holland FTA?

Advertisement