Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best game you ever played?

Options
  • 27-06-2002 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite game ever?I would have to say that in 9 years of gaming on 3 consoles and the PC,that Ive never played a more addictive game than GTA3.Judging that 90% of new threads on the forum concern GTA3 I doubt many will disagree.I mean its just so f*cking unputdownable!It should be billed as the game which will eventually possibly destroy your eyesite and kill your social life.Im gradually coming out of it now but despite having the game 2 months,i only really got down to serious gameplay a few weeks back[when i should have been revising for the exams of all times:D ].Its more than a game its a way of life,a dependence fuelled drug.Last week i would typically get up at 1pm,play until 6,do whatever for a few hours[mainly further research of the game on the net],and at 10 resume play until 2-3am.Since ive finished the main missions ive finally broken free from its grip but DAMN thats some game!
    So whats your favourites?Are yall joining me for my GTAA [GTAcholics Anomonyous] meetings?Or have you possibly played an even more adictive excelent game?Before this id probably played medal of honour for the most time,but nothing compared to GTA3.Driver was great in its day but you now realise that GTA3 is driver with guns,violence and so much more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm in the middle of GTA3 addiction at the moment too, but the best game I've ever played must be Final Fantasy VII. I couldn't get over how good it was, got totally absorbed in it to the total exclusion of friends, family, food and sleep and only stopped playing because I had to give back the playstation to the people who lent it to me! Great gameplay, absorbing story, visually inventive... It was a wonderful, wonderful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

No chance is GTA3 the most addictive game, that award goes to Championship Manager, it's a never ending game, and once you get sucked into it it's quite difficult to break free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im leaning towards GTA3 its unreal i cant believe how good it is.
    My other fav was iss98 on N64.
    But GTA3 is taking over slowly.
    kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

GTA 3. It never gets old. So much to do etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

No chance is GTA3 the most addictive game, that award goes to Championship Manager, it's a never ending game, and once you get sucked into it it's quite difficult to break free.

have to agree with the man, I also found sim addictive once....but it turned out to be gas.

Black and white had me completely addicted, when I wasnt playing it I was rocking back and forward on my bed in dirty underpants and a T-shirt living off the crumbs that I had dropped from an earlier re-fueling of Jaffa-cakes when I had torn myself away for 15mins to goto the shops, had the phone unplugged and turned off all the lights,
    I eventually stopped playing when I had to begin naming all the cups that grew Fur.....

Hmmm, GTA3 is good, but I also have JK2 and Halo beside me and I havent even begun to play JSRF so....

maybe if I had the radio in the game....I play without it...

well I think every1 would agree with me here
    "If Boards.ie was a game , they'd have to open up a clinic"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

FFVII or Pax Imperia Eminent Domain

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Emyln Hughes International on the commodore 64

best (soccer) game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Well considering I have been playing games for 16 years (since I was 6), I couldn't just choose one.

I always liked games I could share with my friends either through competition (2-player) or group efforts. I have very distinct memories of myself and my still close mates playing Mario Cart on the SNES & Mortal Combat 2 (christ we were lethal at it). At the same time we all had Amiga's and played Monkey Island 1 & 2 (2 having the greater impact). Then it was Playstation time, and Resident Evil was one of those all nighter games (all of them). Then came Half Life. There would be many more, some of which I can't remember the names of (mainly point & click adventures in 16bit times).

When somebody asks me about my favourite games, I only remember them that way. It wasn't about graphics, or even gameplay, it was about how the game created an enjoyable experience that embedded itself in the memories of myself and my mates. :)

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 [niKo]

The best game EVER?! Hard to choose. I've just been playing counter-strike (and the past year and a half!) all night but I wouldn't call cs my all-time fave game. Cs is great, but it doesn't have that special place in my heart like some other truly brilliant games... Anyways, the game I most fondly remember is probably Zelda for the SNES. Super Mario World also has a special place in me (aaah the memories!). As for my favourite multiplayer game; that has to be Bomberman 2 four-player action (SNES again). I thought FFVII was brilliant too...Sorry, but there are just too many games to choose from! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

Half-Life of course. I can still remember some of the cut scene action years after I first played it. Like the first encounter with the grunt forces or the ninja chicks. And the moment you realised that you had to distract the huge monster in the silo using the grenades. I still start the game over from time to time. Still the best imho. And not to mention CS of course... best £30 I ever spent.

Actually another one that really got me hooked was Baldurs Gate. I played that almost non stop for weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Best game is too hard.

Best games ??

In order of appearance...

Creatures 1 & 2 (C64) - Addictive, challenging, and the desire to see the next torture screen was overwhelming :-)

Super Mario World (SNES) - Best platform game ever, no contest. Just played it through on the GBA and its as good as ever!

Zelda IV (SNES) - What? Its morning already?

Mole Mania (GB) - Most addictive puzzle game I ever played. The level design was genius....

Ultima Underworld (PC) - I was p1ssed off when I finished it - I didn't want it to end!

Day of the Tentacle (CDROM - PC) - The full talkie version of this was one of the funniest games ever made.

System Shock (PC) - Loved the way the story slowly unravelled. Seriously creepy game too.

GTA3 (PC) - No need to tell anyone how addictive this game is.....

Other games like Jedi Knight 2, Half Life, Yoshi's Island, Mario 64, Zelda's Ocarina etc. spring to mind, but don't fall under the "best game ever" category.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

A little game on the Spectrum called 'Chaos'. Up to 8 players, turn based, wizards creating creatures and doing battle.
    Amazing!
    Did create a few fights though, especially if somebody was killed off early in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Zelda on the SNES was amazing. (Coming out for GBA soon with a new 4 player game on it too)

I loved my C64 tho'. Creatures was fantastic on it.....nothing like the pc title of the same name. This one had lots of cute creatures being horribly tortured. I still remember having to leave the room when it was loading in case a vibration on the tape deck stopped it from loading.......Ahhhhh, memories...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I love these threads, where everyone tries to give the most obsecure and/or old game they can think of...

I have to give the simple, yet predictible answer of Championshop Manager 97/98!

Since Ive been to the game on exibition over here in London and played every game ever I will say my second favourite game is the original version of Pong on a massive screen, playing against one of your work mates who is drunk and who you therefore beat big stylee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

pele's soccer - atari 2600 (rocking)
    centipede - atari 2600 (rocking again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Commodore 64 - Last Ninja 2
    Mega Drive - Shining Force 2
    Playstation - Formula 1 '95
    P.C. - Baldurs Gate or Championship Manager 97/98

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Little Big Adventure 1&2, C&C Red Alert, Civ2 and Tie Fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Man, I forgot about that one. LBA 2 was a classic. Only took me a week to finish, but thats because I was playing it ALOT !!

Speaking of strange french games, how about Another World, Flashback and Heart of Darkness ??

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I really, really loved Goldeneye [n64], especially multiplayer.

I was hopeless but methinks its the enjoyment that counts the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

C64:
    Creatures 1/2
    Paperboy
    Wonderboy
    Platoon
    Supremacy
    Last Ninja 1/2/Remix/3
    Bubble Bobble
    New Zealand Story

SNES:
    ShadowRun

MegaDrive/MegaCD/32x:
    Sonic
    Desert/Jungle Strike
    Doom (32x)
    ToeJam & Earl
    (can't remember any others at the moment)

DreamCast:
    Sonic
    Sega Rally 2
    Shemue

PC
    ----
    Doom I/II
    C&C Tiberium Dawn / Red Alert
    Baldur's Gate 1/2
    Half-Life
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Jedi Knight 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

There can never be a "Best Game Ever" as games are still being made and the hardware is getting better every month its seems,so the Best Game Ever is yet to come :)

Saying that tho,here's a list of some of the best games Iv played so far...

Head over Heels - Spectrum 128

Dungeon Master - Amiga 500

Captive - Amiga 500

Shadow of the beast - Amiga 500

Elite - various

PC Games

Ulimta 7

Ultima Underworld 1 +2

Ultima Online

Everquest

Conflict Freespace 1+2

Quake 2

Halflife

Monkey Island all of em

Zak McKracken and the Alien mindbenders

Day of the Tenticle

Jedi Knight 1+2 and Dark Forces

Xwing - Tiefighter

Tekken 1,2,3 and Tag

GTA 1,2,3

Balders Gate 1+2

and any good stuff iv yet to play :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,950 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best game ever for me and probably always will be would have to be Final Fantasy VII. In the weeks I was playing it nothing else mattered except it. I still go back to it now and again and even though the graphics have dated badly nothing comes close to its story or has a better cast of characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The Championship Manager series has to be up there so crazily addictive and realistic and brilliant. Day of Defeat gets my nod for the best online game it wipes the floor with CS and the level design is just amazing. All in all without trying to be obscure my favorite game ever is Grim Fandango some of the puzzles were stupid hard and made little sense but the storyline was jsut incredible and the characters were amazing. Manny has to be the best game character of all time.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

For me, best games of the last few years are Thief 1 & 2 and System Shock 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Pfffffttttttt, Counter-Strike of course in a never-ending quest to beat your peers online. Highly addictive and what I think is the best game of all time, I look forward to others seconding that. Next down would be Shinobi on the Game-Gear. Really, really, really addictive and I distinctly remember everytime I lost in that game I would bash the Game-Gear off my knee, can't do that for CS though, I play in a net cafe and would have to pay for damage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I can't think of any game, recent or otherwise, that has amazed me quite like Ico.

There's less than a weekend's worth of playing in there, but that is not an issue.. the game was simply as long as it needed to be.

Absolutely breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

So many to choose from, games which have taken up a large portion of my time are:
    Minesweeper - Vectrex
    Turrican 1 & 2 - C64
    Microprose Soccer - C64
    Jumpman - C64
    Magicland Dizzy - Spectrum
    Super Mario 3 - NES
    Tetris - Gameboy
    Mortal Kombat 2 - Megadrive
    Fifa (Original) - Megadrive
    Star Wars (Arcade Cabinet)
    Ghosts n'Goblins - Arcade (C64)
    Golden Axe - Arcade
    Sega Rally - Arcade Cabinet
    Final Fantasy 7 - PSX
    Metal Gear Solid - PSX
    Resident Evil - PSX
    Silent Hill - PSX
    Soul Reaver - PSX
    ISS Soccer 98 - PSX
    Medal Of Honor - PSX
    Sensible World of Soccer - Amiga
    Zelda - N64
    Mario - N64
    Star Wars Rogue Squadron - N64
    Metrolopolis Street Racer - DC
    Shenmue - DC
    Quake 3 Online - DC (Worked Really well)
    The Secret of Monkey Island - PC
    Half Life - PC
    Deus Ex - PC
    Operation Flashpoint - PC
    System Shock 2 - PC
    Pro Evolution Soccer - PS2 (Still going strong)
    GTA3 - PS2 (Still going strong)

I could go on forever, these are the ones that come to mind straight away as ones I spent more time on than is probably healthy. Taken on their merits today, it's a straight fight between OpFlash, GTA3, Pro EVolution Soccer, Deus Ex and Half life and it depends the mood I'm in which I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

<EDIT>Posted that one twice</EDIT>, Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Stop posting huge lists of good games eff ess :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Its a toss between Doom series and half life.......
    But then theres Age OF Empires....... and golden eye..... and mario kart......... then smash brothers... ARGH THE LIST IS ENDLESS, i have to go to my little corner and think about penguin's...........

Advertisement