Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia Premiere Edition €59.99

Options
  • 17-03-2021 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Seen on hukd. Down from €99.99.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/stadia

I was looking for a new Chromecast anyway for ssport plus, so this seemed like a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

onform wrote: »

I was looking for a new Chromecast anyway for ssport plus, so this seemed like a good deal.

If you pay the extra tenner for Chromecast w. Google TV you can install the Ssport APK directly (it runs on my mibox 3) as well as VPN software so you won't have to set it up on your router. Probably not as much of a bargain considering the Stadia stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

onform wrote: »

Looks a good price, is the Stadia service good? Would be curious to see if anyone has any experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dirtyden wrote: »
    Looks a good price, is the Stadia service good? Would be curious to see if anyone has any experience.

I think Stadia will fade into obscurity. I've never seen any positive reviews of it. Even on the best of connections people experience lag etc. Not a bad deal if you want the chromecast ultra anyway I suppose but a chromecast with google tv would be as good if you were not bothered about the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I got it for free when purchased Cyberpunk '77 and been using it since.
    Daily, for hours per day.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Yeah, it's very good. You can buy a game and play whenever. You dont even need to pay subscription if you dont want to and you can still play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Fifa 21 just dropped on it today,if you don't want to pay 400 or 500 on games console this is a no brainer,but I am a light user just bought fifa and with that and pga golf they will be what I play most on it,suits me for what I need it for and especially the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

A review I saw said that because the games are downloading as you're playing them, the lag time between you doing something and the reaction onscreen is woeful. Like, really shocking.

The idea is fantastic but it's too good to be true, there has to be a catch. It doesn't work at all seems to be the catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

Tom

Another Positive Review here. Cyberpunk played really well. On Virgin's 250mb package. So not even the fastest. Had chromecast plugged directly into router and over wifi. Used my phone, laptop and tv to play. Hours and hours into the game and no complaints. Have a PS4 and it hasnt been booted since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There are rumours that google will likely shut this down in the next couple of years based on them shutting down the development team for building their own games for their own service. Its under performing overall and the games licenses are locked into stadia.

https://theprint.in/tech/google-shuts-down-in-house-stadia-game-development-studio/597026/

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭tomfoolery60

A review I saw said that because the games are downloading as you're playing them, the lag time between you doing something and the reaction onscreen is woeful. Like, really shocking.

The idea is fantastic but it's too good to be true, there has to be a catch. It doesn't work at all seems to be the catch.

As someone who uses it, I can say there is no "catch" other than a limited library of games. It works excellently for me on my TV with the CC Ultra and on my Chromebook (and my phone when I've tried). I have normal Eir broadband (not fiber).

If you want to try it there is a one month free trial to the "Pro" service and you can see for yourself rather than reading reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Tom

And there is sale for Jedi Last order till 1st of April.

Tom

Stadia latency is actually typically better than console latency. Consoles have on average ~100ms of input lag (plus up to an additional 50ms if your TV is not in low latency game mode). Latency on Stadia is typically much less, and can even be less laggy than a console when even just using 4G.

So if latency on a console has never bothered you, and if you have good internet and have it set up correctly, then latency on Stadia should bother you even less.

The only thing better than Stadia in terms of lag is a high end PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Thanks OP.

Would anyone know, if you have Sky Go on an android phone, can you cast that to the chromecast ultra? Or is there any way to get sky go working on the chromecast ultra?

Looked around a bit online and not able to see for sure if it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would anyone know, if you have Sky Go on an android phone, can you cast that to the chromecast ultra? Or is there any way to get sky go working on the chromecast ultra?

It doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,212 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks OP.

Looked around a bit online and not able to see for sure if it would work.

No chronecast compatibility for sky go. Cant even hook up a hdmi anymore to get it on a bigger screen.

Tempted by this Stadia deal, like another poster I'd be such a light gamer that this would be perfect for fifa for me. Havent really heard anything bad about the service except for the lack of games on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think this is the only way to get a Chromecast Ultra from Google at the moment. My father was looking for an Ultra recently.
    I was looking on their site for one but it only had the plain Chromecast and the new "Chromecast with Google TV".

I presume the new one can do everything the Ultra can, and probably plays Stadia too, but its more expensive at €70 on its own, plus the controller is about another €70.
    So you can get this for €60, or the newer one + a controller for €140.

Definitely a bargain, and more so if you don't want "Android TV OS", which is the case with me as my parents don't want to learn a new OS.
    I'd nearly buy this and keep the controller, and see if it can be hacked to use with Steam or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I think this is the only way to get a Chromecast Ultra from Google at the moment. My father was looking for an Ultra recently.
    I was looking on their site for one but it only had the plain Chromecast and the new "Chromecast with Google TV".

I presume the new one can do everything the Ultra can, and probably plays Stadia too, but its more expensive at €70 on its own, plus the controller is about another €70.

Definitely a bargain, and more so if you don't want "Android TV OS", which is the case with me as my parents don't want to learn a new OS.
    I'd nearly buy this and keep the controller, and see if it can be hacked to use with Steam or something.

Don't think the new one works with Stadia yet. Typical Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The_B_Man wrote: »

It doesn't work with the new chromecast (yet). My plan was to buy it and sell the ultra. I installed the app on the new chromecast and it didn't work properly. So now I've one TV with two chromecasts.

I'm enjoying stadia so far though. I signed up to a trial last year and have Bomberman and Destiny 2 for some reason. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just ordered this. It's a no brainer.

Chromecast will come in handy and the price is worth it just to mess around with the Stadia.

Looking forward to it arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

DopeTech wrote: »
    I think Stadia will fade into obscurity. I've never seen any positive reviews of it. Even on the best of connections people experience lag etc. Not a bad deal if you want the chromecast ultra anyway I suppose but a chromecast with google tv would be as good if you were not bothered about the controller.

I have two, in two different rooms- one wired and one wireless, and have had great craic playing games on both. Not only that, but I have played on my Macbook Air, my Pixel and my PC. A terrific service with some flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Can't apk's be sideloaded to this version.?It says comes with Google Chromecast Ultra 2 included.

What is the difference between Ultr and Ultra2 and Chromecast Google TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

patq16 wrote: »
    Can't apk's be sideloaded to this version.?It says comes with Google Chromecast Ultra 2 included.

Chrome cast with Google TV is more like a Firestick. You can install Netflix, Disney + etc. But not Stadia for some reason ( it is coming apparently).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine arrived yesterday. You get €10 off your first order. I wanted to give the game Grid a go. Was down from €45 to €12. Used my €10 voucher so only spent €2 on it. Game worked perfectly.

Will download PGA Golf soon. Never thought of that so thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

After much deliberation I decided to buy one of these.
    I love the odd game of fifa and a good fps, but with two toddlers now and much evening study for the last number of years, I haven't played in a game myself in about a decade.
    With the amount of spare time I have there is no way I could justify buying a console.
    This seems perfect for me at a great price point.
    Really looking forward to playing it now I must say.
    Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really don't need this and prolly won't use it but still want to buy it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Pulled the trigger on this just now. Decided the €10 off for the first game and a month's trial was the clincher.

Will be interesting to give it a go anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I went for it too at that price. Couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm tempted.
    60 euro is quite a bargain. I'm not one got paying full price for games anymore. Isn't there a monthly service with free games?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭recyclops

patq16 wrote: »

Where does it say chromecast 2,if it was a 2 I'd be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

recyclops wrote: »
    Where does it say chromecast 2,if it was a 2 I'd be interested.

It looks like 2 is after the Chromecast Ultra same as 3 is after the Controller in the pic I've attached . What can Ultra 2 do ove the standard Ultra.? I don't particularly need one but tis still tempting at that price.🙈
    Add on
    Just looking at the pic again.That actually might mean a second edition of the Ultra and not an Ultra 2.

Advertisement