Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High tax yokes, EV's and desperate commutes.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It's a lovely car but I'm guessing the tax is in or around 1200 a year so not really a buy at 1800. With 6 months tax on it then yeah, and hope you get your money back or close to it in a year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,352 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

2ndcoming wrote: »
    It's a lovely car but I'm guessing the tax is in or around 1200 a year so not really a buy at 1800. With 6 months tax on it then yeah, and hope you get your money back or close to it in a year's time.

1494 for a 3L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

1494 for a 3L

Ouch! Just drive until it’s taken from you at a checkpoint.

Worth something to export then but not a viable option in Ireland anymore sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Ouch.... F**k this country and it's motor tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Oops! wrote: »
    Ouch.... F**k this country and it's motor tax system.

It's how they'll push sales if EVs, once the numbers hit 25-30% they'll hammer them too

It's how they'll push sales if EVs, once the numbers hit 25-30% they'll hammer them too

I'd go back to an ass and cart before an EV.... The ass would have a greater range here in rural mid Tipp.:)

This is it, they're not anyway practical or ready for real use for most people but they're taxing the hole off everyone as if we're some kind of backwards ba5tards for driving the only vehicles that make sense for most people.

SIMI have a lot more to do with it then climate change does though, and the car manufacturers as well.

They figured out quick enough you don't make much money out of lads getting 600,000 miles out of VW Ventos and Skoda Octavias.

SIMI have feck all to do with it..... It's the manufactures themselves.

• Advertisement

Ahh SIMI have plenty to do with it, the comical number plates are the least of it.

They have a lot more to do with the high tax in Ireland than foreign manufacturers do. The manufacturers have got us on the reliability / easy diy fix side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is it, they're not anyway practical or ready for real use for most people but they're taxing the hole off everyone as if we're some kind of backwards ba5tards for driving the only vehicles that make sense for most people.

How many people do you know driving more than 150km per day?

Quazzie wrote: »

Plenty. Basically anyone on the road in their job will do that handy but the two bigger issues are that the infrastructure is not there to make them a viable option yet and when they decide to sit down, you ain't moving them.

Now for me personally, a Leaf or something would suit me down to the ground and I'm strongly considering it, I live near the job in a suburban area and do very low mileage every year but that doesn't mean I think we're at a stage where we should be recommending them to the average driver around the country. I would also need to keep a solid car for trips down the country / holidays / anything really outside my very handy commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Plenty. Basically anyone on the road in their job will do that handy but the two bigger issues are that the infrastructure is not there to make them a viable option yet and when they decide to sit down, you ain't moving them.

Now for me personally, a Leaf or something would suit me down to the ground and I'm strongly considering it, I live near the job in a suburban area and do very low mileage every year but that doesn't mean I think we're at a stage where we should be recommending them to the average driver around the country. I would also need to keep a solid car for trips down the country / holidays / anything really outside my very handy commute.

I would estimate that 90% of the car journey's in this country are less than 150km.

The truth is, for the average commuter who uses their car to primarily drive them to work and back, an EV is more than suitable. Most people would get by with just charging at home

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Before covid I'd have done that in a morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Likewise, pre Covid i was doing around 160k kms a day as were tens of thousands of others from Wicklow, north Wexford, Meath, Kildare etc.

Totally off topic for the thread but these are the people who would benefit from the running cost of an EV and the people who would make the biggest environmental impact by switching to one i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I know many. I do myself.

Lots, used to do it myself a few years ago, there is a country outside the M50

Likewise, pre Covid i was doing around 160k kms a day as were tens of thousands of others from Wicklow, north Wexford, Meath, Kildare etc.

Totally off topic for the thread but these are the people who would benefit from the running cost of an EV and the people who would make the biggest environmental impact by switching to one i'd say.
    It wouldn't do the round trip on a cold day

I dunno, a few years ago you might have been right but i think a good bit of stuff now could. The likes of an Ioniq or a Kona for example?

• Advertisement

I dunno, a few years ago you might have been right but i think a good bit of stuff now could. The likes of an Ioniq or a Kona for example?

Price of a Kona will buy a lot of petrol/diesel

But but..... Think of all the polar bears you'd be saving!:D

Absolutely, from a bangernomics point of view.

But for somebody buying a new car anyway, there is only around €1500 between a well spec'd diesel Golf and a Kona electric for example. It's just trying to get people to try it as an option.

There's definite scope there to make a real saving on your motoring costs.

Looks good on paper at least. Wouldn't be for me just yet though.

Absolutely, from a bangernomics point of view.

But for somebody buying a new car anyway, there is only around €1500 between a well spec'd diesel Golf and a Kona electric for example. It's just trying to get people to try it as an option.

There's definite scope there to make a real saving on your motoring costs.

Looks good on paper at least. Wouldn't be for me just yet though.

Cant see them holding their money , Leafs already showing signs of being poor resale, will be bangernomics territory any week now

• Registered Users Posts: 51,196 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to sit in a Kona. Reality is it's a 22k car costing 40k (close to 50k before grants) because its electric. Everything about it still feels like a car costing 22k, not 40k. Your not saving money on fuel with it being electric, your just paying for it up front. If your doing big mileage to justify that difference then your still doing it in the wrong car imo. I couldn't think of a worse place to be spending time on the road doing long commutes. Acceptable I suppose if someone else is paying for it but if I needed something for long commutes spending 40k of my own money on a Kona.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Cant see them holding their money , Leafs already showing signs of being poor resale, will be bangernomics territory any week now

Well wide of the mark there

Well wide of the mark there

They were around 8 grand dearer than a petrol Corrolla new, a 5 year old one is now worth 4-5 k less than a petrol Corrolla so where am I wide?

bazz26 wrote: »
    You need to sit in a Kona. Reality is it's a 22k car costing 40k (close to 50k before grants) because its electric. Everything about it still feels like a car costing 22k, not 40k. Your not saving money on fuel with it being electric, your just paying for it up front. If your doing big mileage to justify that difference then your still doing it in the wrong car imo. I couldn't think of a worse place to be spending time on the road doing long commutes. Acceptable I suppose if someone else is paying for it but if I needed something for long commutes spending 40k of my own money on a Kona.

Rather be in a beemer Bazz would ya :pac:?

I've ben in plenty of Konas.

I wouldn't be made up with it in terms of things like the size of the infotainment system screen and some of the switchgear but if you weren't excessively fussy with things like that, you probably wouldn't die inside it either, it's thoroughly acceptable and reasonably well spec'd and a long way from a 00's Accent.

I'm not particularly tring to shill a Kona here, but i dont think they are a terrible proposition for someone looking to buy a new car for a long-ish commute who would usually buy an ICE car in a similar price bracket.

Anyway, i think Steel spec makes a nice car of these. Healthy bit of tax and test, if you went to look at it, would you get it for €1k?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-ford-fiesta-1-2-nct-sept-21/26851846

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Rather be in a beemer Bazz would ya :pac:?

I've ben in plenty of Konas.

I wouldn't be made up with it in terms of things like the size of the infotainment system screen and some of the switchgear but if you weren't excessively fussy with things like that, you probably wouldn't die inside it either, it's thoroughly acceptable and reasonably well spec'd and a long way from a 00's Accent.

I'm not particularly tring to shill a Kona here, but i dont think they are a terrible proposition for someone looking to buy a new car for a long-ish commute who would usually buy an ICE car in a similar price bracket.

Anyway, i think Steel spec makes a nice car of these. Healthy bit of tax and test, if you went to look at it, would you get it for €1k?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-ford-fiesta-1-2-nct-sept-21/26851846

tring to shill, what does that even mean? Is no motoring thread safe from the EV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If it's not a 40k kona I don't even wanna see the bargain cars.

Advertisement